beefmuffin

Tamiya 'First 100'... cartoon caricatures!? Let's make it happen

Wouldn't it be cool to have caricatures like the below for the first 100 Tamiya R/Cs??

24871505390_581b4396e5_o.jpg

I've been chatting with the guy who's the artist behind these trying to persuade him to try it out with a few of the first 100, famously arranged in the below graphic...

First_100s_fullres.jpg

He said he's definitely interested, but very busy, and he doesn't know when he'd be able to get around to it. It also seems like he's pretty unfamiliar with vintage Tamiya. So I have the idea that we may be able to simultaneously (i) help him choose the first 1, 2 maybe 3 old school Tamiyas to try doing first by voting on each of our top 3 picks from the First 100 - in order of preference - that we'd love to see made into cartoon caricatures; and (ii) simply by doing so nudge him into action a little by seeing how much interest us Tamiya fanatics can muster over this sort of thing!

Sounds logical, right?? :lol:

Sooo... I'll start! Once a bunch of us have added our lists I'll tally them and come up with the top 3 based on the voting...

1. Super Champ
  2. Monster Beetle
  3. Bigwig

LETS SHOW THIS GUY HOW EXCITING THIS COULD BE FOR US !! IMAGINE IF HE DID A SERIES AND EVENTUALLY DID ALL 100 !! :D:o:rolleyes:

Heck, I bet he could set up a Cafe Press type thing where we could order up coffee mugs with quality cartoon versions of our favorite vintage Tamiya buggies on them --- just IMAGINE living in a world like that. :lol:

BEEFY, I am up for this, but my first question is WHERE did you get such a great res and size pic of the first 100?? It is my favorite "PR" photo of all time and I haven't found a photo that big and clean before.

Send me some mail and I will put my list of 3 out there too.

• Like 1

Paul is epic good at his buggies... love all his work. He is booked solid till July though I think hehe

I'd like to see...

Manta Ray

Hotshot

Grasshopper

K

• Like 1

BEEFY, I am up for this, but my first question is WHERE did you get such a great res and size pic of the first 100?? It is my favorite "PR" photo of all time and I haven't found a photo that big and clean before.

Send me some mail and I will put my list of 3 out there too.

I second this! I've wanted a good scan of this for as long as I can remember... Where on Earth did you find such a good copy?

• Like 1

It's funny you mentioned this. The other day I was thinking which tamiya first 100 models would I really like and found this. Is this what you're looking for?

Tamiya30yrs2_zpslihhkqcl.jpg

I have THIS poster, it is fun to look at, but IMHO has too many "modern" cars on it, I don't love JUST the first 100, but they do have a special place in my heart, otherwise I might only belong to Tamiya101 instead of TamiyaClub. ;)

I really hope he CAN find time to do the cars we get the most votes on, but boy would it be a dream to have the entire first 100 done eventually too, hopefully before he passes on. About 40 years from now, if I am still alive, you will see my old wrinkled self appear on Antiques Roadshow with my full folio of these prints to get them appraised along with some tacky costume jewelry and pottery. :lol:

HOTSHOT, HOTSHOT, HOTSHOT :D :D :D

I second, third and FOURTH this choice. :D

I second this! I've wanted a good scan of this for as long as I can remember... Where on Earth did you find such a good copy?

WHERE o WHERE did you get a scan so big.

and FINALLY my 3 pick

1) HotShot OBVIOUSLY

2) Blackfoot

3) Porsche 959

• Like 2

1. Sand Scorcher

2. Lunchbox

3. Egress

nice mix of chassis types :D

• Like 1

WHERE o WHERE did you get a scan so big.

Do you use Google Chrome? If so, just right click the image and click 'Search Google for This Image'. On the results page you will see near the top a link where you can see all sizes of the image found. Just look for the highest res image that looks to be from a legit source and there u go. I do it all the time.

This image is from our friend and TCer Larbut via Tamiyabase.com: http://www.tamiyabase.com/images/stories/First_100s_fullres.jpg

• Like 1

OK folks, I think most people who are going to vote have gotten their votes in so tonight I'll be pulling out the TI-85 and figuring out the current results!

Anyone who still hasn't voted, or knows someone who hasn't voted they can send the link and make sure they get their vote counted, try to get them in ASAP.

Soon after I have the votes tabulated I'll be reaching out to our artist to see his reaction!

