enjay

Pb 4wd mini mustang - am i going to find parts?

As per the title, I have a mid 80's Mini Mustang which a have retrieved from the folks garage, it hasn't run for over 20 years and as it's been with us for so long I'm thinking of trying to get her back up and running. Anyone else have any ideas? Not sure what it needs just yet as I need to have a good look at it. But having a quick Google it doesn't look too promising..

This could be a bit challenging,indeed. I have a project car myself that needs some bips and bops, i try to find a new set of rims for it for ages but seems these are pretty rare even in their native country. As a hint - you can look also for PB Maxima parts as the chassis is pretty same if i'm correct. 
Good luck with yours, mate. Gimme a shout if you stumble over a spare set of wheels;)

You do see the odd PB part(s) come up on ebay but the prices aren't generally cheap, so you are probably looking at a long and potentially costly search if it needs lots doing.

You know, I might have a set! There are some non standard on it that I put on when it was running and I know the originals are still in my dad's garage somewhere, red ones with small spiked tyres if I remember...

I'll have a root around when I'm there at the weekend.

Although not original, hotshot wheels are the same size and a direct fit if you want to get it up and running.

• Like 2

I'm lucky enough to have a Mini Mustang 2 speed as a runner.

You need to find out what it needs.

Wheels and Chassis spine are the hardest to find. As Madiventor said Hot Shot wheels bolt straight on.

12 minutes ago, MAD RACER said:

I'm lucky enough to have a Mini Mustang 2 speed as a runner.

You need to find out what it needs.

Wheels and Chassis spine are the hardest to find. As Madiventor said Hot Shot wheels bolt straight on.

Going to give it a good look over at the weekend  and I will post my amateur diagnostics and post some pics, I only have this one at the moment. .

20160501_154228.jpg

They are great cars, well worth the search. I do see the parts on evil bay from time to time. Your patience will be rewarded. Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

WelWell well, a bit of a bonus! I had a bit of time today to see if I could figure out what was up with this and I think it could be salvaged. First I had to change the battery fitting to the Tamiya type as the PB fitting is a two pronged fitting which clicks into place, seeing as the one battery I had for it had long bitten the dust. Once I hooked it up and switched on to my surprise it spluttered to life albeit just about. Electrics seem fine however it just ambled forward and back and only 3 of the wheels were in motion. So took it apart to have a closer look...

I ran the motor freely without it hooked up to the car and no problems, only once I fitted it back in place and then nothing, power to the motor but nothing turning. On closer inspection it appears the cog on the motor might not be screw on tight enough of the shaft, if I wedge something in the motor to stop the inners turning and turn the cog with my hand it moves on the shaft which suggests it's loose. Here's the kicker, I haven't got an Allen key that small (1mm I think) to tighten, not the end of the world granted but it's  Sunday night and I'm itching to see if this minor thing is the reason for this car not running in over twenty years!