bjorklo

Astute Gator

AstuteGatorLogo_zpsobcqhg02.png

Made the upper chassis in Carbon Fiber, it does the job for sure stiffing the chassis. I will have to cut the pices a bit because they makes the body not fit that good.

DSC_574201_zpsdujvhmoa.jpg

DSC_574301_zps4hhrsymv.jpg

• Like 2

In off road vehicles, I have always found some flex and twist is better than having a fully rigid chassis. On road is totally different though. I always have my DB01R setup to flex slightly as having it set very stiff isn't that great for off road at all.James :)

Whoops, good thing they are easy to mount :-) when i start to run it i will try with and without and see if i notice any difference.

• Like 1

All depends on surface though. I may add. Astro turf (ie.e high grip, stiffness is good) but a proper offroad track i.e. large jumps and dirt you want a little flex and give in the chassis.

Love the thread though :) ....... can't wait to see the finished article. :)

EDIT ........ just seen those upper chassis brace shots and OMG they look gorgeous :) Single mounts front and rear like you have will allow flex, but will limit torsion flex. So your fine buddy :)

James

:)

• Like 2

Just a thought. Could you not do a full top deck with out the hinge battery lid and slid the battery in from the side? It might make the whole structure a little more resistant to torsional twist.

I need to get the laser cutter at work sorted so I can start playing like this, I am very jealous of this project

I have been thinking about that too, but i thought i would finish this direction first. If i do a 2nd version, i will try to make a whole upperdeck and a lowerdeck for saddlepack battery.

Oh, you got a laser cutter, all i got is a dremel.

• Like 1

All depends on surface though. I may add. Astro turf (ie.e high grip, stiffness is good) but a proper offroad track i.e. large jumps and dirt you want a little flex and give in the chassis.Love the thread though :) ....... can't wait to see the finished article. :)EDIT ........ just seen those upper chassis brace shots and OMG they look gorgeous :) Single mounts front and rear like you have will allow flex, but will limit torsion flex. So your fine buddy :)James :)

Thanks James :)

I hope to finish the car during the easter.

Good thing i went for that solution then, pure luck, hehe

• Like 1

No building done today, but I got my second set of front wheels and tires. These are used so I will be using em when running.

DSC_5779_zps1sbqjshy.jpg

• Like 2

SEXY

It's sexy and you know it :-) (and the rest of the lyrics to that song)

This chassis looks awesome, mate! It brings back to the hobby the craft spirit of the golden age, IMO.

Thanks jeekelemental, glad you like it.

I'm very eager to find out how it will perform after all this.

So it was you that got those wheels odd-arne.

Good pick up

Yepp, just had to have em. Didn't feel right to use both new astute wheels and tires :P

That guy always has some good stuff , he has helped me out heaps when i did my ta03 rebuild , all the hop ups he sells are awesome and well priced

• Like 1

That guy always has some good stuff , he has helped me out heaps when i did my ta03 rebuild , all the hop ups he sells are awesome and well priced

Yeah i must agree, have bought so much from him over the years at a very good price.

Some of the parts i have gotten from Banzaihobby

DSC_5804_zps81didpnh.jpg

Started mounting the front suspension

DSC_5806_zpsmgcp7l8r.jpg

• Like 1

Had all day of from work today so got some time to almost finish the chassis.

I got dampers from Percymon that I will be using when running, but first i will use the yellow cva's

