netsmithUK

Know some of the gaps in our model data? subscribers can now help

Again, another results of the recent survey I sent out to all subscribers. I've now made the car database into a simple kind of wiki system meaning that I can now turn on as many editors of the data as we want/need (as a number of you expressed an interest in helping)

For now just post a link to your member page here and I'll set you up with access to the edit controls. All changes are audited and logged, and your name will appear under the data as a contributor. For each model we are looking for this kind of data, so if you have it at your finger tips and have some time please let me know

Cheers

Chris

options.png

• Like 2

@beefmuffin excellent. Log out of the main site and then back in again, then visit any car page with gaps and you should see an 'edit car' button on the page. Click it and from there it should be quite simple. Take a look at some of the other pages for examples of what we are looking for on each box and feel free to ask questions here if in doubt

The screens like this edit screen, and all the other behind the seens screens, are a little 'utilitarian' in their design ;) so if anything looks odd let me know.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, netsmithUK said:

@beefmuffin excellent. Log out of the main site and then back in again, then visit any car page with gaps and you should see an 'edit car' button on the page. Click it and from there it should be quite simple. Take a look at some of the other pages for examples of what we are looking for on each box and feel free to ask questions here if in doubt

The screens like this edit screen, and all the other behind the seens screens, are a little 'utilitarian' in their design ;) so if anything looks odd let me know.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris - will do soon!  Exciting stuff.

BTW I also stumbled upon an unhandled field-length issue posting up a new trade yesterday.  Somehow the full body text got pasted into the subject line.  Form posted but threw a 500 error.  Once I realized and shortened the subject field then resent all went thru fine.

thanks I'll take a look. With the new site, I'm going to be rewriting all these pages from scratch, so much of it is 10yr old, "what can I do by myself to get something out there asap" - I like to think of it as a 15 year beta test prototype ;) Whats coming next is the real platform. :)

Lol - I hear ya.  I have some asp dev under my belt as well.  Are you sticking with aspx with the new site or switching to something like angular.js on top?

There might be bits of angular in there, but not the whole site. New site will be based around bootstrap, with main language will still be based around Microsoft stuff (ASP and .net). Front end is getting completely rewritten.

• Like 1

Nice - am a fan of the MS enviro myself.  It's amazing how much you can do with just CSS these days, right?

I'm fairly mutlingual :) but I'm surrounded by people that work with MS every day, so there are always people I can refer too when needed, so sometimes its easier to go with the flow.

Chris

I'd like to help out with this too. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=43050

Another pro web guy here, I'm 50/50 split between front and back end. I switched from MS tech to open source around 2006 though, having done PHP for my personal sites since 2001.

I also have a site with a large user base which I redesigned and rewrote in 2012 after it had been around for 10 years, so I know exactly the monumental task you have Chris!

@Truck Norris Log out of the main site and then back in again, then visit any car page with gaps and you should see an 'edit car' button on the page. Click it and from there it should be quite simple. Take a look at some of the other pages for examples of what we are looking for on each box and feel free to ask questions here if in doubt

Worth knowing about your PHP skills. I'll add you both to my webdevs lists :)

I have used the official Tamiya sources when I did all the nitro range previously. A quick search on the official Tamiya sites usually gets them quickly. I find it's also good to put some info about the original car the kit was modelled on, like the year it won races etc.

@taffer @OCD Log out of the main site and then back in again, then visit any car page with gaps and you should see an 'edit car' button on the page. Click it and from there it should be quite simple. Take a look at some of the other pages for examples of what we are looking for on each box and feel free to ask questions here if in doubt

The system has really been built for crediting sources - I think as long as the info is in the public domain or personally measured, thats ok. I don't even know if things like Tyre Tread have official descriptions?

Thanks for all the help!

OK so @netsmithUK one thing I've noticed is nowhere to be found is entries for models based on optional body sets.  Winger, Super Dragon, etc.

I'm just finishing up working on this little guy and there's no way I know of to classify it as a Super Dragon.  Maybe there is and I just don't know - but it certainly doesn't appear in the list of Tamiya models.  What to do?? :huh:

26448933750_bfcd79c881_b.jpg

That's true across the whole Tamiya range though. Plenty of bodies issued as extras with no actual kit listed. I always list mine as any other Tamiya not listed but put a full description in to help people search for it.

21 hours ago, netsmithUK said:

@Truck Norris Log out of the main site and then back in again, then visit any car page with gaps and you should see an 'edit car' button on the page. Click it and from there it should be quite simple. Take a look at some of the other pages for examples of what we are looking for on each box and feel free to ask questions here if in doubt

Worth knowing about your PHP skills. I'll add you both to my webdevs lists :)

I've logged out and back in (a couple of times) but still don't see the "Edit car" button sorry! 

21 minutes ago, Truck Norris said:

I've logged out and back in (a couple of times) but still don't see the "Edit car" button sorry! 

Same here!

10 hours ago, netsmithUK said:

@taffer @OCD Log out of the main site and then back in again, then visit any car page with gaps and you should see an 'edit car' button on the page. Click it and from there it should be quite simple. Take a look at some of the other pages for examples of what we are looking for on each box and feel free to ask questions here if in doubt

The system has really been built for crediting sources - I think as long as the info is in the public domain or personally measured, thats ok. I don't even know if things like Tyre Tread have official descriptions?

Thanks for all the help!

Sorry no button that I can see either!

Excellent, that's working now!

Any reason why we can't edit release dates? I've got the Tamiya 40 years book here which has exact release dates for every model and part released between 1974 and 2014, so can fill in a lot of gaps.

I'm working on the dates and description bits - they will come along shortly

• Like 1

@beefmuffin @OCD @taffer @Truck Norris I've unlocked release date (This is a text field not a data, so can have 25/12/78 in or '1st Qtr 2012' etc.) Descriptions are not for 'opinions', thats for reviews, so please try and keep it to the background and facts. Also I don't mind this being 'heavily based' on Tamiyas description, but please don't copy it wholesale from other 3rd party sites - we don't want to upset any friends in the same area. Alos if the description is there please try and add to it rather than changing it. 

• Like 1