Sign in to follow this  
scoobybooster

Alternativ tire for vintage hilux 58028?

Hope this has not been discussed 100 times before but as title says:

Is there an alternative tire (non Tamiya's) for the vintage Hliux 58028 that comes as close as possible to the originals?(dimensions and look-wise) Somebody knows dimensions of these tires? Are these 1.9's? 
Any ideas and / or pics would be much apreciated:-) 
Thanks in advance

I've got the Tamiya BF Goodrich tyres off my Toureg on mine, and I think that they look better than the originals..

Also, have a look at some of the 1.9' crawler tyres out there.. RC4WD makes quite a few that are based on full size tyres..

• Like 1

The BFGoodrich tyres are a popular choice looking through various image galleries.

The MT Cruiser tyres from the High lift hilux also fit well, but need inner foams to keep the inner tyre beads wide enough for the rims. These are mine..

2F705634-5092-4BA3-81BC-2E254E9C722E_zps

IMG_4677_zps9h0bktnf.jpg

RC4WD have a huge range of tyres but you need something around the 90-93mm outer diameter to avoid rubbing the wheelarches (esp at the rear, and more so if you fit softer leaf springs). The RC4WD tyres also tend to be very soft compounds , their isn't any strength in the sidewall and inner bead. Foams absolutely necessary and you may even have to cut some additional rings to act like a beadlock ring - see page 5 of spankrjs thread over on scale4x4 for an explanation of the concept..

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68954&page=5

I bought some RC4WD copies from China, tjhery are super soft and would be excellent crawler tyres but they wont stay put to the wheel rims, even with inner foams and contact adhesive !..

BE1951A2-0C53-4EB1-AAED-CC217CF77941_zps

E66C836C-D00E-4840-B7CB-E9AFD89A3BBA_zps

Also a little too big in diameter - good tyres but need a full beadlock clamping ring type of rim

• Like 1

Thank you guys for this. Of course i know all these super nice looking RC4WD's but i'm aware of the very soft rubber compound and that's exactly what keeps me off.
On the other hand i always wondered - or better say, noticed, that often when it comes to alternative tires for Hilux, people seem to try other brands but end up with Tamiya's finally.

When i look at Percymon's Hilux, i must admit that these look far better than i expected. They also seem to  have the advantage to be "drivable", which i would prefer instead of a perfect scale looking tire that tends to run off the rims al the time.

When I put the BFG's on my Hilux, I cut some rings from 50mm PVC pipe, and placed them inside the tyre to make them work like beadlock wheels..

• Like 1

The original tyres I have are ca 86mm outer diameter, the rock block and rock cruiser m/t tyres are ca 93mm. My RC4WD clones are 100mm....

F038148F-676A-4A59-930C-06744205AD23_zps

the biggest tyres look bigger still due to the square tread edge

22F93F3E-2994-4BED-A5AB-A35E605BAA39_zps

2E89085A-3A7B-49FC-B243-5C95C31DEF59_zps

41F9AC19-798B-4750-8254-0B888D914424_zps

• Like 1

Thanks again! Perfect pictures for comparison,Percymon- that's exactly what i need:).

Think i like the 93mm a lot. Little more diameter is what suits the Hilux very good IMO. I have some Blazer tyres as well, but never liked the beefy look when bolted on the Toyota. 

Hello everyone! It has been a while since my last visit to TC. I am back. During the last couple of years, i have received many enquiries about my SRB alloy wheel covers. Happy to tell you they will be back in stock very soon. And my next project will be  to reproduce some original Hilux , Blazer and Sand Blaster Jr front tires. Do you guys think there will be market for them?

Cheers

Peter

Guess i found a good solution for my tire replacement: Tamiya 58158 Hummer are a pretty close match, even the original inner rings can be used. They are slightly larger in diameter and also a little narrower than the originals but this can hardly be seen. I also like the scale profile of the Hummer's. Only little issue is that they are lacking the possibility of tire lettering.

Hilux 58028.3.JPGHilux 58028.2.JPG

The humvee's on the right side ;-)