mongoose1983

Hornet body project. Exciting but...

Last week in a local trade I got some nice Tamiya stuff. A Grasshopper roller chassis and this Hornet body. I am excited, but I presume this sucker is going to take away a whole lot of energy from me to correct.

Now the body is perfect. No cracks at all, never been ran! BUT the thing was painted with I don't know what kind of paint, obviously not the correct one! Now the original owner told me the paint was cracking "you can remove it with a soft scratch". I tried it and it came out very easy. Now here's the problem: the paint doesn't come easy on all of the bodyshell. What to do now???

Any ideas?

Please remember I am located on the other side of the world, and I don't have access to the same type of products you can find easily on your end.

Here's some photos:

IMG_6677_zpsubcz430g.jpg?t=1456204812

The chassis is my original 1984 Hornet. As you can see it is temporarily fitted with GH axle attaching bits, I'll change that when I receive the axle springs I got for it -the ones I had were sold with the other car last month:

IMG_6668_zpsam4rblfe.jpg?t=1456204766

Don't you say a thing! I have a driver for it, but no fog lights. Must locate a pair!

IMG_6671_zps2uj50vgq.jpg?t=1456204788

IMG_6679_zpsaidrsgui.jpg?t=1456204763

Here's the body in all it's "glory" :)

IMG_6687_zpsyqpkkipr.jpg?t=1456204705

IMG_6686_zps3crgjsq7.jpg?t=1456204710

I'm positive I can make out of this a great looking Hornet, the correct buggy I always wanted! I already have paint and decals ready for it... it's just that I have to remove all this nasty blue paint off of it. I have stripped a lots of bodies before, but not one made of polycarbonate yet.

I tried graffiti remover. It does something but not as easy as I expected. I also tried with brake fluid, which did not do a thing to it.

Any ideas?

You all have a fantastic Wednesday! :)

• Like 3

I used a product called De-Solv-It available in most hardware stores. It is a grease and graffiti remover and it works quite well without making the Lexan cloudy or brittle. The decals were unharmed on the outside. The "contractor's grade" works better than the regular strength but both seemed to soften up the paint so it could be scrubbed off.

It was a slow process and required a lot of patience and scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush - repeat often until finished. Not quick, but I stripped a truck body for my Twin Detonator in one day.

Not sure if it is available where you are, but I've tried a lot of things and this worked the best for Lexan of anything that I've tried with one exception - a product called "Chameleon" made by a company called Walther's (if memory is correct) but the company appears to have gone out of business around 2009 or so and unless you can find a bottle on a shelf in an old hobby store it is no longer available.

Word of caution: DON'T use De-Solv-It to strip paint on hard bodies as it will make them soft and ruin them. Figured that out the hard way.

• Like 1

Tamiya polycarbonate cleaner works to remove ps paints but might not work on your shell, if the paint is flaking off its probably not a lexan specific paint.

Tardis is a vehicle valeting tar remover available in the uk, it performs and smells the same as tamiya polycarbonate cleaner.

I doubt you'll be able to source either locally :(

Some graffiti removers work on lexan but most destroy it, clouding the lexan and making it brittle.

One option could be to paint the outside with ps paint, and if not glossy enough top it with clear lacquer ?

I should mention the shell that I cleaned with De-Solv-It was also either painted with the wrong paint or perhaps not properly cleaned of possible contaminates &/or oil residue prior to painting - or maybe even wrong paint and poor prep work. The paint flaked off in great huge patches just like the pictures above, but what didn't flake off was nearly impossible to remove. The De-Solv-It cleaner and lots of elbow grease did the trick though.

Yup, that is exactly the stuff. It takes a while and several repetitions before the paint gets soft and rather gooey and then you can scrub it off with a stiff bristle brush and a lot of rinsing in warm water. Seemed to work OK and I was surprised that it didn't lift any of the decals on the outside of the shell since it was a rather messy affair. It hasn't made any of the shells I've done cloudy or brittle either. Not the quickest or easiest method, but it seemed to work just fine and the smell wasn't awful either, unlike some things I've tried.

