mheald

Monster beetle gearbox mod - parts now in production!

Sorry dude, I didn't hear anything before now so made something myself.  Keep us posted on other little gems though.

Ta Muchly

Thank you my gear box hop -ups parts just been dropped in my letter box . Great service and item but shall be a while before fitted though as have a few projects on the go.

21 hours ago, slimleeroy said:

Hi got the parts this morning.  Which one is bumper version and which is without please

Glad to hear that they've arrived.

• The one for 'with a bumper' has one set of plates with 3 screw holes and one set of plates with one screw hole. The plate with one screw hole is the one that sits flush with the gearbox and the one with 3 screw holes sits above it to create the sandwich effect.
  • The one for 'without a bumper' has 2 sets of plates with 3 screw holes as it doesn't have to compensate for the bumper mounts. The plate that goes on first and sits flush with the gearbox has a cut out within the inner circle and the second plate has a complete inner circle.

You can refer to the very first post to see one fitted.

Thanks!

Mike.

6 minutes ago, slimleeroy said:

Spot on.  Got them fitted thanks.  Is it normal for them to bend slightly when nipping the bolts up?

If you use the supplied washers that will eliminate the bend, there should be two used per screw, per side. If you look at your truck directly from the back it should look like...

monster beetle gearbox - washer - first plate - second plate - washer - nut.

The gearbox has pressed shapes in it that stick out slightly, that's why I supply washers to make sure there is no gap or bending between the gearbox and the plates. My first prototype showed this issue up hence me finding the perfect washers to fix the issue :)

Hope that helps.

Mrheald - thank you sir - I am back from my hols, and your parts have arrived!  Re your diagram above:- Is 'plate 1' 3 screw holed and 'plate 2' one screw holed, or the other way round?! lol...

Guys, just rebuilding my gearbox now..can anyone help me with a couple of Q's that I have.  Firstly, I cannot seem to get the 'SA6' to sit flush against the 'B2' parts.. can anyone help? They are simply different sizes?!  The gearbox cannot close flush onto the silver plates otherwise..I MUST be doing something wrong?  Any ideas?!..

Secondly, is there an upgrade for the 'B1' plastic ends that sit inside either metal plate?? 

Many thanks :-)

Hiya Mheald,

you got any left? I would like two 'with bumper' versions if you have them?

these things are like hot cakes huh? 😀

thanks,

G

On 26/07/2016 at 9:36 PM, Malakite said:

Mrheald - thank you sir - I am back from my hols, and your parts have arrived!  Re your diagram above:- Is 'plate 1' 3 screw holed and 'plate 2' one screw holed, or the other way round?! lol...

Guys, just rebuilding my gearbox now..can anyone help me with a couple of Q's that I have.  Firstly, I cannot seem to get the 'SA6' to sit flush against the 'B2' parts.. can anyone help? They are simply different sizes?!  The gearbox cannot close flush onto the silver plates otherwise..I MUST be doing something wrong?  Any ideas?!..

Secondly, is there an upgrade for the 'B1' plastic ends that sit inside either metal plate?? 

Many thanks :-)

Hey fella!

The plate that sits flush with the gearbox is the 'one hole' plate, its the one that has the cut out in the inner circle that matches up with the shape of the gearbox :)

With regards to the SA6, B2 parts, if they are the bits I think you're talking about, they never do sit flush as this gearbox is such a...well...well its rubbish ;) There is always a bit of slop in there that just 'looks wrong'. I re realised this when doing my re-re MB as once I'd finished the gearbox I was like 'is this reeeeeeally how it should be???' and it was, its just a shockingly bad bit of engineering. 

And B1, no, not that I'm aware of, they two are a bit naff ;)

This is why they made the upgraded gearbox for the later cars that used this chassis which is bulletproof.

1 hour ago, Gordini_2003 said:

Hiya Mheald,

you got any left? I would like two 'with bumper' versions if you have them?

these things are like hot cakes huh? 😀

thanks,

G

Yes indeed, I have 10 sets left, so 2 are now yours my good man :)

I'll PM you payment details now.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, mheald said:

Hey fella!

The plate that sits flush with the gearbox is the 'one hole' plate, its the one that has the cut out in the inner circle that matches up with the shape of the gearbox :)

With regards to the SA6, B2 parts, if they are the bits I think you're talking about, they never do sit flush as this gearbox is such a...well...well its rubbish ;) There is always a bit of slop in there that just 'looks wrong'. I re realised this when doing my re-re MB as once I'd finished the gearbox I was like 'is this reeeeeeally how it should be???' and it was, its just a shockingly bad bit of engineering. 

