mongoose1983

Hornet body project. Exciting but...

Thanks mongoose :). When I started I thought this won't turn out as well as I'd like because the shell was such a mess but I was pretty pleased with it. Like you said I wonder what paint they used on yours? Mine was definitely the proper tamiya polycarbonate stuff and still stuck to the shell and flexed with the body after 16 years but when you mentioned the paint was cracking off the the shell in places in didn't sound like the same stuff.

Oh wow you've got an original avante! :wub: I sold mine as a kid and have regretted it ever since. Like you I love seeing what other people do with their tamiya and the experiences they have. The more pictures and ideas people put on here the better.

Good luck repainting your next hornet shell and I'd love to see your avante and what you decide to do with it next.

Mongoose,

Where did you get that Olympia Beer decal? I must know, I can hit the old brewery with a rock from my house ;) 

If it was me with that blue hornet body, Erich, I would mask off the windows and get some 800 grit sandpaper and sand the inside. As long as you are not using chrome or silver paint it is well documented to sand the inside of a polycarbonate shell beforehand to make the paint adhere better.

On 4/9/2016 at 1:28 PM, NWarty said:

Mongoose,

Where did you get that Olympia Beer decal? I must know, I can hit the old brewery with a rock from my house ;) 

This is it. A 1986-88 MRP 80-2734 RC drink-decal sheet.

dsf0x7P.jpg

• Like 1

Whoa....I had that same decal sheet when I competitively raced MRP GP-10's in the late 80's. Wow...I completely forgot about that sheet until now.

My Dad and I were sponsored by MRP before we went to the Bolink Eliminator 10

3 hours ago, NWarty said:

Whoa....I had that same decal sheet when I competitively raced MRP GP-10's in the late 80's. Wow...I completely forgot about that sheet until now.

My Dad and I were sponsored by MRP before we went to the Bolink Eliminator 10

That's super cool. MRP decal sheets are the sweetest vintage sponsor decal sheets ever!! :D Too bad they're not that easy to come across :(

This may sound dumb, but bear with me...

Try putting that body in a bucket of water with a small amount of dish soap.

Leave It in a corner of your garage and forget about it for a few weeks or even months.

When you come back to it, you will probably find that you can remove those scraps of paint with your fingernail or a toothbrush.

It's amazing what an extended soak in water will do - I recently did this with some 30 year old duct tape residue on a chassis. It took two weeks, but the old hard adhesive just fell off with no damage to the plastic.

This is after a variety of solvents failed to touch it.

They don't call water the Universal Solvent for nothing...