Sayer

(now) "Mega 4WD Blackfoot"

I've been delaying posting this until I was sure I had everything figured out and wasn't going to be halted due to cost or loss of interest.

So, after my Bad Influence (Stag) Jugg/TXT build, I had a bunch of reasonably viable parts left over:

leftovers[1].png

Then another thread reminded me of a project I'd wanted to do before, but had abandoned due to lack of skill, so off it was to eBay - and with the help of waterbok nabbing some parts from Germany when my address was deemed invalid I ended up with this haul:

haul[1].png

I decided to go with Jugg2 axles instead of RC4WD Blackwells because they had the input offset I'd need to reduce driveshaft angle, it was cheaper for a matching pair, and I wouldn't have to purchase adapters to fit the Clod wheels. Also, I'm going to use the stock Jugg servo saver setup with a single servo for 4wheel steer (which may be changed depending on how many times I roll the truck).

Yes, those are alloy Jugg E parts and a leaf spring bag. We're going old school.

Then, it was off to Rhino - quite a bit of steam coming out my ears getting all the measurements right and double checking positioning but then I got this:

chassis[1].png

Currently, according to Shapeways it'll be shipped on Mar 8, and then I'll be able to test fit things and see how wrong I got everything. ;)

Can anyone guess what the final product is supposed to look like? (there's a hint in the title of the thread)

• Like 2

Ding! Ding! Ding! You are the winner! Parts are still stuck in customs though.

Oh, and by the way, once done you can also let Jeff Dane see the truck. I know the man has a FB page and I'm sure they'll be happy to showcase your creation there.

Here's a couple of pictures for you:

12804782_1013419872065756_89107910117656

11269795_854690361272042_768403777322439

• Like 1

If you need any parts donations, let me know. I have all kinds of CR01 parts (stock) that I no longer need. Things like servo trays, chassis, 4 link, plastic driveshafts, etc.

Brilliant!

Love the 80's (real??) monster trucks,not so looking at the cars that got crushed.

Is that a 60's firebird?!? :(

Thoroughly irritated. Parts came in and one of the chassis rails was warped (and the finish was uneven); shrugged since I figured I'd just paint it, and the crossmembers would pull it straight - except the rear battery holder wouldn't fit without some craft-knifery despite the fact that it was modeled with a boolean subtraction (which means the dimensions should be mathematically exact) then I broke off a screw in one of the rails because only some of the 3mm holes are actually 3mm.

Called it a night. May have better luck tomorrow.

failrails[1].jpg

Better luck today. Drilled out all the holes in the rails to make sure (drill press earned its keep again) and got the main chassis together. The transmission mount is still wrong, but that's the bit I expected to be wrong since so much of it was guesswork.

stage1[1].jpg

• Like 3

Sorry, for the delay, just waiting for some bearings for the axles before I attach them, and figure out the transmission mount

Got the axles ballraced and mounted. still need to make the swing arms and work out the transmission mount

Stage2[1].jpg

• Like 2

Arise from your grave!

So I took so long with this that someone beat me to the Awesome Kong replica and did it better than I would have been able to. But In the interest of stubbornness, I got to work over the Christmas holidays and parts are once again on their way. I think I've worked out how to mount the Jugg2 transmission the way I want with all clearances, but we'll see when they get here. If it doesn't work, then I'll just revise again.

newrails[1].png

51 minutes ago, Grastens said:

HE'S BACK

At least you have a benchmark for your project now ;)

Might not be Awesome Kong, but that just opens up the possibilities for original ideas.

Cool project!!

What material did you print the original chassis rails in, stainless steel?

16 hours ago, Tizer said:

Cool project!!

What material did you print the original chassis rails in, stainless steel?

Thanks!

Matte black steel. Had no real idea what it would look like when I clicked "order" the first time, but these projects are kind of all about risks.

I am sure there were other monster truck stepside Broncos in the 80's if you don't want to go the awesome kong route anymore (waits for Erichs input). Still keen to see your build nonetheless! :D

So the Shapeways stuff came in (finally!) already a much better product than the original print.

chassisparts[1].png

Still have to drill the holes out though. Went much faster this time.

drillingchassis[1].png

You got a look at it in the first pic, but here's the test fit of my transmission mount. I'm taking advantage of the fact that the screw holding that heat sink on, screws into an aluminum shaft that runs from one end of the transmission to the other and screws into the motor mounting plate.

testmotormount[1].png

Got it together with the transmission mount. Quite thrilled to finally have gotten that obstacle out of the way. It seems painfully easy in retrospect, but boy did it take a long time to figure out that I just needed a small piece of aluminum,

chassistogether[1].png

Decided to go with some RC4WD numbers for a more scale look. Kinda wished I'd spaced out the mounts at the top a bit more in retrospect, but not enough for modification or reprints.

alleon[1].png

Here it is with the planned body. I've ordered some new replica decals because these aren't particularly good, not to mention, the one on the hood has holes in it from mounting the body on the shortlived RC4WD Trailfinder SWB chassis. Still have to cut the original mounting points off the bottom of the transmission and fab up some swing arms out of threaded rod and aluminum tubing, but thought this was a good place to stop for today. 

shellon[1].png

• Like 9

It looks fantastic! Right now, like how one would imagine a Blackfoot would look :)

• Like 1

Thanks. I actually test fitted the wheels (still no swing arms) and rather like the low slung stance. Body placement makes my teeth itch a bit, but it can't be helped without a reprint or heavy modification to the chassis length. The dog is very interested.

truckanddog[1].png

• Like 5