Sign in to follow this  
80sBasher

Re-re Super Hotshot underguard and bumper

Having a problem with my underguard and bumper on my re-release super hotshot coming loose from the chassis where the screws join both pieces together. Anyone have any suggestions on how to put a more permanent fix in there - longer screws, decent hop up parts to replace these ? Open to ideas. Thinking I may need to drop some glue into the screw holes as they could be stripped from the screws being re-applied too many times.

I'd tap the holes with an M3 tap and put some longer machine screws in there.

• Like 1

Nothing will hold, its a poor design. There is only 1 bolt holding a long, flexible plastic section of the underguard in place. It breaks at the 1st impact as the plastic flexes. Its good that the plastic flexes, as the underguard absorbs the energy and protects the chassis.

I just wrapped a zip tie around it and snaked around the front a arms in such a way it does not impede the front suspension travel. This kinda sucks, because you now have a zip tie under the car which will break on the street if it scrapes too hard. So then I used a bit of heavy duct tape on the bottom to protect the zip tie. Have to reapply after every street run.

If you come up with better idea, Im all ears ...

As suggested above I drilled the holes deeper with a narrow drill bit and then replaced the kit tapping screws with longer titanium ones. Haven't had a problem with it through several 20-30 min bashing sessions since, including bottoming out the suspension on a wheelchair access sidewalk ramp numerous times while getting air.