RcMadness74

Found an original Super Champ

I really didn't know what I had bid on until I received it. There seems to be a ton of parts missing, they body is in great shape except for a crack that gives it a little character. Let me know what you think. I really know nothing about these cars, maybe this one will be better for parts?

c93dd963-8a34-488a-b4cf-edac86606c6a_zps

20160229_195403_zps9lfkatms.jpg

20160229_195444_zpsjn4ufktm.jpg

20160229_195454_zpsvxlohkcf.jpg

20160229_195509_zpsk3jnq4yf.jpg

20160229_195602_zpsni26y3ry.jpg

It looks to be in quite reasonable condition with the exception of the incorrect rear tyres, missing shock arm/lever at the rear, and the missing stock rear bumper.. If your not too worried about keeping it 100% period correct, parts from the Fighting Buggy (aka re-re Super Champ..) will help you get it running again..

The rear suspension mods have me somewhat intrigued.. It looks as though it had been modified to run twin Kyosho 1/8 shocks in an X configuration..

Just for parts, that is BLASPHEMY, you can rebuild it and that modded rear bumper is the bomb, never seen one quite like that. I am certain after you take it down and clean it all up, it will go back together simply and somewhat easily, it will be sorting out what you want to do in way of original or hopped up that will decide. I am still scratching my head on the front bumper, did they glue the beige outriggers into a black bumper or what??

• Like 1

It needs a handful of parts to sort the rear end out, which with the release of the Fighting Buggy means you won't have to pay an arm and a leg for Super Champ parts.

Shell is an easy repair a styrene/plasticard strip on the inside - use solvent styrene 'glue' which will weld the sections together and with a little luck fill the crack nicely without damaging the paint. If you've not got those materials to hand its probably cheaper to buy a new fighting buggy body and transfer the lights and metal roof across, they are surprisingly cheap bodies given the premium price original SC items were fetching 2 years ago !

doesn't look to have much use. The gear case looks good and the oil preserved the front suspension

Not sure if I want to run this one or just restore for shelf duty. The bumper is strange, I didn't think of the tan nubs but they do pull off. The back is a nightmare. Looks like it took a few hits and then he added the shock tower. The hardware used looks like it came from grandpas parts jar in the barn. The guy did do some nice work, that rear bumper lines up with the rear shock rod and the tapped the holes for the shock bolts.

The yellow plate comes off with one clip, not bad for being Bubbarized.

I downloaded the manual, now I have to make a list of parts I'm missing. Do they make all the parts I'm missing the same as the originals or did they update some things?

• Like 1

Well, with words like "hardware from grandpa's parts jar" and Bubbarized, I would suspect you might be in the USA, if you send me your list of bits, I can see if any of them are laying around here in my spares. I went through my SC a while ago and tried to help other folks out on parts when they asked, but I still have a few here. I seem to see one only on the rear suspension rod thing that connects to the shock, so that is something to watch out for on eBay with the re re as they were sold individually as spare parts BITD as I recall. It won't cost you too much, plus you said it was badly listed, so it sounds like you are into this car for maybe $50 so far??

Thanks Chris and yes I'm from the states, NY. It looks like I need the following parts, please let me know if you find any.

- Rear shock set, bottle, mounting plate etc.

- (1) Rear spring arm and rod

- Tabs that attach to the rear spring arms that the zip ties attach to.

- Rear bumper

- Upper receiver deck

Looking at the manual, there sure was a bunch of zip ties attached to parts, lol.

Tracked down that FRP upper deck I mentioned in the PM I sent you along with the list of bits I have found. Drop me a line and we can help sort this out.

I am still scratching my head on the front bumper, did they glue the beige outriggers into a black bumper or what??

The bumper is strange, I didn't think of the tan nubs but they do pull off.

I was confused looking at the bumper too - original on the Super Champ is grey/beige of course - but it's clearly an original bumper that's been painted black in the middle part. You can tell by looking at the insides of the screw holes, which show the original color and some sloppy painting. See pic below. You may want to pull it off and give it a DOT3 brake fluid bath overnight and see if you can remove the paint without scratching it up.

20160229_195602_zpsni26y3ry.jpg