Sign in to follow this  
taliesin

Vintage Brat - 380 motor installation help

Can someone please help with some know how, a picture or scan, other tips for the original motor installation for the stock 380 motor on a # 58038 Brat from 1983? I would like to put a 380 back in.

I have a 380 motor with the pressed on brass 10t pinion that I believe is period correct but of course the mounting holes are narrower than a 540. In viewing period photos I can't see any plastic or metal adaptor plate on the vintage Brat, but there has to be one (doesn't there?), or else the 380 motors back then had a wider mounting bolt pattern?

Anyone have a picture and/or part number to help me see how this was done? I only have a re-re manual and the small previews on the Home Page are too small for my old eyes to read.

Also - seems like everyone ditched the 380 and installed a 540 back in the day, but the 540 silver can motor causes the passenger side of the hard body to ride noticeably higher. Was there a fix for this or did folks just live with it?

I just found this, and although I don't read Polish (or Czech?) I think the auction is over, so I'll post the link. At any rate, I've bought from this US seller and just checked his current supply and it isn't listed.

This is apparently what I'm looking for, and it explains why I couldn't see a black plastic adaptor plate.

http://www.ebay.pl/itm/361435225198

Would still like to see a picture from the manual with the correct hardware, mounting instructions and such - if anyone has a scan or such it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Mark. That will make it easier to source one now that I can put a name/number to it!

There is a 380 adapter for the grasshopper and RM01. Both of these would be easier to find than the normal brat part. You could also level out the body by using some foam under the truck bed on the left side. Just a little will level out the bed pretty good.

Good luck with your brat. Great truck

Yeah, I'm not going to lose my sanity over it (i.e. spending a $100 for a fender washer, LOL) and I've considered just banging a lathe motor in it and calling it a day.

Not sure why the idea of making it period correct is so compulsive at the moment, maybe it is something in the water - wait, that's Flint Michigan.

Foam washers to level out the body seems like the simple approach. Plus it will help silence the clattering of the hard body against the body post.

Bakaguyjean,

I have a couple of those black plastic pieces for the Grasshopper but they won't work. The don't sit quite right and once snugged down put a slight bind on the motor that will affect the gear mess, plus they are a bit too thick also. If you shim one side with a thin washer to even out the fit, then the pinion makes even less contact with the spur. I messed around with it for a fair while before concluding it was just a bad fitment and gave up.

Plan B was a 540 lathe or crawler motor, but it looks like I've sourced an original plate. Thanks to Chevelle!