Pintopower

Ampro tamiya cw01 upgrades

Hey folks, I have been doing some work on my CW01's lately, trying to ignore my hatred of Project Hor-Cha-Hop. I made some Midnight Pumpkin body mounts and a brace for the transmission to stop the irritating slap of the trans under torquing. My current design has to do with my double wishbone front end upgrade on the Hornet. I am working on an updated version akin to a Grasshopper II where the shock is sunk deep into the arm. This will allow you to use a 50mm touring car shock. However, this "sunken" shock mount setup will not work on a CW01, nor will it work if you want to keep the friction shocks on a Hornet/Hopper. So I made one that leverages the Tamiya steel spring mount. Tested on the Hornet and it is perfect. I installed in on the CW01 and there was an unexpected change; wheel track. The front of the CW01 is now 15-20mm wider than stock. Now this is very desirable if you want to run and jump the CW01's hard, it makes them much more stable. If I shorten the arm by 10mm, it will do a few bad things.

1. The upright will come closer to the shock mount and hit the shock. This will require moving the shock more inboard.

2. The shock needs to move inboard. Ignoring the above issue, narrowing the track will result in forcing the shock to move proportionally to the shortening. this now reduces the lever arm on the suspension arm reducing travel of the shock (not the wheel) and also inadvertantly raising the front end.

I think I am correct in beleiving that widening the front end is a better route since anyone that would install this (like me on my race truck) wants more stability. Plus, the drawbacks to narrowing the front end are seriously bad. Love to hear some input. Here is where the testing is (had to borrow SuperFly's upright):

26084438183_c186c2bf52_z.jpg

26415094150_92bd86a1ef_z.jpg

The widened track from the front

26082400794_8398539061_z.jpg

From above (sorry, black floor)

26595257632_1722324a5c_z.jpg

26414918840_f77336f539_z.jpg

Also, the upper link will mount to a part that will be wedged by the servo with no screws. This means that this mod will require zero holes or alterations to your CW01. I hate drilling and cutting on stuff I paid for. 

The MP Mounts are working great on a side note. I change the direction of the pin holes on t he front mounts and made a nice base for the rear body to sit on. Fits perfect on stock body with no mods needed.

25776381736_787114e05b_z.jpg

The trans brace has made the trucks so much less annoying too. Simple little part and easy to install. 2 holes, sorry. 

25185424543_eaed288715_z.jpg

26018700410_941bc27c0b_z.jpg

There are also Wheelie bar wheels and Lunchbox body mounts that come in all the shapeways colors. I think that's all for now. 

All that stuff is in the store under CW01 or MP/LB depending on how specific it is. 

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ampro

• Like 5

Ok I made 2. That wasn't so hard. The lower one should have nearly zero offset. The top will be +20mm total. Now I need to test them. 

26603206942_867a49cf7f_o.jpg

• Like 3

So here is the center support:

26657737041_5224a91063_z.jpg

It allows for the pivot points for the arms and upper length to be equal. Also note, there are zero holes drilled anywhere on the chassis for this upgrade. I am happy about that. The offset with the new arms:

26630385142_c6eda53e4b_z.jpg

26697871276_f1fec6d22f_z.jpg

26120244073_ae5ed25c1c_z.jpg

Now I need to order some from shapeways since my material is way to hard and brittle. Keep you posted. 

• Like 5

Loving this development Alberto! :D

I think the Frog hex adaptors will give the truck a slightly wider rear track so will be a closer match for the wider front track you have created.

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-53913-frog-2005-wheel-adapter-p-18599.html?cPath=595_744_972

I have both setups at home so will try and have a measure up at some point.

Not that I have an LB but how about arms that will take front C hubs to give people the chance to run hexes all the way around? Would open up this model to a huge of wheels and tyres

23 hours ago, skip665 said:

Loving this development Alberto! :D

I think the Frog hex adaptors will give the truck a slightly wider rear track so will be a closer match for the wider front track you have created.

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-53913-frog-2005-wheel-adapter-p-18599.html?cPath=595_744_972

I have both setups at home so will try and have a measure up at some point.

Oh man you are right. I have some too that I can test out with some King Blackfoot rims. I didn't think about that. 

