I occasionally hear rumblings about increased customs tariffs/duties/fees for those in the UK, but wasn't aware of "Brexit":

https://www.journalism.co.uk/press-releases/brexit-will-hit-british-international-shoppers-hard-with-devalued-pound-and-increased-import-taxes/s66/a620596

For the bulk of TC members in the UK -- Will this have a serious effect on your current buying habits?

I have not seen any concrete evidence from the for or against camp about how it would affect me. Plenty of right wing personal opinion being portrayed as fact but to be honest I do not feel informed. I think this because no one really knows the impact of leaving.

To be honest I think we are about 20 years to late for a clean break to be economically viable, we are not as big and powerful as we think we are anymore.

I guess the status que is better than economic collapse

• Like 1

Similar scaremongering before the independence vote in Scotland.

With the amount of goods/money traded between the nations,it will just resort back to a (modified) common market.

China isn't in the EU anyway so I don't see how that would effect buying our beloved Tamiyas.

It's a no vat or customs duty,trade deal with America I'll be hoping for,RC equipment looks so cheap,plus would help with 1:1 parts 😀

I don't like the way democracy is headed with further EU integration. We democratically elect our government which makes them accountable to a degree. The European process is too far removed, they're not democratically elected and I fear for what happens when too much power goes to any one place. It's a subtle shift with disastrous consequences. Look at Venezuela, or Zimbabwe when corruption takes over and subsequently becomes unstoppable.

Most wars are fought to gain freedom, yet all the freedoms and civil liberties won through war, seem to be getting taken back slowly through the back door both in Europe and in the UK. I hate politics, but how things like Cameron's recent snoopers charter goes through so easily and under the radar is shocking.

The government are elected to represent the people, at some point the power shift moves from ruling by the consent of the people to ruling over the people. I'm a fan of the decentralised model, I have concerns over the future of what the EU holds. I agree with Nobbi that it is late in the day to change and no doubt if we leave we'll potentially experience a decade of pain but if we stay where will we be in a decade? I feel the long term consequences of remaining in is the graver danger. Europe has already shown how much it values the UK in the lame deal it offered Cameron, I fear they'll value us even less if we remain in.

It's easy to go along with the status quo as it is, but remaining as we are really isn't an option, the future will inevitably involve further integration and interference if we remain.I guess it depends how you view Brexit; Is it a huge risk, or a great opportunity? If we leave, we will need a strong government to see us through, that doesn't inspire a huge amount of confidence but I'd rather take my chances with democratically elected politicians with more control over the UK's direction. We would need to invest heavily in R&D and education to survive.

If you take Europe and the together we're stronger line, that's almost become a necessity because every member state has become diminished by membership of the EU, like children dependant on their parent. Greece, Ireland (both requiring bail outs), Spain, Portugal, Italy all weaker than they were 10-15 years ago. In fact the single currency probably screwed most of them up (to Germany's advantage), it's good we opted out, now the EU want ever closer integration.

Mr Churchill's haunting words...talk about foresight!

bfc89b3927cbcd0e87112103cf3ada73.jpg

Hair raisingly Patriotic stuff ;)

• Like 3

My hobby buying won't be altered as I buy most stuff from outside the EU anyway. I've noticed that nearly all the discussion about Britain leaving the EU has been centred around the economy and what the effect will be, but there are other considerations as well. We've suffered a poor economy before and survived.

As above, just scaremongering - like the current 'Britain Better in the EU' campaign is founded upon.

If we vote to remain IN the Eu, we may as well just bulldoze the Houses of Parliament or turn them into a museum, since they will eventually become obselete under EU rule.

Apparently, that's two different quotes cobbled together for propaganda, neither of which were uttered in 1953;

There'll be a whole load more propaganda before the vote,from both sides of the argument!

we may as well just bulldoze the Houses of Parliament

Every cloud,as they say 😀

• Like 1

Good find, thank you for that link. There is lots more interesting info there.

There are so many untruths surrounding Brexit on both sides. I guess it's a case for us, the electorate trying to get to the right decision whatever that may be. I don't place much confidence in any media commentary, too many differing perspectives, bias, contexts and selective reporting as well as misrepresentation/manipulation of data. At least looking at both sides, however exaggerated they may be, helps with finding some sort of balance between all the bull.

