beefmuffin

Tamiya 'First 100'... cartoon caricatures!? Let's make it happen

Quick update! I've been in touch with the artist, Paul, this morning and he's ready to get started with the first on the list (rhymes with swat snot).

There's more to mention and will elaborate over the weekend!

• Like 4

Hey everyone - sorry for the delay in following up on this. Have been really busy at work and generally a mess.

Here's the current status - the artist, Paul Pike, is very keen to get to work on the first entry -- by popular vote, the Hotshot !!

He's been looking over some pictures of vintage Hotshots, and I owe him some examples still, but I suggested he should see one in person. So I'm reaching out to a couple TCers who live in adjacent towns to him (he lives in Sunderland, Durham in the UK) to see if Paul might be able to meet them and have a look up close and personal with a vintage Hotshot.

In the mean time, Team Associated have a link to his drawing of the RC10 up on their website to download as desktop wallpaper (!):

https://www.teamassociated.com/multimedia/wallpaper/action/315-paul_pike_rc10/

...and they even have a pic of him on their official Facebook page drawing another one of their buggies:

https://www.facebook.com/TeamAssociated/photos/a.10153525465401864.1073741886.59162621863/10153529923851864/?type=3&theater

12888520_10153529923851864_2252993257951

OK the current results are in... as of right now the aggregated top 3 choices, factoring in and weighting people's individual top 3 choices are:

1) Hotshot

2) Sand Scorcher

3) Hornet

...by a healthy margin!

Great! I think it couldn't have been better! Especially the Hornet, how cool.
  • Like 2

Bit late to this, but - great idea! The RC10 image is excellent.

I have only skimmed through all this, but assume that Paul is inspired by the late Dave Deal's illustrations? - http://www.rodauthority.com/news/remembering-big-dave-deal-who-brought-hot-rod-cartooning-to-life/

2 other thoughts...

1) The First 100 poster is not without it's flaws. e.g. many cars are the wrong colour - Rough Rider, Hilux, Brat and many more. Porsche 959 is lacking it's main sponsor decals. Cars are out of release order. And many more problems. The cars in the First 100 poster should have been nothing less than the ones used for the annual catalogue images, as those are the truest representations IMHO. But they botched it through just...laziness frankly. It's still a great poster, just not quite what it should have been.

2) I hope he always illustrates the original vintage cars with original decals/logos. No fakes! ;)

We trust you will guide things along safely, beefmuffin ;)

H.

• Like 1

2) I hope he always illustrates the original vintage cars with original decals/logos. No fakes! ;)

We trust you will guide things along safely, beefmuffin ;)

Yeah H. it would be a tragedy to put effort into a drawing of a re-re Hotshot or ___. Paul, not being familiar at all really with Tamiya (a bit to my amazement) was more or less completely unaware that there are differences between the re-re's and originals. That's why I wanted to make sure he met up with some members in person to study their examples of real-deal vintage models... in the flesh, so to speak.

He's been a little busy lately... seems like he's been in hot demand suddenly. I've seen some R/C contests announced recently where the grand prize is an autographed print of one of his drawings. But I did hear from him the other day... so I'm confident he'll come through for us when he's able. I noticed he's added info to his website about his art being done as paid commissions. I told him we didn't have it in mind that we'd pony up $ for this up front... but I suggested that if he makes his illustrations available on merch like mugs, t-shirts, etc on those sorts of websites he'd get paid a bit every time one of us buys something like that. Which, if they are popular (it's possible) could add up and be financially rewarding for him despite the essentially "pro bono" arrangement.

The TCers who've agreed to meet up with him are Wandy and Ducatikid. I've put them all in touch via email... so hopefully that happens soon.

When there are any further developments I'll post an update here!

• Like 1

The RC10 drawing is insanely cool. Paul's work is amazing!

Late but my three are :-

Sand Scorcher

Grasshopper

Frog.

I seriously can't believe the frog didn't make the top three. So many units sold, and such a legend.

Keep us posted on progress. I'd buy coffe mugs etc that had Paul's work printed on them without hesitation.

• Like 1

Hey guys - OK time for an update.  I'd been meaning to post this for a couple weeks now but with the forum change, etc I got distracted!

So Paul got back to me with 4 rough sketches for the Hotshot piece and wants to know which one people like the most.

So - once again, it's votin' time!!

Have a look at the 4 sketches and reply either with your favorite one, or all four in descending order of preference (either is fine).  We'll give it till this coming weekend for everyone to have a say, then I'll tally up and let Paul know which one people like most.  Here they are...

NUMBER 1: z2oI4rT.jpg

NUMBER 2: 6vJ9iBu.jpg

NUMBER 3: TDWQOtQ.jpg

NUMBER 4: CWiJGUW.jpg

• Like 2

As the caricatures all seem to depict the hotshot on a racetrack, it would be good to have some smaller images in the cartoon of the cars it superseded being left in it's wake / struggling to keep up (SRBs or Frog maybe)

• Like 2

I'd be siding with 2-3-4-1. 

Thinking #2 is the more familiar 'box art' of the options? 

• Like 1

Well, I don't want to sound *******y, BUT, most of them are leaving me feel the car is more like a Fox than the Hotshot, could be the lack of color or the whole caricatures of it all, but, I am leaning towards 3 and 4 with the front tires nearly the same size as the rears in diameter vs the other two where they look (TO ME) more like a 2wd set up size wise.

Hope this criticism is helpful and not all that sounding angry or what have you. The last thing I would want is to feel that I squashed some cool art of cars we all love since this is the first one he is doing, don't want him thinking we are all stuffy and can't think out of a box.

• Like 1

3 4 1 2   for the same reason as Crash (wheel sizing), plus the fact i'm not keen on seeing the race track lane edging

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Well, I don't want to sound *******y, BUT, most of them are leaving me feel the car is more like a Fox than the Hotshot, could be the lack of color or the whole caricatures of it all, but, I am leaning towards 3 and 4 with the front tires nearly the same size as the rears in diameter vs the other two where they look (TO ME) more like a 2wd set up size wise.

Hope this criticism is helpful and not all that sounding angry or what have you. The last thing I would want is to feel that I squashed some cool art of cars we all love since this is the first one he is doing, don't want him thinking we are all stuffy and can't think out of a box.

LOL no worries, Chris.  I'll pass along your input and just tell him it comes from a grumpy old Texan lady TC member. :P

• Like 1

For me it is most movment and action in nr 3, so 3 it is. 

• Like 1

Why are they doing a massive endo off the jumps? 

• Like 1

3.  But again not happy with wheels.  dont mind an exaggeration (which I appreciate is what a caricature is!) but not at the expense of them looking like they belong on a frog

Of course all are better than I could do and so please dont take above as anything more than constructive

• Like 1