Sign in to follow this  
NobbySideways

Alloy components (DT cars)

Hi there, just got a couple of questions about the Alloy components on the market if people would be so kind? I've done a forum search and read up on what has been written so far, just trying to ensure I have it right in my head. The questions are underlined for those who can't be bothered to read all my ramblings.

I've got a DT03, my two boys have DT02s. I'm running brushless and lipo, one boy has Lipo, one a hot motor (Dad has to be fastest, its the rules. And I have the grown up budget).

Looking at the tuning parts available I wonder how much is bling and how much is useful? For example the alloy wishbones are touted as improving strength, but I can't help but think that by increasing their strength we just push the impact forces into a harder to replace component? I've already snapped one chassis (as noted in the Shortest Runs thread...).

So realistically, replacing the wishbones means replacing a flexible item for one that will push the impact into other components. The alloy battery brace, surely heavier than the plastic one and has no structural improvement. The servo mount, ok, I can potentially see the point of that as it would reduce slop in the steering, but again a bit of flex there might just save my servo in the event of a thump?

So far I've got CVA dampers, ball bearings throughout, steel pinion, alloy C-hubs (in the post...), carbon front damper posts (snapped my old one twice over, bored of replacing it). I've just snapped my rear damper mounts so I guess if that happens again I'll go carbon there too. What else should I be improving? Have I hit the ceiling of what is realistically worth upgrading? Because if I have I'll need another car to play with: I get bored...

I'm aware I seem to be breaking a lot of things; to be fair I've had my DT03 since they first came out and we get a lot of use and enjoyment out of them. The damage I've had has largely been the result of driver error. I'm still a newbie when it comes to actually getting the thing round the track.

Thanks for any advice you can give, much appreciated.

Alloy is mostly all about bling, IMHO. Plastic flexes and absorbs impact - it just doesn't look as nice and shiny...

Get another car anyway... ;)

• Like 2

Alloy hubs can sometime be an advantage, but arms are for shelf bling only. They add rigidity, hence transferring all impact stress to the hing pin area, result bent hinge pins at best, broken chassis tub more likely

• Like 1

I have two DT-03's and three DT-02's.. After Ball bearings and shocks I always do alloy C-Hubs and Rear Knuckles. i NEVER do suspension arms on any of my cars, as mentioned earlier it's moves the stress to more valuable areas.

I am going to be adding the alloy servo mount in both my DT-03's though as I've found it adds a very nice amount of inner rigidity to the whole chassis and does improve handling without stressing anything.

I've only got Turnbuckles on two of the cars atm but probably will update most... "My son has turnbuckles on his; we just spend all the time clicking them back on" That's probably a good thing, maybe you'd be replacing broken parts if it were not for the turnbuckles hehe

Also, I have a few sets of 12mm hex front adapters so I can use lots of wheel and tyre combos...

K

I tried those front wheel adaptors and couldn't get them to work. If the alloy rear hubs are worthwhile then I'll invest in those. Thanks for all the advice everyone

I tried those front wheel adaptors and couldn't get them to work. If the alloy rear hubs are worthwhile then I'll invest in those. Thanks for all the advice everyone

I use these ones .. New GPM ones ...

K

• Like 1

I use these ones .. New GPM ones ...

K

Thats the ones I tried! I felt like a right idiot. When I did up the nut it all went tight... I did wonder if you were supposed to rely on the locking nylon of the locknut but that just seemed like bad engineering.

A Hi-Torque servo saver.....

Make that next buggy a DB01, it will stay on the track unbelievably better than the DT03 and has shirt loads of Hop-Ups A.

I personally shy away from alloy upgrades as much as possible. I race a Kyosho RB6 and the only alloy part I have on that is the steering plate (ackerman plate) because that broke in a dumb collision and is a PITA to replace. Other than that I have not broken a single thing on it in 2 years of racing. On the other hand we have a member in our club who drives a Kyosho ZX5 Lazer with alloy front and rear shock towers and he keeps destroying his diff housing because of them. Just as Percymon said: you want the cheaper and easier to replace parts to brake instead of transferring stress to other parts that are more difficult or more expensive.

The DT02 is very tough IMO. If you're breaking shock towers, make sure that your chassis is bottoming out (slapping the ground) before whatever dampers are fitted reach their maximum travel. If the dampers reach maximum travel then this puts stress on the towers.

As above mentioned, adjustable suspension arms are very good too as the ball connector tends to just pop off rather than break anything. Pop back on and carry on! Don't be tempted by blue alloy or lightweight aluminium ball connectors here either; they shouldn't be used wherever there is 'high stress', they can sheer off (I've learned from painful experience).

My DT02 yesterday; Mrs bought me a skateboard ramp from the charity shop, well happy!

"Catch!"

IMGP0731.jpg

• Like 4