Wooders28

DF03 - Dark Impact,hardened slipper gear

When I started back into the RC hobby a while ago,I bought a Dark Impact.

Then came the inevitable upgrade to the world of brushless and lipo.

I was told that the gear on the slipper shaft was the weak point on these models and to get a 'five stars' one if I was to run brushless.

Anyway,after a good while trying,couldn't find one,but,I found out that 'revco' do a hardened helicopter pinion that fits,with a bit of work,so got one and fitted it,but didn't photo anything etc etc.

After buying another Dark Impact a bit ago on here,I purchased another revco pinion and this time took photos! 😀

The pinion:-

DSC_0314.jpg

Removing the slipper shaft:-

DSC_0097_1.jpg

Used an angle grinder to chop a chunk off to get it to a closer size :-

DSC_0098_1.jpg

Into the lathe to skim to the final size (not hard hard metal,so wasn't a problem):-

DSC_0101_1.jpg

Down to the correct size:-

DSC_0103.jpg

Press the old pinion off:-

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

Heat up the new pinion and press it on :-

DSC_0107.jpg

Actually missed a pic,but cleaned the burrs off with a diamond file :-

DSC_0108.jpg

Job done.

DSC_0109.jpg

I've never had any issues with the modded slipper in my other Dark Impact running 5700kv on 3S,but haven't had the gearbox apart to check either,(bent shocks,snapped chassis,snapped drive shafts,snapped wishbones,but still not checked the gearbox!)

So there you go,if you fancy swapping the pinion,it's not too hard and tbh,you could do it with just an angle grinder and a vice.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2016 at 2:24 AM, Wooders28 said:

Heat up the new pinion and press it on :-

DSC_0107.jpg

Just out of interest, as the image isn't clear, what did you use to heat up the new pinion? 

3 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Just out of interest, as the image isn't clear, what did you use to heat up the new pinion? 

Yeah, just a blow torch. Didn't need it tbh, others have just pushed them on in a vice no problem. Just find stuff slides on easier when it's warm 😁

(And the 10t hydraulic press was overkill, but it was sat doing nothing so...🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Galaxy76 said:

I can't find the Pinion (devco M0.6 18T HO-0600-LH) you suggested.  Where can I buy?

I just bought it off eBay, but it was 2016.

Seemingly thin on the ground now, and someone else had bother, so contacted an engineering company to get some made.

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTE5NzIzODUzODk0NjQyNjY6MjAwNDk5MjA4OTUzNjkyOQ%3D%3D

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Galaxy76 said:

Thanks! Ship in italy? 

And And how much is it?

Not a clue, 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure you can find a company to make it / them in Italy. 

(I say them, you'll find it be as cheap to get a few made, possible sell some to get your money back)

1 hour ago, Galaxy76 said:

I wonder why tamiya doesn't produce a steel axis for dark impact as an option?

I dont think brushless where common place when the Dark Impact was released in 2006, but , five stars did do an upgrade, but can only guess they didn't sell enough to carry on production.

I have come to an idea to resolve the problem of Dark Impact's rear Differential ball. I have a TL-01 frame. I thought the differential could be compatible with some modification. In fact I could see that it can be used to use. You only have to put the 15x5x4 bearings and some thickness. Obviously you must fix the satellite group of the dark impact and for technical reasons you can do it rear. But this I will do when I will have a problem with the original Dark Impact differential. Now until I have not yet any problem, so until it will not have to do this amendment, but I just wanted to tell you that you can do it without big problems. So if someone has a dark impact that does gear white plastic fuse, can try to make this amendment.

Screenshot_2019-12-24-13-03-18-451_com.miui.gallery.png

IMG_20191224_102343.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Galaxy76 said:

Other angle pictures.

Screenshot_2019-12-24-13-03-35-031_com.miui.gallery.png

Screenshot_2019-12-24-13-03-24-190_com.miui.gallery.png

Interesting idea!! 

Be good to hear how you get on. I've had no issues with the diffs running solid outdrives (I'm running , yeah racing, but fronts in the rear seem to be the same) and tungsten carbide diff balls.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Galaxy76 said:

Are these the spheres you suggest to me? Silicon nitride? Are these correct?

