werewolf

Nordic Vintage Challenge

Last weekend the fifth edition of the Nordic Vintage Challenge was held in Eskilstuna, Sweden. With 57 entries it was the biggest so far and we're hoping to attract even more enthusiasts next time!

A bit of history: late 2013 a Swede by the name of Tomas Karlsson (TamiyaTomas on this forum) thought it would be fun to organise a competition for vintage rc cars. Because there seemed to be enough interest for such an event, the first Nordic Vintage Challenge was held in February 2014 at Ekilstuna Modellbilklubb (about 70 miles west of Stockholm). Back then 3 off-road classes were organised: Classic, 2WD and 4WD (classic allowed both 2WD and 4WD cars).

The second NVC was held a couple of months later in the summer of 2014 at the Oslo Modellbilklubb in Norway, courtesy of Svein Harald Ytternes (SHY69 on this forum). This time drivers were competing in 5 different classes: 2WD, 2WD Classic, 4WD, 4WD Classic and Big Wheeler.

2015 also saw two NVC's being held: one in spring and one in autumn. By now the tandem of Tomas and Svein Harald worked as a well-oiled machine, with input from other enthusiast through the swedish rc-forum. After NVC #4 it was decided to scrap the Big Wheeler class (at least for now) and try something new. The new class had to be very accessible and cheap, as to attract people from all ages and with all kinds of budgets. And so the idea for a DT-02 class was born (well, let's not try to pretend we invented the wheel here :P ) under the name of Plastic Fantastic.

The rules for PF:

- Only 2010 Holiday Buggy (red and blue) and 2011 Sand Rover/Street Rover/Kumamon Buggy allowed

- Hop-ups limited to ball bearings, 540 Jonson silvercan motor, shock mount brace, hinge pins for A-arms, Tamiya oil shocks (C.V.A. short set II and C.V.A. mini set II)

- Go wild on the body (but keep it recognizable as a HB or SR as no alternative bodies are allowed)

This class was a succes with 10 contestants. Training and qualifier heats were held in two groups and the 3 finals were held in one big group. Racing was intense and heaps of fun. With all cars having more or less the same qualities, it was really up to the drivers. Never knew you could have such fearsome racing at such low speeds :D At the next NVC the Plastic Fantastic class will be organised again, this time probably on both days of the race.

While the other classes are not Tamiya-specific, there are quite some people competing with Tamiya cars there too. This year we had two Hot-Trick Hotshots, two Egresses, a 'regular' HotShot and a Super Hotshot in 4WD Classic and a modified NovaFox (raced by yours truly) and FAV in the 2WD Classic, while 2 Top Force Evos were raced in the 'regular' 4WD class.

So far we've had drivers from Sweden, Norway and Belgium but we're looking to expand ;) So if you want to know more about this event or are interested in participating, don't hesitate to ask questions!

Here are some clips of the Plastic Fantastic finals (extracts) as well as links to footage of the entire two days of racing (you'll have to search and skip if you only want to see the PF footage).

- PF Final #1:

- PF Final #2:

• Like 2

Incidentally, when and where is the next NVC? And is it open to people who's driving skills equal that of a spastic toddler on a sugar high? If so I'm tempted to join.

If I'll be able to improve my driving skills from abysmal til horrendous, that is.

• Like 2

Great write up Hans! :D

Everybody is more than welcome! See more info in english here: www.ymr.no/nvc.htm

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, SHY! Eskilstuna is probably about a million miles away from Oslo, but I'm sorely tempted to give it a go.

If for nothing else it'll give me a chance to answer yes when people wonder if I drive my cars, instead of yelling shut up stinky pants.

• Like 1

Oslo to Eskilstuna is 415 km or a 5 hour drive (according to my internet route planner :P ). Which is just a little more than the distance I have to cover to get there (375 km), so that's no excuse Robert ;) .

Seriously though: no prior racing experience or talent is required to participate. I would guess that at least 1/3 of the participants at the last NVC don't do any racing at all apart from NVC-races. Many of us will even choose to race an original or more rare car over a more competitive one. And in my experience everyone is willing to help each other out should you run into problems with your car. It is all about having fun and sharing the love for vintage rc cars.