My father always said to me, the people know best. It'll be interesting to see what way it goes, I also wonder how strong the turnout will be. Another forum I'm on, a poll showed a 70:30 split in favour of leave. Of course that is a specific segment of the population and probably a similar demographic group.

ps. With regards to buying habits, I guess it all depends on the rate exchange and any duties that are added/reduced subject to who become our trading partners in the event of an exit. The climate might mean we spend more with UK stockists! If we remain in, I can't see much changing with regards to where we buy from/spending habits.

Good find, thank you for that link. There is lots more interesting info there.

There are so many untruths surrounding Brexit on both sides. I guess it's a case for us, the electorate trying to get to the right decision whatever that may be. I don't place much confidence in any media commentary, too many differing perspectives, bias, contexts and selective reporting as well as misrepresentation/manipulation of data. At least looking at both sides, however exaggerated they may be, helps with finding some sort of balance between all the bull.

My father always said to me, the people know best. It'll be interesting to see what way it goes, I also wonder how strong the turnout will be. Another forum I'm on, a poll showed a 70:30 split in favour of leave. Of course that is a specific segment of the population and probably a similar demographic group.

I'd already made my mind up on the issue before we had a chance to vote on it, and I'm not going to change it between now and voting day ;).

Is it just me, or is very difficult to comment on this subject in a public forum without getting too political ?

• Like 2

Is it just me, or is very difficult to comment on this subject in a public forum without getting too political ?

Yup, I've replied three times and deleted them as I don't really want to get into a fight with anyone :lol:

• Like 5

Well, despite perfectly adult debate, the poll thread got closed on the other forum I was on by the moderators, so I think you're probably right.

I'm clear on which way I feel, I doubt anything in the next few months will change that either. I guess most people will vote based on the phenomena they have observed and experienced for themselves and where it is that they believe the UK will be better placed for the future!

All I want is a list of pros and cons from both camps. I fear we will leave based on casual racism and then find that just because we can do X Y and Z because we have left that we do not do it anyway.

This type of politics is hard because no one has hard facts, just opinions on what might happen or be possible.

Agreed. Almost impossible to find un-biased reasons either way. I'm beginning to sit in the "If you cant say why its better to leave without spin then I am voting to stay" camp. The churchill post above is a classic example of manipulation and both sides are guilty of it.

The biggest problem is that there are simply too many variables to validate any of the pro's and cons either way.

I'd like to think racism doesn't come into it, there are far more compelling reasons for exit.

Agreed. Almost impossible to find un-biased reasons either way. I'm beginning to sit in the "If you cant say why its better to leave without spin then I am voting to stay" camp. The churchill post above is a classic example of manipulation and both sides are guilty of it.

I think I am the same. I would love to think leaving would revolutionise things but having studied economics at uni many years ago I don't think we are I position to stand alone anymore.

The biggest problem is that there are simply too many variables to validate any of the pro's and cons either way.

I'd like to think racism doesn't come into it, there are far more compelling reasons for exit.

I think many people will vote on the "too many immigrants, control our borders" propaganda

Check out "Brexit the movie" on you tube.

how does that saying go, no pain no gain…………………….  

At election time, the crazy thing is that almost everybody will have to vote based on their gut feeling. Any real rational arguments either way are obscured by our government, which in itself is totally ironic. 

• Like 1

Brexit? I'd like Britain to leave the EU but I know that we won't survive the financial backlash. This nation isn't in a position where it can be self sufficient enough to make the transition.

As for shopping abroad I've already had to stop buying from the US (unless I'm actually going there) as the added fees tend to be more then the item is worth. Buying from Japan, HK, China, any of the SE Asia sellers, is still a go. I only really buy small parts so it's all good if I buy from any of those places. I've rarely had a reason to buy within the EU and, on the few occasions that I have, every transaction has been smooth. If I were to have cause to purchase more frequently within the EU I would probably be more inclined to believe we should stay part of it.

Well gentleman, it appears you, our cousins across the pond are officially exiting the EU.

I support you in this brave endeavour and am confident you will come out on top and once again be the country that has set the example for the rest of the world

• Like 4

Yes, it happened but nothing will change for two years or more.

Max