Grumpy pants

Current Servo Recommnedation Pls

Morning All,

I looked at the Hobby King website last night and I quite simply got lost in the vast choice.

My thinking was metal geared? Circa £6.00 for example-

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23487__HobbyKing_8482_HK15328A_Analog_Servo_BB_MG_12_8kg_0_20sec_58g.html

Water proof as well.

I'm guessing digital for Ghz radio gear?

Apologies for sounding thick and asking a well asked question btw.

Simon

What's it for, the blitzer? Servo's are all about what the intended application is. i.e, a f1 or drift car you wouldn't need much torque to turn the wheels (small contact patch), so 5-7kg would be more than enough, but drift cars and f1 cars require precise and fast steering so you would want between 0.8 and .12 sec/60, where as a monster truck (like a front mount clod or agrios) you would want decent torque 10-15kg for those massive wheels and about .15-.18 sec/60 would be ok because the big beasts don't react quickly. Also take into account speed, if you are making something go the speed of light then steering responsiveness would need to go up.

Metal gears are more a supplement for possible damage, making your servo saver more responsible for the work of the impact etc. i.e, you wouldn't use metal gears in a f1 car or drifter as the steering isn't as suspectable to damage (or you may run metal gears and no saver) and your buggies crawlers etc and such where the wheels aren't really hidden behind bumpers anymore and get knocked about, would benefit from metal gears.

• Like 1

Morning All,

I looked at the Hobby King website last night and I quite simply got lost in the vast choice.

My thinking was metal geared? Circa £6.00 for example-

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23487__HobbyKing_8482_HK15328A_Analog_Servo_BB_MG_12_8kg_0_20sec_58g.html

Water proof as well.

I'm guessing digital for Ghz radio gear?

Apologies for sounding thick and asking a well asked question btw.

Simon

Or the Allturn AAS700 from Modelsport at ca £7 - that one is definitely waterproof. The HK ones are good value, but its described as anaolg in the header and not sure they actually are WP

• Like 1

analog and digital servos will work with any radio.

that said, digital servos can be jittery on older radio gear, as an example the steering servo on my serpent sct was a digital one running through a spektrum sr3000 rx, my tx is a ko propo ex10 helios with a spektrum 2.4 ghz module installed, I changed the servo to an older ko propo one I had, and the jitter I was getting is gone.

metal gear vs nylon gear:

metal gears are stronger yes, but, at the same time have a higher wear rate, and as I found out a strong impact shock that's transferred back to the servo will snap teeth off the gears.

Nylon gears aren't as strong as metal, but in general they will out last any other part of the servo due to having the least amount of friction.

Now the question is, are you wanting this servo for the blitzer? if so, an analog servo of 3 to 9kg will be more than strong enough, and a speed somewhere around the 0.1 to 0.15 sec for 60 degrees of travel is where you want to look.

Not long ago I brought 4 of these: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__42370__Turnigy_8482_DRFT_303_1_10th_D_Spec_Steering_Servo_4_5kg_0_10sec_39g.html they are quick turning, and 4.5 kg force on almost all 2wd cars will be enough, a mate of mine was running one in his brushless 1/10 scale 4wd monster truck with no issues. the only down side to it is the wide neutral range. or in other words, in a on road car the steering doesn't return to dead straight properly, but with off road that doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Having had poor experiences with the HK servos I have tried in the past (jittering, poor centering, badly-moulded casings, etc) I won't recommend them.

My go-to budget servo these days is the Alturn AAS700. Proper waterproof (it works submerged just fine) with reliable electronics and neat mouldings, it has plastic gears but is ballraced and at 4.7kg and 0.12sec it has enough speed and power for most 1/10 scale applications.

• Like 3

I've got Futaba S3003 and Savöx SC-0254MG servos in my cars, depending on use in light or heavy cars.