DSC_5806_zpscfn1ungf.jpg

The mailman came on a visit today, so I got my final parts for the project

DSC_5809_zpst8dtxgv5.jpg

DSC_5808_zpsdlwgtalt.jpg

DSC_5810_zpsjzd6s8xe.jpg

DSC_5812_zpspm7fikdw.jpg

DSC_5813_zpsm33viigm.jpg

DSC_5814_zpsex2xew7d.jpg

DSC_5815_zpsjijc6pzm.jpg

DSC_5816_zpsfajhske2.jpg

DSC_5817_zpswbnsuefc.jpg

DSC_5818_zpshhsz4gxg.jpg

DSC_5819_zps2io9agtu.jpg

DSC_5820_zps6elfqrpe.jpg

DSC_5821_zpsihsb689u.jpg

DSC_5822_zpsipdjv97z.jpg

DSC_5823_zpswfcu8xyq.jpg

DSC_5824_zpshe74yyvr.jpg

DSC_5825_zpssq2awbi0.jpg

• Like 4

Great Job Odd-Arne - I'm just waiting for that final killer photo with the TRF shocks ;)

Um okay, THIS IS SEXY. HEY TAMIYA ARE YOU LOOKING?????? MAKE THIS. Wow, that is a stellar reinvention of a vintage body and car into the modern chassis era, even if you had to make the chassis yourself. Correct me if I am wrong, but most all the other parts are right off the shelf Tamiya aside from the hand made chassis. I have read this post now and again, but forgive me if I am asking the obvious question here, but it would certainly show Tamiya they can make great entry level, mid level and the gonzo crazy race dirt buggies like they did with the old looks and not the same jelly bean configurations that seem to come out of all the plants these days.

Very cool looking to me O-A, thanks for this.

• Like 2

HEY TAMIYA ARE YOU LOOKING?????? MAKE THIS.

Well, TBH if Tamiya is looking I think I'd rather see a high quality Astute re-release. This is great, and I love my version too... but a re-re Astute runner would be sweet. Might even set the stage for Madcap and/or KC re-re's.

• Like 2

I think that a Super Astute ReRe with TR15-T grey parts all around, Hi Cap dampers and Dyna Storm gearbox and slippery clutch would be the best option.

Max

Well, TBH if Tamiya is looking I think I'd rather see a high quality Astute re-release. This is great, and I love my version too... but a re-re Astute runner would be sweet. Might even set the stage for Madcap and/or KC re-re's.

• Like 2

Great Job Odd-Arne - I'm just waiting for that final killer photo with the TRF shocks ;)

Thanks :). I will try to get a photo tomorrow of it with the TRF dampers, i think they will look very nice on the chassis

Um okay, THIS IS SEXY. HEY TAMIYA ARE YOU LOOKING?????? MAKE THIS. Wow, that is a stellar reinvention of a vintage body and car into the modern chassis era, even if you had to make the chassis yourself. Correct me if I am wrong, but most all the other parts are right off the shelf Tamiya aside from the hand made chassis. I have read this post now and again, but forgive me if I am asking the obvious question here, but it would certainly show Tamiya they can make great entry level, mid level and the gonzo crazy race dirt buggies like they did with the old looks and not the same jelly bean configurations that seem to come out of all the plants these days.

Very cool looking to me O-A, thanks for this.

Thanks Crash C, glad you like it.

Well the front and rear dampertowers required some cutting, but except for that and the CF parts i made it's all parts from tamiya. Oh, i forgot the rear knuckles i'm not sure were are from.

• Like 1

Not done to much, but I mounted front and rear stabilizators

DSC_5830_zpsmeaa9mkt.jpg

DSC_5831_zpskesijivj.jpg

• Like 1

The car is now "finished"

DSC_5842_zpsog6dfgur.jpg

DSC_5843_zpsynk0ocxk.jpg

DSC_5844_zps1r2xxacv.jpg

DSC_5845_zpslcfatgxp.jpg

DSC_5846_zpsvt1srnlz.jpg

DSC_5847_zpsl7ukvxsn.jpg

DSC_5849_zpszo6sd5vn.jpg

DSC_5850_zps3tlqhlij.jpg

DSC_5851_zpspsmmccmw.jpg

DSC_5852_zpsiivzbibk.jpg

So i have to find or make a undercowl, mount all the electronics, white tire lettering and probably some stuff i have forgotten right now. update: mount the TRF dampers

DSC_5853_zpsipc8ngqv.jpg

• Like 6