XV Pilot

Stick radio on a tight budget - where to buy?

Hi all!

A colleague of mine is trying to re-enter the hobby on a very tight budget, and has asked me for my recommendations. He would prefer a stick radio, and I have been scouring my usual sources (Tamico, Modelsport, Fusion, the Sales section on here, etc.) for good deals, but so far I haven't come up with anything spectacular.

So I throw it open to your collective wisdom: where does one get the most affordable basic stick radio? No fancy features needed, just a really really good price?

All suggestions welcome!

• Like 1

Hi all!

A colleague of mine is trying to re-enter the hobby on a very tight budget, and has asked me for my recommendations. He would prefer a stick radio, and I have been scouring my usual sources (Tamico, Modelsport, Fusion, the Sales section on here, etc.) for good deals, but so far I haven't come up with anything spectacular.

So I throw it open to your collective wisdom: where does one get the most affordable basic stick radio? No fancy features needed, just a really really good price?

All suggestions welcome!

If he wants or is willing to go old school NOS vintage radio systems commonly sell for $30-40, which includes the radio, receiver and 2 servos. I scoop them up whenever I can get a good deal on one!

I'm stalking this one currently, but if he wants to go for it I don't need it. The listing said it's for airplanes, which is clearly incorrect being a standard 2-channel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371556734876

s-l1600.jpg

Buy a 4 or 6 chanel fly sky one and mod the sticks with hot glue for RC car use.

The turnigy ones are great from hobby King but need modding and postage is a killer

I need to order a couple so could split postage or sell you a used fly sky that had been modded as it is too big for my little girls hands

I'd suggest just scouring eBay for a good used Acoms or zfutaba handset and a suitable receiver and crystals (assuming your ok not being 2.4 GHz.

Many members have handsets lying around unused, I probably have three or four 2channel ones.

If you were interested then pm me, I'd be happy to check what I have and offer something useable for £5 plus postage (£3 probably). You'd need to find a receiver, but often they can be had for a fiver used

Carsons are cheap few on ebay transmitter receiver and servo £40 or without servo £32

Many members have handsets lying around unused, I probably have three or four 2channel ones.

I've got one that the sticks have snapped off,so either glue something on or drill and tap,cannot remember the make,27mhz,you can have.

I thought the exact same thing. :lol:

I have the DVD box set of the original Battlestar Galactica, it's fantastic! Along with all my other 80's favourites, Airwolf, Streethawk, A-Team, Knight Rider :)

• Like 3

I have the DVD box set of the original Battlestar Galactica, it's fantastic! Along with all my other 80's favourites, Airwolf, Streethawk, A-Team, Knight Rider :)

Love them all B) .

Not often you see Streethawk namechecked.

Not often you see Streethawk namechecked.

Too true. Can it be as good as I remember?

Think it strayed into the nineties but how about The Highwayman? Think it was another Glenn A Larsen production

Hilarious, I watched multiple episodes of Streethawk on youtube about a month ago after remembering it from my childhood. Man it's so laughable now... much like my copy of Summer Slam 88 on vhs :rolleyes:

That second Core radio looks like a cheap buy B) (I would still get the Futaba but that's just me).

• Like 1

I actually really enjoyed Streethawk rewatching it even if some of it was cringeworthy cheesy. A very young George Clooney turned out to be a suprise in one of the episodes as Jesse's best mate and a wheelman!

Anyone remember Automan? And of course Manimal?

Careful with that 2 channel stick radio that Beefmuffin linked.

It definitely IS a airplane-only radio system since it is on 72MHz. It is illegal to use that for ground-based vehicles in the USA.

It is probably for gliders.

(sorry Beef, not trying to trod on your helpful advice)

• Like 1

I actually really enjoyed Streethawk rewatching it even if some of it was cringeworthy cheesy. A very young George Clooney turned out to be a suprise in one of the episodes as Jesse's best mate and a wheelman!

Anyone remember Automan? And of course Manimal?

Ah Manimal who could change into any animal he wanted....... but only ever changed into a hawk or panther lol. The Fall Guy now there was a show Heather Thomas in the opening credits :wub:

Careful with that 2 channel stick radio that Beefmuffin linked.

It definitely IS a airplane-only radio system since it is on 72MHz. It is illegal to use that for ground-based vehicles in the USA.

It is probably for gliders.

(sorry Beef, not trying to trod on your helpful advice)

Oh really?? Dang! OK I was thinking 27Mhz instead of 72Mhz. Last think I want is for anyone to get arrested by notoriously brutal FCC agents. :lol::lol:

• Like 1

Thanks All for the suggestions. I will put them to my colleague tomorrow. Cheers!

Oh really?? Dang! OK I was thinking 27Mhz instead of 72Mhz. Last think I want is for anyone to get arrested by notoriously brutal FCC agents. :lol::lol:

Haha. You bring up a good point. I've never heard or read about someone actually getting arrested for using an airplane radio on a surface vehicle, but I suppose it has happened at least once somewhere.

With 2.4GHz as common as it is these days, the chances of having a conflict with someone flying a plane on 72MHz is likely pretty low, just because the old frequencies aren't in use as much as people switch over.

But even still, I'd never want to accidentally cause an airplane to fall out of the sky because I was using an air-only frequency either. It would be just my luck that some guy in my town was still using his old 72MHz radios.

I guess 2.4 GHz is free to be used for both surface and air? I don't even know. Most of my radios are on 75MHz. :)

If you use plane frequencies in the uk you can get in a lot of trouble. You're brca liability will be void. I don't know if it's the same on 2.4 but I've seen people turned away from clubs with plane controllers back in the day.