And B1, no, not that I'm aware of, they two are a bit naff ;)

This is why they made the upgraded gearbox for the later cars that used this chassis which is bulletproof.

Hi mate thank you for the reply.  What I really don't understand (its driving me crazy!!) is that the Metal gear (SA6) just simply will not slot inside/through the plastic bullraced part 'B2' (which has the 'SA4' bullrace inside.  It's nowhere near wide enough to allow the SA6 shaft to go through the middle??..what's happened?! :(

17 hours ago, mheald said:

As you can see - its not sitting flush, meaning the gearbox will not sit flush wth the metal plate either as a result? I'm sure I've done right as per the instructions - so what am I doing wrongly exactly? It's doing my head in!!

MB1.JPG

MB2.JPG

MB3.JPG

make sure your putting it in from the correct side, the plastic centre piece of the gearbox will only allow the gears to be inserted from one side to fit correctly

10 hours ago, Darat76 said:

make sure your putting it in from the correct side, the plastic centre piece of the gearbox will only allow the gears to be inserted from one side to fit correctly

do the gears look correct to you? As in there is a longer section one side??

48 minutes ago, Malakite said:

do the gears look correct to you? As in there is a longer section one side??

Looks right to me, you just need to flip the whole assembly around I think, so keep the plastic gearbox case where it is, spin the whole inner gear assembly around and try again. I think you've just got them in the wrong way around. The big plastic gearbox piece needs the gear assembly to be a certain way around...I think ;)

25 minutes ago, Rich T UK said:

The new components go outside the large metal gearbox plates, not inside it.

And yes, the mod parts go on the outside. I 'think' he's realised that but he's trying to re-build his gearbox after a strip down.

3 minutes ago, mheald said:

And yes, the mod parts go on the outside. I 'think' he's realised that but he's trying to re-build his gearbox after a strip down.

cool - at first glance it looked like something was going inside the box. PM'ed you to sort payment, BTW :) 

15 hours ago, Darat76 said:

Is hard to tell from the photos, but you might have the black case upside down???  

Terry

Yes guys you are absolutely correct - thats exactly the problem - I had the gearbox the wrong way round (what a fool!!)...at least thats sorted the problem though lol...Now for my next Q (sorry mheald!), the plates you have kindly sent me - may I ask, with putting the outer plate over the inner plate - two out of the the three screw holes, obviously don't sit flush against the gearbox, as there is the smaller 'one screw holed' plate sitting underneath - is that correct?  I'm just thinking therefore that I should not be over tightening the two screws/bolts on these bits in case it cases the plates to bow/crack - or am I doing something incorrect (AGAIN!!)?

Cheers!

22 minutes ago, Malakite said:

Yes guys you are absolutely correct - thats exactly the problem - I had the gearbox the wrong way round (what a fool!!)...at least thats sorted the problem though lol...Now for my next Q (sorry mheald!), the plates you have kindly sent me - may I ask, with putting the outer plate over the inner plate - two out of the the three screw holes, obviously don't sit flush against the gearbox, as there is the smaller 'one screw holed' plate sitting underneath - is that correct?  I'm just thinking therefore that I should not be over tightening the two screws/bolts on these bits in case it cases the plates to bow/crack - or am I doing something incorrect (AGAIN!!)?

Cheers!

The round thingy with one screw hole tab goes under the one with the three tabs.  You'll have to use the washers to space them correctly (see diagram above)...  

The one-tab thingy will mount with the notch fitting over the notch in the Tranny Case (notch for part B2).  The one tab on the one-tab will mount to the screw hole at the middle rear of the tranny.  

The three-tab thingy will mount on top of this and will use all three screw hole along the middle rear and bottom.  

I'm hoping my custom plates come in this week.  I'm using CRP pieces on my Tranny so the tabs didn't quite work for me...  

Terry

45 minutes ago, Malakite said:

Cheers!

No worries about the questions! 

You ordered the 'with bumper' option which only has one screw hole on the plate as that design compensates for the two mounts of the bumper that take up the other holes. When you put the second plate on (with three holes) over the top it sits neatly on top. 

1 hour ago, mheald said:

No worries about the questions! 

You ordered the 'with bumper' option which only has one screw hole on the plate as that design compensates for the two mounts of the bumper that take up the other holes. When you put the second plate on (with three holes) over the top it sits neatly on top. 

ahhhhh so it does!!  I now need a new bumper however lol...well I just need one piece off the tree... the piece that these plates will screw onto - that in turn - clips on to the bumper...E6 I believe it is....do you guys think I will need to purchase a whole E parts tree?