Screenshot_2019-12-24-23-10-18-284_com.android.chrome.png

Not sure of the translation, but 3mm 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F261352466991

Or the genuine tamiya ones are (but double the price)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F293340522178

Breathing life back into this one...

Neil at RW Racing has the hardened steel pinions back in stock now, I've been in touch with him about making a new batch for a few months now and mine were delivered late last week.

Just off out to the garage to press it onto the slipper shaft....fingers crossed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It went like a charm @Superluminal :D

I followed @Wooders28 instructions and it went without hitch. I didn't need the blow torch, the RW Racing pinion slid on far enough by hand to then be used to push the original pinion off in a vice. I used a 6mm socket at the base of the shaft and a few nuts in between the socket and the pinion as a brace

4.thumb.jpeg.0ba03b17a4a5b33d158ebf52146b220e.jpeg

I measured the gap at the top of the original part to get the spacing right; it was 3.2mm, or pretty much exactly two large washers!

2.thumb.jpeg.e83791ac75f739e27fa15aceb051f55e.jpeg3.jpeg.dfb3698d9e97f800ca83dd769bfd5f63.jpeg

Then into the vice with a Torx bit to act as a shaft extension at the top for the old pinion to slide off onto. 

5.thumb.jpeg.6a9749094bf66be9ef9acf825b7337e8.jpeg

It pushed off quiet easily really, almost got it right first time 

6.thumb.jpeg.3c08d6cfe0cab799b5474eaafd282c7e.jpeg

Then on with the washer spacers, and back in the vice to tidy it up to 3.2mm

7.thumb.jpeg.ff5cb30608cc3a7337778e1266e12bc0.jpeg

8.thumb.jpeg.95963449a424eedcc5007a708e709c4a.jpeg

Job done!

9.thumb.jpeg.edb0a8837062a8efc093b474e1513fac.jpeg

I ordered a couple of pinions from RW Racing in case I messed one up, and also have two DF03 slipper sets (as you do :rolleyes:) I ordered them from RCJaz and they were so cheap I bought two in case I snapped the shaft when changing the pinion. But it all went smoothly so now I have two complete DF03 slipper clutch sets, each with a hardened steel pinion!

10.thumb.jpeg.be5c430827947eab448ede3f9810efdd.jpeg

Huge thanks to @Wooders28, who has been really helpful! I've been holding off from starting the build until I had this part sorted, as it comes PRETTY early in the instruction manual! But now this is sorted I'm ready to go....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Huge thanks to @Wooders28, who has been really helpful!

No problem, glad someone found advice i gave useful 😁

Ok to post the link to the thread on the DF03 Facebook page?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

No problem, glad someone found advice i gave useful 😁

Ok to post the link to the thread on the DF03 Facebook page?

Absolutely, go for it!

• Like 1

Thats flippin awesome! So glad it worked and looks like i could even manage that. I have emailed RW racing to order some - did you get yours from the website or did you order them via email?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

Thats flippin awesome! So glad it worked and looks like i could even manage that. I have emailed RW racing to order some - did you get yours from the website or did you order them via email?

I've been in email contact with Neil about this for a few months now, and I placed the order via PayPal when he got them back in stock last week. Don't think they're on the website yet...

On 12/24/2019 at 12:06 PM, Galaxy76 said:

I have a TL-01 frame. I thought the differential could be compatible with some modification

I'm wondering if this mod, could be used for setting the slipper? 

Without fear of slipping the diff, you can kneel on the rear tyres, and adjust ,as you would a 2wd! 

Is it all TL-01 gears and outdrives?

Then modify a df03 diff centre to fit?

Look similar to the dt03 diff?

Looks like they are back in stock... just got mine today! 

https://www.rwracing.co.uk/product/tamiya-df-03-main-shaft-gear-6-module-18t-12mm-wide

On the left is the pinion from RW Racing. 

On the right is a helicopter pinion I found on the HobbyKing site that might work.  I ordered it prior to noticing RW Racing had them back in stock. The HobbyKing pinion slides right on... not a press fit and tooth width is narrower. Not sure if it will work but was going to give it a shot as I am not a fan of the aluminum bits falling off the OEM gear. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-0-6m-hardened-steel-helicopter-pinion-gear-5mm-shaft-18t.html

y4my5N8v0G7w_dMFYJrnaeQYSM2xeoXA5OMQ87Uq

• Like 1