Sign in to follow this  
thebigwig

Tamiya Durga - Upgrade

Hi,

Looking forward to upgrade my Durga with brushless motor, ESC and Lipo battery.

I am looking for speed but not to run the motor too hot either. But fast.

I don't know where to start.

If anyone can please recommend what brushless motor, ESC and Lipo battery kit that I can just purchase and upgrade.

What else do I need to do besides upgrading those 3 components?

Again thanks!

• Like 1

Hi

I am also interested in the same upgrade. From a bit of Googling I think you have to decided if you want to use it off or on road and set a budget as this will determine how many turns motor you will need.

Interesting video of a few motors tested in a similar buggy.

First upgrade before adding any hot motor to the DB01 is get the slipper clutch kit and set it up properly. Otherwise you will just tear the ball diffs to pieces and end up costing a fortune. Or replace the 2 ball diffs with 2 geared diff units. But a stock DB01 I wouldn't put anything hotter than a 13.5T motor in there TBH and even that over time will eventually lead to you needing to rebuild the diffs alot.

I usually race my DB01R with a 5.5T brushless motor and high gearing (i.e. less top speed more acceleration) but usually a 6.5T or 7.5T motor is plenty fast enough for off road racing. Not sure why anyone would run a db01 onroad as its an offroad buggy. Isn't that what touring cars and rally car chassis are for?

James

:)