beefmuffin

4wd lunchbox on gf-01 chassis?

Hey guys - has anyone tried mounting a Lunchbox body on a GF-01 chassis (like the Heavy Dump)?  My son loves the Lunchbox, but I want him to have something 4wd so it will be able to drive decently well in the grassy part near our house.  It would probably take some custom solutions to get the body mounts to work, or maybe just go up through the top (obviously using a re-re body!) using extended versions of how I think the GF-01 bodies are meant to be mounted.

Anyone tried it?  Is it a bad / crazy idea?

I may just build him a Heavy Dump as-is... but I think he'd get more of a kick out of a Lunchbox, but one that doesn't get stuck in wet grass.

Wow that's awesome, thanks!  Exactly what I was looking for.  :D

So how did you mount the body?  I see two mounting posts sticking out of the back.

If I do this, though I'd definitely cut around the sunroof hole and make a recess in the back part of the body to fit it into... that way I could use the normal Lunchbox sunroof.

I guess the decals would need some adjustment too... but not much.

Hopefully you can see the rear body mounts from the photo.

The fronts are a bit of a lash-up. The piece of white styrene that goes across the posts has two magnets underneath. The styrene in the body has two magnets on top. So you just line up the body posts with the holes and the magnets secure everything. 

DSCF6936.JPG

DSCF6937.JPG

DSCF6938.JPG

• Like 1

An alternative would be to use the full length LB shell on a MF01 chassis and add extra spacers to get the desired wheelbase. Then make a correct length propshaft from steel rod... or shorten a TL01 chassis 😉

Edit: I just measured my LB shell and the centre to centre wheel arch is 210mm so the MF01 should work out of the box.

• Like 1

Why go 4x4 when you can go 4x4x4 ? ;)

img33435_15072012232000_2.jpg

img33435_15072012232000_3.jpg

img33435_15072012232000_7.jpg

Rob's shortened bodyshell solution above is pretty awesome though :)

• Like 3

Google is your friend ;)

The magnets I used originally came out of slot cars, though I guess they're it's not too difficult to find some fairly strong magnets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IBIFTKH said:

Google is your friend ;)

The magnets I used originally came out of slot cars, though I guess they're it's not too difficult to find some fairly strong magnets.

LOL, I guess you've never heard of the Insane Clown Posse.  They are the Mozart of our age.

8 minutes ago, mr crispy said:

An alternative would be to use the full length LB shell on a MF01 chassis and add extra spacers to get the desired wheelbase. Then make a correct length propshaft from steel rod... or shorten a TL01 chassis 😉

Edit: I just measured my LB shell and the centre to centre wheel arch is 210mm so the MF01 should work out of the box.

I'm not familiar with this chassis - will look it up!. Thanks!

EDIT: hmm checked it out.. how well do you think it'd work with big lunchie wheels/tires?

31 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

Why go 4x4 when you can go 4x4x4 ? ;)

img33435_15072012232000_2.jpg

Every time I see this, I want one! One of these days...

• Like 3

I agree, I would like one to have one of these, but I can't even begin to identify the parts used, let alone the fitment

• Like 1

I discussed the same topic with a member who wanted to mount a Pajero/Montero body on a GF-01 chassis. The wheelbase of the WR-02 can be extended to suit the Pajero/Montero body by flipping the rear suspension arms and to suit the Luchbox/Pumpkin by flipping both the front and rear suspension arms.  As the GF-01 has the same wheelbase and suspension arms, basically the same can be done, but because the driveshafts won't clear the C-hubs when flipping the front suspension arms, flipping the front suspension arms isn't a viable solution. So, without chopping the body, the Lunchbox body can easily fit the WR-02, but not the GF-01.

(By flipping just the rear suspension arms, the Pajero/Montero body with its 190mm'ish wheelbase will fit the GF-01 though.)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

I discussed the same topic with a member who wanted to mount a Pajero/Montero body on a GF-01 chassis. The wheelbase of the WR-02 can be extended to suit the Pajero/Montero body by flipping the rear suspension arms and to suit the Luchbox/Pumpkin by flipping both the front and rear suspension arms.  As the GF-01 has the same wheelbase and suspension arms, basically the same can be done, but because the driveshafts won't clear the C-hubs when flipping the front suspension arms, flipping the front suspension arms isn't a viable solution. So, without chopping the body, the Lunchbox body can easily fit the WR-02, but not the GF-01.

(By flipping just the rear suspension arms, the Pajero/Montero body with its 190mm'ish wheelbase will fit the GF-01 though.)

Thanks Erik!  I think I'm going to give chopping the body a go since I have a re-re Lunchbox body and no other use for it, as I refuse to put vintage decals on it and install it on the new build vintage shelfer I'm working on.  I think I will invest in one of those Tamiya razor saw things...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beefmuffin said:

Thanks Erik!  I think I'm going to give chopping the body a go since I have a re-re Lunchbox body and no other use for it, as I refuse to put vintage decals on it and install it on the new build vintage shelfer I'm working on.  I think I will invest in one of those Tamiya razor saw things...

Probably the best option.

As for using the MF-01X chassis, I think it would have been a suboptimal solution for a model that is going to be run (hard) by a kid. The MF-01X chassis is very versatile with all (countless!) different wheelbases possible just by mixing the different types of extension pieces included, and using the M05 suspension arms, TL01- and WT01/TL01B suspension arms are also a direct fit. Endless possibilities..... I have 5 MF-01X'es so far for different uses (with different wheelbases and some with M05-, some with TL01-suspension arms), and "need" at least 2 more. In other words, I love it! However, the extension pieces and the chassis parts on each side of them don't line up so well and aren't the "positive" fit I'd like them to be, although all the screws will ensure that they stay assembled. Also, the drivetrain isn't really dustproof and even Tamiya recommends the Mf-01X for on-road use only for that very reason! Of course, with sealant and tape it can be made dustproof, but imho, that's a compromise. Also, the MF-01X lacks the overall robustness and simplicity of the WR-02/GF-01.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Probably the best option.

As for using the MF-01X chassis, I think it would have been a suboptimal solution for a model that is going to be run (hard) by a kid. The MF-01X chassis is very versatile with all (countless!) different wheelbases possible just by mixing the different types of extension pieces included, and using the M05 suspension arms, TL01- and WT01/TL01B suspension arms are also a direct fit. Endless possibilities..... I have 5 MF-01X'es so far for different uses (with different wheelbases and some with M05-, some with TL01-suspension arms), and "need" at least 2 more. In other words, I love it! However, the extension pieces and the chassis parts on each side of them don't line up so well and aren't the "positive" fit I'd like them to be, although all the screws will ensure that they stay assembled. Also, the drivetrain isn't really dustproof and even Tamiya recommends the Mf-01X for on-road use only for that very reason! Of course, with sealant and tape it can be made dustproof, but imho, that's a compromise. Also, the MF-01X lacks the overall robustness and simplicity of the WR-02/GF-01.

That was just too much information for my walnut-sized brain to process, LOL.  But I think the conclusion is, try the GF-01 and slicing and dicing.  Gonna give it a try!  Starting with the body, just to be sure I'm up to the task.  Otherwise will just opt of a Heavy Dump.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, beefmuffin said:

That was just too much information for my walnut-sized brain to process, LOL. 

Probably because the text came from a hazelnut-sized brain....  but the message was:

1. The MF-01X is nice, versatile and just like so many Tamiya chassises, it appears to have been put into production before it was ever built or run.

2. You want a couple of it for yourself.

3. You don't want it for your kid.

• Like 3