Curious to read that old thread and to see that De-Solv-It wasn't available in the U.S. back then. It is quite common now.

If the paint is that brittle and flaky, I'd first try running it through the dishwasher. Hot water should at least knock off a lot more of the loose stuff, and leave you with less to worry about with solvents. Maybe try carefully bending the body in a few places first to help the paint cracks along, as well.

If the paint is that brittle and flaky, I'd first try running it through the dishwasher. Hot water should at least knock off a lot more of the loose stuff, and leave you with less to worry about with solvents. Maybe try carefully bending the body in a few places first to help the paint cracks along, as well.

Then speak to a solicitor about the divorce papers you were just served with if the Missus catches you doing this.... :lol:

This is basically crowning a horrible day.

It wasn't enough with me not being able to buy one freakin' ticket for the final Julio Iglesias show next March (It was some effort but the old goat sold out the place in less than 24 hours) but I also lost an hour, burnt my fingers, lost a $60 body by taking chances, AND I sure lost my opportunity to finally have a decent looking Hornet buggy.

Man, I can't not even name the feeling!

:(

C5IrZv3.jpg

What a shame, what did you use to try to remove the paint?

I know this might sound odd, but I used brake fluid to remove paint from plastic items. It will removed the paint and not damage the plastic.

Well, you can still paint the outside, cut out the side windows and install window netting

Trying to find some positive ;)

My tried and true method is using nitro fuel and a soft paint brush to gently scrub the paint off.

Never use brake fluid or oven cleaner to try and strip lexan. It will damage the lexan

What a shame, what did you use to try to remove the paint?

I know this might sound odd, but I used brake fluid to remove paint from plastic items. It will removed the paint and not damage the plastic.

A chemical paint remover made by Passol. I tried before brake fluid on this body, but it did nothing to the paint.

Well, you can still paint the outside, cut out the side windows and install window netting

Trying to find some positive ;)

Thanks, mate. Well, that is one possibility if I wanted to sell it. But I have no parts to start a chassis to sell as a complete car. Anyway, it's always good to have some positive perspective!

My tried and true method is using nitro fuel and a soft paint brush to gently scrub the paint off.

Never use brake fluid or oven cleaner to try and strip lexan. It will damage the lexan

Oh, I wish you had commented here before, Jim!

Anyway, I will try something else with this Hornet body. I have no other options, now. Let's see if I can find a way.

You all have a fantastic Sunday! :)

In the instructions for the vintage cars with polycarbonate shells, it always used to recommend lightly sanding the shell to 'key' it before painting. I would simply try sanding the paint off with wet and dry. It's time consuming and more effort than chemical strippers, but it won't damage the plastic or make it brittle. I've stripped polycarb shells of tamiya paint before now by simply scraping it off with a screwdriver and then sanding the shell afterwords.

• Like 1

Well, I haven't touched the ruined Hornet body in months now...

INSTEAD I got a new one in exchange with TCer pizzachaude from Canada. Thank you Martin! Well, here's what I did with it. I am very sad the camera can not capture and show the real color of the car. Believe me, the dark brown and gold bars look far better than what you can see in these photos!

Tamiya Hornet 1984 restoration vintage RC photo IMG_7531_zpski9kjcor.jpg

I've spent many hours, not just two or three getting the decals in place. Oh, what a complex thing to do -I'm happy I'm doing this now, and not back in the 80's. It takes some serious skills! Fortunately, It turned out good.

Tamiya Hornet 1984 restoration vintage RC photo IMG_7665_zpsyy27lhuk.jpg

Dark brown, and golden bars look oh, so nice!