Thanks everyone who've voted thus far and I think most of us are pretty excited about the possibility. It's just a little fun thing that we might be able to help usher into this world. :D

• Like 2

Thank you BEEF and thank you Lars for such a wonderful res of one of the best photos made by Tamiya. Where some folks don't like the fact that all the cars are NOT Box Art, I love it for that reason as well as the fact that they are a little out of order too. I can't wait to hear more news on this exciting project.

• Like 1

Nice idea,

1. Hornet

2. Bruiser

3. BigWig

The first two were easy for me, the last was harder, a tear up between Big Wig, Avante and Wild Willy.

• Like 1

A hard choice to pick only three !

1. Monster Beetle

2. Avante

3. Fox

• Like 1

My first choice is easy, and stop me if you've heard this before - Madcap!

Choices two and three are harder, but I keep leaning towards the better 4wds of the late 80's

1. Madcap

2. Egress

3. Terra Scorcher.

If I didn't love my Madcap so much, I'd remove it, move the others up one and sling a Vanquish into the mix.

• Like 1

If you do the Hotshot it would have to be a caricaturised version of the box art, it would be the only one that would do.

Actually that probably goes for a few of the first 100... Lunchbox, Hornet, Frog etc

• Like 1

OK the current results are in... as of right now the aggregated top 3 choices, factoring in and weighting people's individual top 3 choices are:

1) Hotshot

2) Sand Scorcher

3) Hornet

...by a healthy margin! If / when additional votes come in I'll update the tally to factor them in. But this is really mainly a heat map for what people would like to see and in what order so the exact vote count isn't critically important. Will reach out to our artist and let you all know what he has to say! :D

25220641581_1ec9911b2c_o.jpg

• Like 3

HUGE surprise about the Sand Scorcher on the high priority list. ;) Nice to see a potential on the Hotshot, but I will admit to being overly picky on how my favorite car is depicted, cartoon or not. Good luck on this Beefy.

• Like 1

BOO !! Boomerang just missed out the top 3 ......

• Like 1

BOO !! Boomerang just missed out the top 3 ......

Don't sulk Matty - none of my 3 picks are anywhere near the top. I guess I'm a weirdo! :lol:

I'm guessing if the maestro is game to do any he won't stop at 3 so the Boomer will prob make the cut.

• Like 1

Me: Hey Paul - so I went ahead and took the temp of the Tamiya hounds over at the Tamiyaclub forum to see how much excitement there'd be if you found the time to focus some of your artistic mojo on some of the most beloved vintage Tamiya models and you can read for yourself - you'd be a hero.

Paul: Awesome stuff Ben, I will keep you posted of what is possible asap, many thanks for your time and support with me and my works, this is something else, many thanks, top man

Me: Awesome! Will let the group know. You want to write a sentence or two yourself I can post there on your behalf?

Paul: Yeah that would be awesome, just let me all know that o appreciate their support and look forward to creating cartoons for them all
  • Like 2

Me: Hey Paul - so I went ahead and took the temp of the Tamiya hounds over at the Tamiyaclub forum to see how much excitement there'd be if you found the time to focus some of your artistic mojo on some of the most beloved vintage Tamiya models and you can read for yourself - you'd be a hero.

Paul: Awesome stuff Ben, I will keep you posted of what is possible asap, many thanks for your time and support with me and my works, this is something else, many thanks, top man

Me: Awesome! Will let the group know. You want to write a sentence or two yourself I can post there on your behalf?

Paul: Yeah that would be awesome, just let me all know that o appreciate their support and look forward to creating cartoons for them all

Sweet , looks like he's keen . Thanks , Mr Beef . This is going to be amazing to see what he come's up with .

I'm sure he said that he would do the boomerang :lol: "OH" sorry that was me ( dam glass's ) << my new blame for every thing :D ..

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be cool to have caricatures like the below for the first 100 Tamiya R/Cs?

Nope

Nope

Fair enough. In the next tally I will incorporate your votes as follows:

1. The Holiday Sand Grumpy <_<
  2. Willy's I Don't Like Fun Turbo -_-
  3. You Kids Get Off My Lawn Dragon! :angry:
  • Like 5

Nope

Boo, boo, boo!!! (Those were disapproval boos not the jumping out and trying to scare someone boos :lol: )

Beef you know how the saying goes. You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. Or something along those lines :D . And you've definately pleased some people.

Bring on the tamiya caricatures. I want my hornet. ;)

• Like 1