Stickman

TNX 3.0 Nitro pull start conversion

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has done a pull start conversion on a TNX truck before? And if so what parts were used.

Or if anyone has a set of gears for the electric start that they are willing to sell so I can repair my starter.

Thanks in advance for help and advice.

Cheers

Dave

post-1593-0-28116300-1459129177_thumb.jp

post-1593-0-63756700-1459129317_thumb.jp

Hey Stickman, nice to see you back !

Would you be interested in buying a another TNX and electric start ?

I have ordered up a gear set, hopefully will be up and running soon, thanks acprc for the advice!

Welcome, look forward to seeing it finished. Did you order the rubber dampers?

When I pulled it apart I noticed there were copper tubes in place of the rubber dampers, so the previous owner must have done that as a quick fix when the original rubber fell apart. The hobby shop that I got the spare gears from didn't have the rubber dampers but suggested using an o ring with the same cross section diameter and cutting my own (the shop owner himself is a big fan of the TNX and said he had used copper tubes and the o ring fix on TNX's in the past).

I have the copper tube in there currently, but have bought the o rings to replace them next time I pull it apart.

So at the moment the starter system works fine, the truck is fully operational I just need to tune the carb, its running a bit rich and the tick over is a bit low, so will try to make time at the weekend to sort that out.

Thanks again for the advice and help, I wouldn't have even realised the copper pipe wasn't the right part without you suggesting I replaced the rubber dampers!

Good to hear its running. The copper pipe does work but the rubber dampers take the shock loading out of the starting system. By putting copper tube in it will just transfer the shock load to something else, probably the gears or worse the one way bearing. My advice would be to replace with the rubber dampers when you get the chance.

...was running...

went to tune the carb at a disused carpark, transmitter battery failed as did the fail safe the car ended up running into a limestone wall at nearly full throttle...stripped the spur gear and bent some cooling fins but remarkably little damage considering the speed of impact, these are built tough!

Ironically the engine ran really nicely after the crash but due to the stripped gear was undriveable.

So, spur gear ordered, a new fail safe is on my shopping list for today,

I can see how these nitro trucks get left in sheds and garages, they are kind of frustrating, but when it goes it really goes, so I will persevere.

When I change the spur gear I'll add the rubber dampers in the starter gear.

Welcome to the world of nitro! If you can find the orange GWS failsafe its exactly the same as the Tamiya branded one. GWS made them in black plastic and labelled them for Tamiya.

Thanks for the failsafe info, I will get one fitted before the next outing :)

• Like 1