Ian_Gsi16V

Blitzer Beetle - Motor getting very hot

Hi,

Noticed this weekend that my Blitzer is running very hot :(

Spec is:

Fully Ballraced

2S LiPo

M-Troniks Storm No Limit ESC

Yokomo Pro Stock 14 Turn (about 20 years old)

13T steel pinion

Proline Dirt Hawgs

Running on a mixture of tarmac / gravel / sand.

Have ran the Blitzer a few times this weekend and the motor is getting very hot, burnt myself twice on it and yesterday one of the motor wires de soldered itself it got so hot :unsure:

Any idea what this could be? Was under the impression that the blitzer is pretty good at hot motors, the super stock BZ I had in it barely broke a sweat but that was only 23T.

Could it be a faulty motor? As mentioned above it is very old, be a shame to remove it as it is very quick with it and I don't want to go brushless just yet :lol:

check to see if the motor spins fairly easy, or if it takes some effort, otherwise your gearing is to tall for that motor

• Like 1

what sort of condition is the motor in, I too run a bz in my bearhawk and its a great motor , I do have a 14t double sitting on a shelf ready to but the bz is more than quick enough.

I'd pull the motor down and check the brushed and comms for sure , maybe true it up and a new set of brushes may help and also check the timing on the motor , it may have advanced itself or something.

The motor has never had any maintenance, I got it as a 13 year old in around 1995/6 and have pretty much just used it and abused it since :lol: (it did spend at least 10 years sat in the loft though).

I'll have a look at it this week, I can put the BZ back in as it was good enough with that in but I am one of them guys that if I see a way to go quicker I am taking it B)

It seems your Blitzer Beetle is cursed and will never run well again :o You should box it up and ship it to me :D Or you could put a larger turn motor on the poor thing, I doubt your trying to do much more than have some fun :)

Remember: less turns = higher rpm but less torque, stop start stop start stop start = high load = Heat

Ooh & if you really want it to go faster and run cooler :blink: go brushless :D

I'd be surprised if increasing the pinion tooth count would help, as that will increase your final gear ratio, which increases the resistance being loaded back from the wheels to the motor, if anything, I'd decrease the pinion with the hot motor, or install the bz and increase the pinion.

first thing tho, clean out the hot motor, then try again, if solder is melting the whole motor is getting to internal damage causing temps

a 13t pinion is the smallest you can go but I doubt that would be the issue , is suspect a dirty motor or badly worn brushes.

can you post some pics of the motor internals?

I'd be surprised if increasing the pinion tooth count would help, as that will increase your final gear ratio, which increases the resistance being loaded back from the wheels to the motor, if anything, I'd decrease the pinion with the hot motor, or install the bz and increase the pinion.

first thing tho, clean out the hot motor, then try again, if solder is melting the whole motor is getting to internal damage causing temps

Your right, I rushed through that :wacko: I edited my post to be about turns not pinions :)

I'd say 14t motor is pushing a bit especially if it is in poor condition. get the smallest pinion that it accommodates, maybe get a heat sink and make sure there is plenty of air flow around the motor. and clean up the motor :), 23 down to a 14 turn motor is a big increase.

I'll get the motor stripped down the check it out. Brushless is undoubtably the key especially as most of my running is done on the beach so a motor that doesn't have brushes etc to trap sand would be much less maintenance.

It does end up looking like this after most runs...

IMG_20160313_163427_zpsxitmolr9.jpg

:o:P

• Like 2

I think that blitzer needs a new name...

something like...

sand blasted beetle....

• Like 1

It is so good on the sand, I was doing power runs into big long 10 ft drifts, just need the sand to be a little less wet.

Hands down one of the most fun cars I have driven.

Over geared, it may have been okay with the stock tyres but Dirt Hawgs are bigger still. Your motor is really struggling.

Try an EZRun Brushless. I ran a 10t set up in mine and it was stupidly fast.