23 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Not that I have an LB but how about arms that will take front C hubs to give people the chance to run hexes all the way around? Would open up this model to a huge of wheels and tyres

Hmmm, that is a thought but the issue is the shock mount. I cannot move it in any more any mounting it elsewhere would require some weird geometry and way more material, skyrocketing the price of the parts. As it is, the shock mount cannot accept anything more than a shock of 18mm Diameter. There is about 0.5 gap between it and the upright with the short arms as it is. That is already uncomfortable for me. I like the idea and will see what development brings. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pintopower said:

Oh man you are right. I have some too that I can test out with some King Blackfoot rims. I didn't think about that. 

I have a CW01 with a set of Wild Willy rims which mimic the look of the standard wheels.  I dont think the back spacing is any different to the standard wheels.

9 hours ago, skip665 said:

I have a CW01 with a set of Wild Willy rims which mimic the look of the standard wheels.  I dont think the back spacing is any different to the standard wheels.

So the offset is the same as the stock wheels + the hex adapter which is like 15mm thick right?

15 hours ago, Pintopower said:

So the offset is the same as the stock wheels + the hex adapter which is like 15mm thick right?

Yup - just about.. Its only a subtle difference but it is slightly wider...  Probably 5mm or more..

7 hours ago, skip665 said:

Yup - just about.. Its only a subtle difference but it is slightly wider...  Probably 5mm or more..

Oh I like that idea. 

Guess who is getting a light kit?

26869886361_2d6d7c7b63_z.jpg

An not its not stopping at the tail lights. When I do lights, I do lights. 

• Like 1

oooo sweet, I'll be able to do this with my black edition when I finally pick it up :D

18 hours ago, Pintopower said:

Guess who is getting a light kit?

An not its not stopping at the tail lights. When I do lights, I do lights. 

Not sure I can squeeze any more in. :unsure:

fuzzbox5.jpg

Awesome, I admire your skill in creating these parts

Thanks guys. Here is a mint body completely ruined now:

26879131491_2a24f558b4_z.jpg

26342792303_5acb9eb0ae_z.jpg

26879132791_48540397a8_z.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StrokerBoy said:

Not sure I can squeeze any more in. :unsure:

fuzzbox5.jpg

I can see loads of space for more lights in there :P

8 hours ago, Darat76 said:

I can see loads of space for more lights in there :P

Yeah, I should probably have done the orange marker lights on both sides too.  It's not too late...

fuzzbox30.jpg

• Like 2

and spot lights, driving lights, and my personal favorite, the "blind that idiot" light :D

On 5/12/2016 at 1:09 AM, StrokerBoy said:

Yeah, I should probably have done the orange marker lights on both sides too.  It's not too late...

fuzzbox30.jpg

Yeah, it needs more lights. 

;)

fuzzbox30.jpg

;)

fuzzbox30.jpg

;)

fuzzbox30.jpg

;)

I just noticed it's missing the 50 cal roof mount, and the side mounted dual gatling's.....

And just realized, the lunchbox has more than ample space to fit a light and sound kit, unlike some other kits out there....

Good+news+everyone+good+news+everyone+to

My lunchbox has real suspension!

Here is the sprue for the zero offset front end that I used on the LB:

26503475443_159a7bf1b1_z.jpg

Here is the 8mm offset version (8mm per side)

27018699412_9e8e553b17_z.jpg

The zero offset front end is tight for the shock so one of those massive big bore set ups won't fit. You can also adjust the position of the upright with 2 washers. This helps keep part cost down and allow for adjustment. I moved the upright all the way forward to make sure the upper link clears the spring.

26503466623_5893df74d7_z.jpg

I forgot a pic of the new center mount installed so here is the old one. Zero additional holes or any cutting of any sort is needed. 

26657737041_5224a91063_z.jpg

All assembled:

26501756474_6e56710742_z.jpg

I gave it 3 deg negative camber:

26501755304_dd26511d2c_z.jpg

And now under compression!

27038955171_7cab2a8d1d_z.jpg

I just ordered another set for my Midnight Pumpkin. Man I am happy with this one! 

If anyone is interested, they are here:

Zero Offset for stock sized shocks and stock travel:

http://shpws.me/McXB

8mm Offset for more shock options and increased travel

http://shpws.me/McXv

I hope you enjoy!

• Like 2

Nice one, very tempted with these! I'll start looking in to some turnbuckles :)