Pintopower

Ampro tamiya cw01 upgrades

18 hours ago, waterbok said:

One of the main rear lights doesn't have the hole for the square insert or is that optional?

edit: I think SW is still on V1

Yes that was a reverse light left in there. Thanks for pointing it out. Due to the resolution of the shapeways print it comes right out but then they will just lose it after its cleaned. File has been updated. 

Episode 14 is out: CW01 Suspension upgrade with 4 minutes of Slo-Mo Pumpkin Jumping. Thats always fun!

• Like 1

Thumbs up for the jumpin' Pumpkin! It's so cool to see how the suspension and ballon tires do their hard work.

Just for fun, I turned on Youtube's automatically generated captions. 29:37... wait, what?!?

jumpinpumpkinq7u3q.jpg

You meant those chirping birds, don't you? ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GregM said:

Thumbs up for the jumpin' Pumpkin! It's so cool to see how the suspension and ballon tires do their hard work.

Just for fun, I turned on Youtube's automatically generated captions. 29:37... wait, what?!?

jumpinpumpkinq7u3q.jpg

You meant those chirping birds, don't you? ;)

AHAHAHAAHHAHAH! Yes, that was what I meant. 

• Like 1

Well I made the video of the tail lights on the Ford F100 working now!

• Like 1

Working on a lower rear shock mount. Ill do a proto and then a final nylon version at Shapeways. The width is 92mm to have proper geometry to mate with the upper mounts. 

Geometry is nothing like the Super Hornet or the version I made for the Hornet. 

28901125064_04b08744fd_c.jpg

• Like 2

Got the printer working and now here are the prototypes.  Test fit the proto and all was perfect! Off to shapeways for a final test.

29533310560_72fe46fb54_b.jpg

29198724484_b3f5c27cc8_b.jpg

29826011005_c0de20d200_b.jpg

Hi Pintopower,

now that moving is done and all the important bills are paid, I'm looking forward to invest some time and money into the R/C car hobby again.

As discussed via PM before, I consider equipping my CW-01 Pajero as well as my Hornet with your double wishbone front suspension as well as the rear pivot, plus the upgraded Hornet battery retainer to stop the guts from falling out. I'll keep the original bouncy shocks, since I'd like to make the suspension geometry work, but I'm not that much concerned about having oil dampers all around. The thing with the Pajero is though that I've already made the 3rd shock mod, so I've cut away some of the plastic to clear the gearbox' metal bar for the shock mount. Do you think the rear pivot will still work?

If necessary, I'll be uploading some photos in the next days, since I need to get the cars out of the boxes first. I've been following your videos with exitement! Do you happen to do a double wishbone front end for the DT-01 as well someday?

Cheers, GregM

22 hours ago, GregM said:

Hi Pintopower,

now that moving is done and all the important bills are paid, I'm looking forward to invest some time and money into the R/C car hobby again.

As discussed via PM before, I consider equipping my CW-01 Pajero as well as my Hornet with your double wishbone front suspension as well as the rear pivot, plus the upgraded Hornet battery retainer to stop the guts from falling out. I'll keep the original bouncy shocks, since I'd like to make the suspension geometry work, but I'm not that much concerned about having oil dampers all around. The thing with the Pajero is though that I've already made the 3rd shock mod, so I've cut away some of the plastic to clear the gearbox' metal bar for the shock mount. Do you think the rear pivot will still work?

If necessary, I'll be uploading some photos in the next days, since I need to get the cars out of the boxes first. I've been following your videos with exitement! Do you happen to do a double wishbone front end for the DT-01 as well someday?

Cheers, GregM

Do you mean you don't like your batteries dragging behind you? lol

As for the Pajero, you mean the RERE CW01 version right? If so then it is unlikely the brace will work. Depends where the cut is but if you made the 3rd shock mod then I would stick with it. With the DT01, I dont own one but the front end is possibly worse on that than the GH2, SHornet and RFighter. I would love to make one but I need to find someone to mail me a car to design it. 

Hope that helps and please reach out any time! 

Yes, I meant the re-release CW-01 Pajero, which uses the same chassis construction as the Lunchbox and Midnight Pumpkin. I don't worry on the battery retainer on the CW-01. I think if I add a spacer on the metal bar that has JUST the correct size, I could easily cover up the cut I made previously and make the gearbox suitable to your AMPRO pivot again.

In the meantime, I rediscovered the old DT-01 double wishbone conversion thread.

Thanks again for your helpful advice! :)

I finally placed my order today, thanks to the halloween discount at Shapeways. :)

21 hours ago, GregM said:

I finally placed my order today, thanks to the halloween discount at Shapeways. :)

Haha! Orange?

I finally got your upgrade parts installed. Very nice, they just fall into place and bolt on perfectly, just as you promised in your Youtube video. I managed to close the 3rd shock cutout in the gearbox by using scraps of a leftover Grasshopper plastic shock mount, has the right inner and outer diameter for the steel bar and gearbox case.

EDIT: Pictures added.

SAM_4829_zpsyvpmeewu.jpg

SAM_4828_zpsltmidz4c.jpg

Very nice! I also used black on my CW01's as the different shells I have are painted quite opposites from each other. I hope you enjoy them.

Hi there Alberto, considering the obvious differences between the Dodge Tradesman van body and that of the Pumpkin Ford, is there any chance that dual-purpose bodyposts can be made with your 3D printing system?

• Like 1

On 3/6/2017 at 9:37 AM, mongoose1983 said:

Hi there Alberto, considering the obvious differences between the Dodge Tradesman van body and that of the Pumpkin Ford, is there any chance that dual-purpose bodyposts can be made with your 3D printing system?

Hmmmm. Now there is a thought. Off the top of my head I have to say no simply due to the width of the Van but do you mean for stock mounts or some kind of modified style that would fit both but needing custom holes?

1 hour ago, Pintopower said:

Hmmmm. Now there is a thought. Off the top of my head I have to say no simply due to the width of the Van but do you mean for stock mounts or some kind of modified style that would fit both but needing custom holes?

What about a pivotal top part on both front bodyposts so you can swap bodies without having to unscrew and change them?

That would be great - being able to quickly swap between Pumpkin and Lunchie shells - a good challenge for you Alberto - all without modifying any parts as always :)

23 hours ago, skip665 said:

That would be great - being able to quickly swap between Pumpkin and Lunchie shells - a good challenge for you Alberto - all without modifying any parts as always :)

I think the main issue is that since the Lunchie is narrower, the MP mounts would have no where to go, at least in front. Plus, my concern is the I don't in any way trust the sheer of the Lunchie body mounts in SLS Plastic. Maybe ABS? Hmmm.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 8:16 AM, Pintopower said:

I think the main issue is that since the Lunchie is narrower, the MP mounts would have no where to go, at least in front. Plus, my concern is the I don't in any way trust the sheer of the Lunchie body mounts in SLS Plastic. Maybe ABS? Hmmm.

Maybe one for the future - you are slowly solving every other Tamiya problem - add it to the list :D

I now have 5 CW-01s with your double wishbone front end - seems rude no to! lol :) 

5 hours ago, skip665 said:

Maybe one for the future - you are slowly solving every other Tamiya problem - add it to the list :D

I now have 5 CW-01s with your double wishbone front end - seems rude no to! lol :) 

Ok you beat me out. I have it on both of mine! Even the loaner got them, I just felt sorry for it...so I know what you mean...HAHAH!!!

Thanks to being contacted by Joe Bonett who was the brains behind this, I was able to take his machined version and whip up a 3D printed diff locker for the CW01/Grasshopper/Hornet transmission. I need to make a driving video now!

• Like 3