Sign in to follow this  
Mad Ax

LiPo for M03 - bullet connectors in top?

Can anyone recomment a 2s Lipo for an M03 with bullet connectors that fit into the top of the back? I've been using my hardcase stick packs in racing but recently two packs have been damaged and will no longer charge.

Because the wires come out the end of the battery, they're liable to get bashed when racing. The main power wires have lost their protective sheath so I'll need to repair them properly before they can be run again, but worse, the balance wires have broken away from the electrodes inside so the packs won't balance. I'll have to try to resolder them without damaging the cells.

Years ago, most M03 racers used to use a rounded stick pack with bullet connectors that fitted from the top, keeping them out of harms way. This would be perfect, not only for M03s but also many other vintage Tamiyas where a LiPo stick pack doesn't quite want to fit properly, or where the wires have to be badly kinked to squeeze them in. But in all my searching, I can't find any like that any more.

Are they still available?

Any other advice for racing an M03 with LiPos? We're not allowed to modify the chassis to fit square packs and we're not allowed to use soft-case LiPos.

the guys at my local club (off road 1/8 and 1/10) either zip tie the balance leads to the battery for racing, some use rubber bands to do that, or they use the velcro belts that hold the batteries in place to stop the wires from escaping.

• Like 1

not got a built m chassis around me currently, so apologies if these aren't suitable; but these are decent hard case packs that are roar approved..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=37489

if you need a rounded edge pack these won't work, they are pretty square even with the appearance of curves.

Can you get hard case Lipo to fit an M03?

I was thinking about changing my M03 to brushless but can't see how the soft case Lipo packs can be kept safe?

I have tried a mates hard case Lipo but it will not fit :(

The Core RC 4000 packs will fit. If it is just brushless you want to run, you don't need to run LiPo to do so though.

I know gens ace do a couple of hard case lipo's that i've been told will fit in an M03, or any other car with battery compartment shaped for the old nicad/nimh stick packs.

also did a couple of quick google searches, one "classic style lipo hardcase" brought up a list at hobby king, quick browse showed a nano tech one there, a second search of "lipo stick pack" garnered more results, pics, and also this link to a thread here:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52840

going by what I read in the first post of that thread, not all that claim to fit will fit, this could be the manufacturer taking a measurement of the full length of the battery tray and making the battery full length and not allowing space for the leads.

Thanks for the help guys - especially the info on taping the balance leads out of the way. I try to tuck my leads in under the battery bracket but it doesn't always work.

I think the issue with most "stick pack" LiPos is that they're slightly bigger than conventional NiCd / NiMH stick packs so they don't always fit. I have two Intellect packs that I've had for years, which fit almost everything I own, but are a squeeze. These are the ones that are now broken, so I have to desolder and resolder them. I'll try to fit longer balance leads so they're easier to tie out of the way, and reinforce the protective sheath around the exit from the stick case.

I also have two Overlander packs that have ribbed undersides, possibly so they'll fit either in conventional stick pack chassis or chassis designed for side-by-side packs. These are a much tighter fit in almost everything. I can get them in the M03 but they're a challenge to get out again. I'll have to use these tonight as both my IPs are on the workbench waiting for me to fix them.

I ordered some new Core RC stick packs yesterday - hopefully these will fit :)