There is no date set for the next race yet, but it will probably be held in Eskilstuna again and probably sometime in October or November (mind the 'probably's !!!).

Spread the word!

• Like 1

Just fly to Stockholm guys and rent a car, it's only 1 hour drive then :D

Here's my video compilation from the last race:

• Like 3

Oslo to Eskilstuna is 415 km or a 5 hour drive (according to my internet route planner :P ). Which is just a little more than the distance I have to cover to get there (375 km), so that's no excuse Robert ;) .

I can't fault that logic. So yeah, I should probably give this serious consideration as it seems like tons of fun. And I really like that it sounds like the enjoyment factor comes largely into play.

• Like 1

We use 4 1/2 hours to Eskilstuna from Oslo. Good roads and not that much traffic. No problem at all! :)

That's absolutely doable. Whatching your video of you guys driving like the clappers sort of negates the whole "no talent or experience required," though :)

Some properly cool cars at the end, nice inclusion in the film!

• Like 1

Haha, fair enough! :D My personal goal will be to try not to get in the way of everyone else as they're lapping me. If I manage that I'm sure I'll have a blast just going around the track.

• Like 1

Time for a little update!

The next NVC will be held in Eskilstuna on 15-16 October (with possibility of training on 14 October). Come and join the fun!

The usual classes will be run: 2WD Classic, 4WD Classic, 2WD and 4WD plus our Plastic Fantastic. Difference is there will be 2 DT-02 events this time: on Saturday we will have the 'normal' Plastic Fantastic (training, qualifiers, finals) and on Sunday we will have a Plastic Fantastic Endurance race. The Endurance will be just 1 race where three drivers team up behind one car and drive it for a 1 hour long heat. No qualifiers, just one big hour-long final!

If you're interested in participating, have a look at the rules here (in English): http://www.ymr.no/nvc.htm

More questions? Things not entirely clear? Want to participate but afraid of all those nasty Swedes (I know I am :D)? Feel free to ask questions here or contact me in a PM.

Hope to see you there!

• Like 1

NVC#6 has come and gone. Attendance was a little lower than last time, but we had fun nonetheless!

Apart from all the classes we held previously (2WD, 4WD, 2WD Classic, 4WD Classic and Plastic Fantastic [DT-02]), we also had a 1-hour Plastic Fantastic Endurance race on Sunday. Here are some highlights from the weekend, professionally edited by SHY69:

Nordic Vintage Challenge #6 (Fall 2016) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert5000 said:

Oh, come on -give us a write up as well! 

I'm working on a write-up as we speak.

It'll be in Swedish though ^_^

• Like 1

Excellent! If by any chance there's someone on here who isn't well versed in the noble language of Wassberg, Stenmark and Lyxzén there's always google translate, so I say go for it. 

Thanks! I should definitely try to attend the next NVC as it looks like tons of fun (and maybe just a tad too serious for my level.)

The score board makes me think your Zerda imploded in a spectacular way or at least had a malfunction of sorts? 

• Like 1

Sorry Robert, I didn't see your reply until just now. Yeah, my Zerda wasn't all that reliable. During every heat, something small went wrong (screws backing out and such). And just when I had everything sorted out, the main drive belt got stripped and that was game over since I didn't have the time to replace it. Also, for the first time, my Fox started acting up resulting in a forfeit in that class too. Not my most successful NVC, that's for sure :o

• Like 1

The game is afoot again!

The next NVC will be held in Eskilstuna on 1-2 April (with possibility of training on 31 March). Come and join the fun!

The same classes will be run as last time: 2WD Classic, 4WD Classic, 2WD, 4WD plus our 2 Plastic Fantastic events (the regular race and the 1 hour endurance race). 

If you're interested in participating, have a look at the rules here (in English): http://www.ymr.no/nvc.htm

More questions? Things not entirely clear? Want to participate but afraid not sure you're up to it? Feel free to ask questions here or contact me in a PM.

Hope to see you there!

• Like 1