Sign in to follow this  
RcMadness74

Tamiya Super Sabre

I have been looking for a decent Sabre for quite some time now. I ended up getting luck and picking this up at auction. The box is pretty crispy but came with a bunch of original documentation. The model has a little rust here and there but looks like it was barely run. This will get in line for a restoration and will probably live its days as a shelfer. I will let the pics speak for themselves.

20160111_205604_zpsqfwdzqul.jpg

20160111_205526_zpstw9udmna.jpg

Not sure what transmitter it had but looks the same as my old Futaba. Does anyone over the big pond have the radio that matches this documentation?

20160111_205516_zpsmqga6e76.jpg

20160111_205327_zpsfmv8jcij.jpg

20160111_205313_zpssomyitz0.jpg

20160111_205244_zpsk4jvbp9y.jpg

20160111_205224_zpssybwowxz.jpg

20160111_205136_zpswaffgqzj.jpg

• Like 6

It does look like it had very little running,

I picked one up at Christmas in a similar state, it cleaned up very well and drives even better

I am looking forward to your restoration

I probably won't get to this one for awhile. Currently I'm working on a Hot Shot, its original but I don't think its a Mk1. I have purchased way too many models the last few months. I'm going to post the ones I'm keeping and then continue the thread as I get to restoring them.

• Like 1

This SS looks to be in great shape. Hope you get to it sometime soon and good luck with your HS. PS, I have WAY too many projects as well, along with 90% of the others here. LOL

Should clean up nicely. Great find.

I actually like this car a lot and prefer it to the Boomer, but it seems to have a smaller fan club than it's better known cousin. Still - a lovely buggy IMHO.

Yes, great catch! Congrats!

The Sabre was my first RC Kit, too - it is still waiting to be refurbished.

Are you planning to put in some Upgrades/mods?

I was searching for some mod parts but did not find a lot:

RadshapeRC: Boomerang and Hotshot Front Suspension conversion V2, Boomerang front bumper upgrade

Tamiya Supershot Joints and Propeller shaft

CRP 1650 front arm Stabilizer

also got a ***** Body (Sabre was once run over by a real car - survived, but the Body did not take it well)

additionally I found: RCChannel.com Hotshot front and rear arms - did not buy it ($$$) and I am not sure whether they will fit the Super Sabre

Are there other Upgrades/mods worth hunting for?

I find that Thundershot universal joints front and rear make a huge difference, bearings and a steel pinion are a must, and pending your taste modern wheels and tyres

I find that Thundershot universal joints front and rear make a huge difference, bearings and a steel pinion are a must, and pending your taste modern wheels and tyres

thanks for the advice, i'll check availability and $ in the local store, or at ebay. regarding the ball bearings, i exchanged the plastic ones immediately after purchase.

any thoughts about ther rcchannel metal arms?

I nearly bought the rcchannel hotshot kit several times, but it was nearly as expensive as a hotshot kit.

A member here Madracer has the arms fitted, says the quality is very good but the only issue is the weight, you really need a brushless fitted which sort of defeats the purpose on a vintage car

Hotshot rcchannel arm kit is heavy as snappy has said & put pressure on gearbox etc .

found the Thundershot joints at a reasonable price and bought them; i guess I pass on the rcchannel parts and save the $ for something completely different :-)

That radio looks like a clone of the Airtronics VT2P, might be easier to find and will probably work with your vintage receiver, check your crystal first to see what freq range you need (27, 75, etc). I have that radio but Im way over in Canada.

I have the same radio, was just trying to find the one it had, I know strange, LOL. I am going to keep this baby as a stock shelfer. I have a couple Hot Shot Mk1s, one I was going to restore and the other sell on ebay. I have it on there now but thinking of pulling it and running it.