Dangerseeker

1:18 and smaller

by chance the kids found the amewi conqueror that is offered for 34,99 as a full set with batteries and rc controller. i never heared of this brand or the car, is it of any use? I did not find any 1:18 or smaller car from tamiya, so this amewi might be an option for livingroom races.

Overwhelming replies. Anyway, surfing on the www waves revealed, that this car is sold by some chinese merchants via alibaba/aliexpressaliexpress. Its exactly the same car sold as 1:18 rock crawler for $34,96. ordered one, lets see...

is a video shows lack of speed control. Cheap enough though

I'd opt for something more like this for that price. Video looks much better.

Bought one of these for my son £20 off banggood only took 2 weeks to come :D

For the money its not bad he has fun with it,his mate has a slickrock there about £170

I might buy another and mod it ;)

the car should be for the kids and for the price (its a rtr set) its more than ok, i guess.

if it was for me alone, i would definitely go for something like lentner3 suggested, or like this:

https://www.lindinger.at/at/fahrzeugeschiffe/autos/ecx-temper-1-18-4wd-rock-crawler-rtr

well, i am awaiting the crawler and i will be back with some details on the car later.

• Like 1

I hate it when I accidently buy stuff

It's really annoying when it happens. You just look away, and then you've bought something you clearly didn't want, but needed. Worst. Feeling. Ever!.

I've just watched the video on that link and have noticed a couple of things....

1 - I need to go their shop one day!

2 - I need one of these!

Why does all the cool stuff come about when I have no money!

all right, the car arrived today. car looks good, quite stable; the radio, however, looks and feels cheap, but what can you exspect for that price.

i will charge the batteries and go for a testrun asap.

PHOTO_20160329_230528.jpg

It's actually a pretty nice looking rig. The radio does look naff though, but for the price who cares.

Anxiously awaiting some performance reviews.

i went for an extensive ride in the living room. the car has one fixed speed (full speed) forward and reverse and steering goes full left/right or forward with nothing in between. it is quite fast, too fast for smaller kids (manufacturer claims 20km/h). it climbs effortlessly over small boxes and lego bricks. handling is not bad but far from good - dont exspect anything special. the most basic tamiya grasshopper, however, has better handling.
battery run time (4.8v, 700mah) about 15 mins.

pros:
cheap rtr set of ok quality
car looks quite nice
quite fast
good climber

cons:
only full speed forward and reverse
only full left/right or forward
bad handling especially in narrow spaces

verdict:
quite nice toy for a cheap price, but too fast for smaller children, the lack of real speed control and steering angle control makes the car quite bad to handle, this is true for indoor use and narrow spaces. outdoors this limitations might not be that problematic.
anyway, i would spend a little bit more money on a more sophisticated 1/18 or 1/24 rock climber (see posts above for examples)

for info I used an HPI Mini Recon (1:18th scale) that costs around £90 ready-to-run for the chassis under my 'Nailer Scaler' Wild Willy build thread here.

P1020957_zps660a6c83.jpg

photo. HPI chassis on the right, fitted with Sand Scorch rear wheels all-round.

P1040314_zpscb995c19.jpg

I understand the Maverick Ion is another reasonably good 1:18th option too.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

• Like 1

second test run today, this time outdoors. here the car shows its potential. it is a mean little crawler that is able to climb even the steepest hills. sand is no problem, rocks do not bother the car, tree branches, water hoses an other natural and not so natural obstacles will be overcome quite easily, given the size is appropriate. the rock crawler can take quite a beating (rolling over, crashing into walks etc.) without any damage. the battery run time was much longer than before, seems that the battery is at full capacity now after some carge/discharge cycles. actually the car went about 30 minutes. the kids could handle the car quite well, and we had tons of fun with the rig.

the verdict (updated): the car unleashes its full power outoors. lots of fun to drive over all kinds of terrain and obstacles. handling in open spaces is much better than in narrow ones, thus the car does belong to nature rather than to the living room. in conclusion, and this corrects my aforementioned statment, i am glad that i bought the car, it is quite some crawler when let loose in the open air, that will bring hours abd hours of fun. for a price of aprox. $25 !! http://www.gearbest.com/rc-cars/pp_227935.html it is almost unbeatable.

the downside, now i want a 1/10 crawler/rock racer :-)

for info I used an HPI Mini Recon (1:18th scale) that costs around £90 ready-to-run for the chassis under my 'Nailer Scaler' Wild Willy build thread here.

I understand the Maverick Ion is another reasonably good 1:18th option too.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

thank you jenny, your post made me study your fantastic bulids one more time, that i very much enjoyed. the maveric ion looks great and is technically far more advanced than the 1/18 rock crawler, but the sale price is about 5 times that if the crawler.

one day i will get a reasonable 1/10 crawler/rock racer, and am an not sure if i will be faithful to tamiya. the axial yeti looks very tempting... except for the price ;-)

small update: a gear (rear gearbox) broke and the car is now useless, since no spare parts are available (at least i did not find any on the www) :(

that is a down side to many of the cars out there in that price range.

you do have another option for replacement, Hobby King has a small scale rock  crawler, was originally released as an RTR, and later was released as a kit with the radio being sold separately, to me the RTR version will happily fill the hole left by this one for you and the kids.

11 hours ago, Darat76 said:

that is a down side to many of the cars out there in that price range.

you do have another option for replacement, Hobby King has a small scale rock  crawler, was originally released as an RTR, and later was released as a kit with the radio being sold separately, to me the RTR version will happily fill the hole left by this one for you and the kids.

Yes, the Basher RockSta. Looks much better than our broken one, but it is currently not available for shipping to Europe :( (the homepage tells me so). But I will for sure get this one in the near future..

Thanks for the info!

If you can find it in the eu warehouse and it's out of stock, use the notify option in the page, you'll get an email when it arrives in stock there 

1 minute ago, Darat76 said:

If you can find it in the eu warehouse and it's out of stock, use the notify option in the page, you'll get an email when it arrives in stock there 

done