Sign in to follow this  
simple

Help with early "Brat"

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to collecting and Tamiyaclub so I hope you can help[?] I've just got a really nice original Brat, but it didn't have any radio gear with it, the speedo still has the 6 volt connection on it, does anybody A: Know where I can get a 6v battery and charger lead? Or what mods can be done to make it 7.2 volt? Also I have tried a 7.2 but it won't fit the Brat chassis (too narrow), can anything be done about this? B: The radio gear I'm fitting is Acoms AP227, it has servo connections that actually clip into the side of the receiver, the radio did not come with a battery box, is this radio BEC compatible? The battery connection on the servo has three pins in it, can anyone help with this as I have never seen this type of receiver before, can I use a standard 2-pin battery box and switch harness? Also does anyone know what type of Acoms switch harness I should use. Basically, if anyone has the correct parts they would like to sell please let me know. I would like to try and keep it as authentic as possible, but if a few concessions to modernity have to be made I'm ok with that. Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

simple026

The Tamiya 6V (5N-1200) pack is just 5 subC cells soldered in series side-by-side and packed in a hard plastic case.

Brat/Frog will accept 7.2V (6N-1200) "hump" packs, which is the above 5 cells with a 6th slung on top between 2nd & 3rd cells. The hump fits into the centre chassis cavity.

It can also take 7.2V stick packs if you reverse the 2 screwed-on tabs at the ends of the battery compartment to make it wider.

You can buy loose subC cells to build 5N or 6N hump packs; the plastic case is not necessary - just shrinkwrap or cover with tape. Battery plugs to suit either will still be available at good LHS and some electronics stores.