mheald

Monster beetle gearbox mod - parts now in production!

6 hours ago, mheald said:

Clicking? Really? ****. Is this on a new gearbox, as in a re-re or is this on an original gearbox with existing mileage on it? I'm guessing and also hoping the latter as you mentioned the pinion was already worn. I can't see how the gears could push this mod open as its clamped down hard with 6mm's of ABS plastic. 

Regarding the threadlock, always worth adding but mine has held tight with the lock nuts and its been on since the release of the re-re MB. Hmmm.

Please let me know.

It's an original, I rebuilt the gearbox and fitted the mod to it at the same time, that said I didn't replace the pinion or the white plastic cups that go into the side plates.  It's possible they wore and are now allowing the gears to slip.  I won't really know until I get a chance to strip it down next week.  Also as I running it on the beach it could just be full of sand lol

Excellent work!

please can I have a set for my re-released monster beetle please?

i will do a separate intro as well

Thanks in advance 

JJ

A wee update I got a chance to have a look at my issue tonight.  The plastic motor plate has cracked causing the pinion to not mesh correctly.  With the motor cover removed and the motor bolted back in place, when you turn the wheels the noise is very evident in the area of the pinion.  So sure am I that this is the problem I have ordered the bits and not bothered stripping the gearbox

On 8/23/2016 at 9:50 PM, Pumesta said:

A wee update I got a chance to have a look at my issue tonight.  The plastic motor plate has cracked causing the pinion to not mesh correctly.  With the motor cover removed and the motor bolted back in place, when you turn the wheels the noise is very evident in the area of the pinion.  So sure am I that this is the problem I have ordered the bits and not bothered stripping the gearbox

Hi guys - mine too is clicking still, BUT not a patch on what it was.... wonder how much new gear set is? Any ideas?  Also, although I had updated my steering servo saver to the Tamiya upgrade - it keeps popping off the servo..so I am not sure whether I should be using a longer screw, or locktite or something..any ideas/suggestions??..

the clicking seems to be that when under load, the bevelled gears push each other apart and thus don't engage as well and slip (because the walls of the gear box/diff are also pushed apart.

all i did with those gears i linked to is go to model sport and search by the beetle parts

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-monster-beetle-2015/rc-car-products/394780

JJ

51 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

the clicking seems to be that when under load, the bevelled gears push each other apart and thus don't engage as well and slip (because the walls of the gear box/diff are also pushed apart.

all i did with those gears i linked to is go to model sport and search by the beetle parts

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-monster-beetle-2015/rc-car-products/394780

JJ

Your mod set is in the post and should be there tomorrow with any luck. Sorry again for the delay, work is owning me right now!

arrived today - superb :)

quick guide...

really simple little mod

remove both rear suspension units at the chassis (put the screw and washer back into the chassis to keep safe)

remove the 3 screws each side that hold the rear swing arm in place

totally remove both rear swing arms including drive shafts (inc rubber covers) and gearbox joints (BB16 and 17)

then unscrew the 3 bolts from around the gearbox/diff  housing 

6B47A4DE-D038-43C0-9ABC-493649D4650D.jpg

then offer up the 2 strengthening rings with just 1 tab - they will only go 1 way

D0025464-9B86-482A-A9F8-7EAD2E870C0E.jpg

not..

93D46A78-36D2-40CC-99C7-C4B5D81D70C2.jpg

then you can offer up the 2nd set of strengthening rings with the 3 tabs

2A5B419D-B119-4257-9498-38B4F5FD6058.jpg

(you can see here why the washer needs to fit where it does behind the first ring's tab)

At the bottom the space is where the rear bumper on the beetle fits

washer in place

53DDC178-CA8F-473E-8EC9-79FC43B3839C.jpg

and all first bolt and washers and nut in place

CEB7923F-D9AF-44C8-85A9-C597001E1C53.jpg

when reattaching the rear bumper, as there is no OEM washer between the bumper and the gearbox/diff so i placed the kkit washer between the 2nd strengthening ring and the bumper

B06F29C2-E759-4611-B691-A8A41BBF58A0.jpg

here it is fitted and the new sports tuned 540 fitted

A3DECBC5-D266-4B2D-A555-7D41CA1F32DA.jpg

Hope that helps/gives confidence to others

Ta

JJ

• Like 4

Fantastic, glad it arrived safely.

Thanks for doing the step by step build guide, I probably should have done that myself earlier ;)

Here's to a stronger gearbox!!!!

• Like 1

no probs - i run a car forum and people can be put off doing even the simplest things if they can't see how its done

i even do guides for changing wiper blades as to some it seems complicated

JJ

On 9/3/2016 at 6:19 PM, Problemchild said:

no probs - i run a car forum and people can be put off doing even the simplest things if they can't see how its done

i even do guides for changing wiper blades as to some it seems complicated

JJ

I could have done with that guide a couple of weeks ago lol ;)

aw - sorry ;)

i feel guides are important to encourage people to try and once they do they will try more off their own back and start to think outside of the box and maybe come up with their own fab solution

power to the people!!

JJ

Hey guys, sorry for the radio silence. This summer has been madness and I've been working 16hr days since late July. I'm going to get back to everyone awaiting a reply this week.

thanks for your patience!

• Like 2

Any word on this yet? My gearbox is clicking like mad now and I really need one of these kits :)

Tried to send a PM, but it keeps saying unable to send as this member is not able to receive messages?

Thanks

James

:)

I finally got a chance to run my Blackfoot last week, and it had no issues at all. I couldn't drive it before because the gearbox would grind as soon as I touched the throttle. I don't know if Mheald is still making these, but if you don't want to mess around with a ball diff from MIP, this is a great option.