Sign in to follow this  
cjm_wales

3d printing - isn't it great?

Hi, second post :)

My name is Craig and I've been a tamiya nut since getting my first proper RC car aged 12 (a midnight pumpkin). I'm now 38, and with the disposable income I could only dream about as a kid, I'm reclaiming old racing memories :)

I decided I fancied getting another TA04 & put a wanted ad up on Oople a few months back. A friendly ex eurocup racer got in touch to tell me about the Iconic Cup - a two round summer championship for eurocup refugees. So I went and bought two TA04 chassis - one for stock, and the other for full-blown 13.5 blinky.

I then went on to spend an absolute fortune on hop-ups! One of the major problems with these older chassis is that they were designed for 7.2v 6-cell Nimh packs. None of my top spec lipo sticks would fit, so I went and bought a couple of the core rc lipo stick packs, which fit perfectly. But I also wanted to race in 17.5 blinky at the cotswolds club, and the C rating on the core lipos didn't give the neccesary top end. I have 4 turnigy 90c shorty packs that physically fitted into the battery slot (I'm running the carbon re-enforced tub) but I had no way of keeping it from moving about.

So I decided I'd download and install google sketchup, take a few measurements of the pack & slot size, and have a go at designing something to keep the pack secure in the chassis.

It went rather well at the first attempt!

20160328_161849_zpsgpte9exx.jpg

20160328_161908_zpsvhnrxssp.jpg

20160328_161835_zps0afqujbx.jpg

20160328_161827_zpscw5tkcpa.jpg

Very satisfying!

I'm planning on seeing if I can get a 16 year old car to compete with the modern machinery :)

I'm also planning on restoring my super astute shortly.

• Like 3

Welcome to the mad house Craig - sounds like you've emptied your wallet before joining here, which is a change ;)

My first experience of 3d printed parts are due to arrive today and tomorrow, so I'm very interested to see the quality of the modelling (not my work, but another TC members) and the accuracy and robustness of the printing itself.

• Like 1

Welcome to the mad house Craig - sounds like you've emptied your wallet before joining here, which is a change ;)

My first experience of 3d printed parts are due to arrive today and tomorrow, so I'm very interested to see the quality of the modelling (not my work, but another TC members) and the accuracy and robustness of the printing itself.

haha, yes. Wallet emptied - and on quite a few parts which I could have sourced for a fraction of the price from Japan! You live and learn I suppose :)

I got lucky on the 3d print hub & found a print guy who knew what he was doing & took a keen interest in what I'd designed, meaning he could spot weaknesses in how I'd oriented the part (layer direction) & rotated it to maximize strength. If done right, these parts are very robust. Probably more robust than the original parts!

Great cars !!!

I m a massive ta04 fan, I ve got 3 to date, an Ss, a ta04r and a ta04 pro (virtually a trf with the ssg carbon parts) and yes they can keep up with modern cars !

Have fun !

• Like 1

Saw this on the Iconic Facebook page, looks very neat (although would be neater printed in black :P)

Best of luck with the racing, hope it performs as well as it looks!

• Like 1

First impressions, very pleased

34E5A609-2652-469E-AFC3-BB04954451C4_zps

• Like 1

No they will be painted body colour - missing parts from my vintage Hilux project (plus the bed side rails that arrive today).

I was worried I'd have a lot of filling and sanding smooth to do, but they look pretty spot on through the cellophane bag to me :D

My personal advice is save the printer investment and use a third party company. Much better printing results and more options for material. The hard part as always with 3D printing is drawing the part. I had the gearbox casing on this copied and then 3D printed, came out lovely and I now sell them on shapeways.

625x465_1616042_10378205_1431704567.jpg

• Like 2

If designed correctly i see no reason why not. Plenty of people 3D printing whole cars. I would be wary of spur gears though but you can 3d print in lots of materials now so you might find something more robust.

No they will be painted body colour - missing parts from my vintage Hilux project (plus the bed side rails that arrive today).

I was worried I'd have a lot of filling and sanding smooth to do, but they look pretty spot on through the cellophane bag to me :D

Good to see the parts arrived from Shapeways.

You need to expect some sanding, and maybe filling, to get a perfect smooth surface.

Depending on the results you get, especially with the TOYOTA badge, I might make this part available in a material which is more detailed, and has a smoother surface. The more detailed material is about twice the price, and much weaker, but that is perhaps not an issue because of the way this part is mounted, as compared to the tail light/bumper part which needs to be strong.

Thanks Simen - I have to admit I've not taken the parts out of the packet yet (side rails arrived today in a separate order), but will do so over the next few days - aim to have the body in grey primer after the weekend. (with luck and a following wind !)

Do you need to provide the details or can you send them something and they scan it then create the new bits?

Looks good.

Apart from being printed 'mirrored' ;)

• Like 1

I think it's the whole image in reverse judging by the sticker, I was thinking the same thing. 😳

Apart from being printed 'mirrored' ;)

Indeed - iphone was upside down when i snapped th photo; when it uploaded to photobucket i flipped horizontally but forgot to flip vertically too :rolleyes:

I'm kind of liking it though ;)

780E1301-B6BC-4B72-8452-55A7797DB8CC_zps

From my experience the white strong and flexible is very robust and even good for axles, but for bevel gears I had to go for steel printing as you can see it the picture.

I'm using That axle for the past 3 years with no problem.

20130224_133536_zpsf196a8b2.jpg

I thought as much Twinset 😱 thats what the [😳] was for 😂😂😂

From my experience the white strong and flexible is very robust and even good for axles, but for bevel gears I had to go for steel printing as you can see it the picture.

I'm using That axle for the past 3 years with no problem.

20130224_133536_zpsf196a8b2.jpg

Can you provide a link for the company that did this? That's incredible. I'm thinking of asking for a quote to print my Super Astute gears in metal! Imagine that.

Shapeways.com You'll have to provide the CAD files though.

I've printed various parts in various types of metal on shapeways, and have to say I'm pretty impressed by the strength & quality.

Nickel plated steel Bumper for my Big Oly Blazer

bb_bumper_1.jpg

simensays_big_oly_21.jpg

Stainless steel rear bumper mounts

bb_bmounts_2.jpg

bb_bmounts_7.jpg

Stainless Steel Wild Willy SWB Arm Stays

simensays_wild_willy_armstays_1.jpg

simensays_wild_willy_custom_002b.jpg

• Like 3