Tamiya Hornet 1984 restoration vintage RC photo IMG_7558_zpsew0ax5xd.jpg

I don't have fog lights or the original driver for it. BUT that gave me the chance to go back and use my "custom" driver ;)

Tamiya 1984 Hornet orig. Gene Simmons KISS driver photo IMG_7656_zpsmqcxrjdp.jpg

It's the God of Thunder himself, NOT your regular Greg Martin! B)

Tamiya Hornet 1984 Gene Simmons driver KISS photo IMG_7658_zps1xj4t5lj.jpg

I'm all smiles now. :D

I'll turn and try something else with the ruined body. I have some idea for it. You guys know I don't throw away expensive stuff just like that, I'm going to find GOOD USE for that one you take my word ;)

Tamiya Hornet 1984 restoration vintage RC photo IMG_7662_zpsbtdzisqu.jpg

You all have a good Saturday! :)

• Like 5

On 18/6/2016 at 3:40 AM, mongoose1983 said:

Well, I haven't touched the ruined Hornet body in months now...

[...]

I'll turn and try something else with the ruined body. I have some idea for it. You guys know I don't throw away expensive stuff just like that, I'm going to find GOOD USE for that one you take my word ;)

Well it happened the buddy I got this used Hornet body from show me some pictures of how he stripped his Axial Wraith body a few weeks ago using regular house paint solvent and a piece of cloth. I happened to have a bottle of that here at home, as I painted a couple of rooms a few years ago. So I tried it and worked fine, and now this is as far as I'm going to go with this old Hornet body, now that I just got another one of these classic chassis here to experiment.

Hornet buggy bodyshell stripped (re-re) photo IMG_8327_zpsjfif7qrd.jpg

I'm wondering now if one of these small bottles would do for a Hornet body. What do you guys think? The wing is still painted blue, so it would match alright.

g186016.jpg

Well done buddy, Considering how that body was looking :o Putting it down then coming back to it was a good move, That paint will be a close match but you'll always notice a deference :mellow: However It will be an excellent runner body :D

• Like 1

Good job on your hornet body. The shell which you've had difficulty removing the paint from looks much better now you've used the house paint solvent too.

I've just refurbished an old tamiya and the paint was a horrible dark blue. I'd done a quick paint job on it 16 years ago and not even masked the windows. I think I had in my head at the time if I do a rough job on the body I'll actually use the car as a basher instead of do a really nice paint and decal job and just sit it on a shelf.

I recently thought I need to repaint it but remembered this thread you made back in February and the trouble you had removing the paint from tbe polycarbonate shell. I must have heard somewhere that nail varnish remover removes paint really easily. I borrowed some from one of the female family members  (as a bloke I never had the need for any :lol:, power to any guys that do use nail varnish though! ;)). And the nail varnish remover worked a treat. It seemed to weaken the paint in a matter of seconds and could then be rubbed off with a cotton wool ball. It didn't break the paint down to the point it left any smearing on the plastic either which was more than I could have asked for. Stripped the shell completely of paint well within an hour. The colour removed was a very dark blue and I resprayed it tamiya ps3 which is a very light blue so any remaining paint would have shown up badly. So I was really impressed with the nail varnish remover.

This is how it started...

20150303_002846-2_zps7mvzutkx.jpg

This is after the paint removal with the nail varnish remover...

20160811_190325_zpsftvbdayd.jpg

And how it turned out in the end... 

20160824_162311_zpsw6t0wemt.jpg

I'm not sure on the coverage that paint pot will provide mongoose. I tend to use the small tamiya polycarbonate spray cans which are 250ml (I think). Sure someone will come along that knows.

• Like 2

It's amazing what you did with that old, beat-up looking bodyshell Terz1! Well, I tried nail varnish remover on this Hornet body, and it did nothing to the paint-and I mean nothing at all. I really have no clue about what type of paint was used in it, it's like nothing I've seen before.

I do like learning more about other TCers experiences about the subject. Right now I have a original Avante that I would love to have the chance to repaint. Something must be done to make that ugly buggy look a bit better! :rolleyes:

Have a good Sunday! :)

• Like 2