Out of my own experience, I don't go for cheapest servos anymore. They often incorporate one or several of these problems:

- slow response

- lack of torque

- loud hum/buzz noise even when not turning

- bad centering

- do not fit in some cars (e.g. XV-01) due to off dimensions

- proprietary hub (e.g. Hitec 24 teeth spline) doesn't fit Tamiya's supplied servo savers (must be JR/Acoms/Sanwa 23 teeth or Futaba/Tamiya/Savöx 25 teeth)

• Like 3

Depending on the chassis you're going to use it in, I would steer away (see what I did there?) from Savöx for two reasons:

- They consume quite a lot of power in comparisson to some other brands of servos, which in combination with large wheels and batteries with limited capacity can lead to 'brownouts' (your ESC shutting down for a second or two and then powering up again). I am having this issue with my Mad Bull running a mild brushless set-up (had it too when I was still running brushed motors) combined with a 4000 mAh 40C 2S Lipo. The servo in question is a Savöx SC-1258TG. I am going to order a glitch buster which is supposed to solve the problem, but I am not yet sure it will. But if you are running higher spec batteries or set-ups that do not demand these amounts of power, you could of course be hassle-free. Or if you're simply using a Savöx servo with lesser specs (the one I'm using has 12 Kg-cm of torque and a speed of 0.08 sec at 6v, so that is quite taxing on the power supply of course).

- They are slightly 'higher' than Futaba and Hitec servos, which means they might not fit in certain chassis. Again, the same SC-1258TG does not fit in the Novafox or the DT-02 chassis (I know by experience).

Otherwise these servos feel very solid and I know a lot of people who run them and are very happy with them. I am not saying they are bad servos at all. Just thought I'd share my experience so you wouldn't get disappointed ;)

• Like 3

I stay away from cheap servos too, they always have some sort of issue, noise, jitter, etc, thats why they are cheap. Stick with Futaba or Hitec and you'll be just fine.

• Like 1

I've been really impressed with the performance of the Savox metal geared (always been a Futaba fan) but I'm not sold on the power consumption of them yet. I need to do some testing!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for looking in and posting your recommendations.

I really appreciate it, I would have replied before now, but this week has been quite intense so far!

Yes for the Blitzer, but also for my Wheeler and then probably the Lunchbox and WW2 when I get to them.

Thanks everyone for looking in and posting your recommendations.

I really appreciate it, I would have replied before now, but this week has been quite intense so far!

Yes for the Blitzer, but also for my Wheeler and then probably the Lunchbox and WW2 when I get to them.

honestly, you'll get all the speed and power you want out of the servo's I linked for the blitzer, lunchbox, and WW2, the wheeler is a different kettle of fish, due to the centering problem with the ones I linked, you will want to look at better quality servos that demand a higher price for the wheeler, something along the lines of a hitech with a kg rating around the 4-7 mark, and turn time of 0.15 seconds or less, and it doesn't matter if you go standard profile or low profile, a low profile will reduce the weight in the front, making the wheelie rigs more likely to well wheelie, which is what they are supposed to do, so it doesn't really matter lol

• Like 1

I have used the hobbyking servos for ages and they are OK..

Only had one out of 25 fail and I get them very wet at times.

I have now started using the bluebird ones they sell..

They have alot less play and much higher torque.

• Like 1

I used only Futaba gear for years, but now I use a mixture of servos from different manufacturers, and apart from the HobbyKing ones, I haven't been severely disappointed by any of them.

The HPI waterproof ones I have tried are still going strong, and are proper waterproof too. I use one in my wife's boat.

My Savox digital ones are giving fantastic service in my higher-performance models.

My high-torque waterproof Futaba ones work brilliantly in my CC-01 where one has been modded to work as a winch.

The basic Acoms and Alturn servos I use in my fun bashers haven't skipped a beat.

The higher-spec Alturns in my Twin Detonator are equally reliable and very strong, especially now that they have two ESCs feeding them power.

The Tamiya servo (which I suspect is a rebadged Futaba) that is currently in my wife's Rising Fighter is doing a sterling job.

All in all there seem to be a lot of good choices out there. Just choose a spec appropriate to the task, maybe consider avoiding HobbyKing, and all should be well! :)

• Like 2

I've gone for this one for the Blitzer today-

I've just realised that I bought Analogue instead of digital though!

image_17.jpeg

That is fine - unless you are fitting it to a precision race machine or using AVC, it is unlikely you'll notice any difference between analogue and digital anyway.

• Like 2

I've got Futaba S3003 and Savöx SC-0254MG servos in my cars, depending on use in light or heavy cars.

When I can get a Futaba S3003 for about $10 I don't see the value in getting something cheaper. These are great for general bashing duties in just about any Tamiya rig. Something that requires more torque because of large tires it's smart to go something like the SC-0254MG that GregM suggested or up to an SW-0230MG if the thing is going to get wet. Large tires or water will kill a lot of servos so it's better to spend a little now than a lot later on frequent replacements.