mheald

Monster beetle gearbox mod - parts now in production!

It arrived well by international mail.

Thank you for the great mod and the effort.

7 hours ago, Malakite said:

ahhhhh so it does!!  I now need a new bumper however lol...well I just need one piece off the tree... the piece that these plates will screw onto - that in turn - clips on to the bumper...E6 I believe it is....do you guys think I will need to purchase a whole E parts tree?

I will preface this by saying I've never owned an MB, nor have I every played with the MB E-Parts...

From what I have seen on EBheyz and such, the E-6 Part (the skid-plate to which the bumper E-3 attaches) breaks at the points where they attach to the Tranny.

For my own Frog, I wanted to add a MB rear bumper (before the re-re), but decided to dig up NOS Team CRP parts to accomplish the same.  IMO, it was worth the wait and expense...  

Once I get these MHeald Tranny Brace things installed on my Frog, I'll post pix...

Terry

13 hours ago, Malakite said:

ahhhhh so it does!!  I now need a new bumper however lol...well I just need one piece off the tree... the piece that these plates will screw onto - that in turn - clips on to the bumper...E6 I believe it is....do you guys think I will need to purchase a whole E parts tree?

Well you have two options, you can go for the full tree and get a nice new fresh bumper or if you like, you could go without a bumper and I send you out the two inner plates you need to use the mod without a bumper. As you've already got all the screws and the other plates I could send these two out for £6. Its entirely up to you. I'd personally get the bumper though as its nice to know that the backend is safe!

1 hour ago, mheald said:

Well you have two options, you can go for the full tree and get a nice new fresh bumper or if you like, you could go without a bumper and I send you out the two inner plates you need to use the mod without a bumper. As you've already got all the screws and the other plates I could send these two out for £6. Its entirely up to you. I'd personally get the bumper though as its nice to know that the backend is safe!

Thanks mate - yup Im going for the bumper look - as you say - it finishes it off nicely!  I have ordered the E parts tree :-)

Total success fitting this Mod onto my Tranny, which has the CRP skid plate and CRP rear bumper.

I had to add some washers to get the spacing correct, and I just happened to have a bunch lying around that were a perfect match for the ones supplied by MHeald.

I'm running a Thorp Tranny, with Traxxas drive-shafts, and Robinson Axles.  I don't really need this Mod, but it looks cool, so I'll keep it on the Jumper... 

Thanks Mike, for the custom part.  It fits perfectly around the CRP parts, and once I figured out the washer count, your Mod fits like it was meant to be there...  Great engineering - very simple, very effective, very cool looking.  As Frank Lloyd Wright would say:  "Form following function".

Brilliant!  Thank you very much!!!

Terry

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/005460622-.html#1

ETA:

1 - Fitted on port side...

2 - Before

3 - After

4 - After (again)

5 - From the bottom - port side - you can see I had to use 3 washer between the Mod part and the CRP skid plate to get it to fit right

6 - From the bottom - starboard side - again, 3 washers

ETA 2:

After the fact, I added 2 more washers.  1 each, on both sides, between the top of the CRP rear bumper metal brace and the Mod part.  The bumper had some wiggle and that took care of it...

Hi all.  This mod is the best and looks as though it was always supposed to be there.  Has anyone tried it with a powerful motor yet?  

Thanks mheald.

I have a Technigold coming, gonna put it into my Frog. 

It's pretty modded but the gearbox is standard inside, Ball raced of course.

Will keep you posted.

G.

Glad to hear that people's kits are arriving around the globe and that they are being well received again. So happy that everyone likes the mod so much! I did go the extra mile to make sure it looked pretty as well as performed well.

According to Fusion Hobbies here in the UK the Blackfoot hits our shores on Wednesday and may even be in store and shipped out by Friday (but more likely next week), so I'm glad that I've kept myself a mod set to one side for this beauty.

Oh, there's still a few left for anyone still interested!

Thanks everyone.

On 4. August 2016 at 4:50 AM, Frog Jumper said:

Total success fitting this Mod onto my Tranny, which has the CRP skid plate and CRP rear bumper.

I had to add some washers to get the spacing correct, and I just happened to have a bunch lying around that were a perfect match for the ones supplied by MHeald.

I'm running a Thorp Tranny, with Traxxas drive-shafts, and Robinson Axles.  I don't really need this Mod, but it looks cool, so I'll keep it on the Jumper... 

Thanks Mike, for the custom part.  It fits perfectly around the CRP parts, and once I figured out the washer count, your Mod fits like it was meant to be there...  Great engineering - very simple, very effective, very cool looking.  As Frank Lloyd Wright would say:  "Form following function".

Brilliant!  Thank you very much!!!

Terry

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/005460622-.html#1

ETA:

1 - Fitted on port side...

2 - Before

3 - After

4 - After (again)

5 - From the bottom - port side - you can see I had to use 3 washer between the Mod part and the CRP skid plate to get it to fit right

6 - From the bottom - starboard side - again, 3 washers

ETA 2:

After the fact, I added 2 more washers.  1 each, on both sides, between the top of the CRP rear bumper metal brace and the Mod part.  The bumper had some wiggle and that took care of it...

do you have any photos from the gearbox + mods? i am quite exited to see how it looks like...

52 minutes ago, Dangerseeker said:

do you have any photos from the gearbox + mods? i am quite exited to see how it looks like...

Try the JPEG bay link in my post...  Let me know if it doesn't work for you...

Terry

2 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Try the JPEG bay link in my post...  Let me know if it doesn't work for you...

Terry

link worked, thanks! the mod look awsome. i am going to mount a rear stabilizer (you-g), hope it fits, too.

42 minutes ago, Dangerseeker said:

link worked, thanks! the mod look awsome. i am going to mount a rear stabilizer (you-g), hope it fits, too.

I asked Mike Heald to make me a custom inside plate which does not have any screw tabs.  Its round, with only the notch for the tranny tab at the drive cups...  You might have to ask for a special order yourself???  I bought a standard "with bumper" set at first to try the fit, then had to ask Mike for a special order...  I should have taken a pix of the special part before I mounted it...

Terry

12 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I asked Mike Heald to make me a custom inside plate which does not have any screw tabs.  Its round, with only the notch for the tranny tab at the drive cups...  You might have to ask for a special order yourself???  I bought a standard "with bumper" set at first to try the fit, then had to ask Mike for a special order...  I should have taken a pix of the special part before I mounted it...

Terry

i see, thank you for the info. i will check if things can be done with a dremel tool. i just have to remove  one screw tab...

On 8/1/2016 at 7:53 PM, mheald said:

No worries about the questions! 

You ordered the 'with bumper' option which only has one screw hole on the plate as that design compensates for the two mounts of the bumper that take up the other holes. When you put the second plate on (with three holes) over the top it sits neatly on top. 

Right - so after receiving my new bumper (at long last!!) I have gone to fit it, ad the bolts don't go all the way through?  Have I got shorter bolts when I should have had longer ones from you? Sorry to be a pain I cannot work it out lol...Can you let me know what one of the three holes that the plate with one hole goes into?  With the bumper - it means that I have three spacers on one bolt and only one on the other three - thats cannot be right? Sorry!

21 hours ago, Malakite said:

Right - so after receiving my new bumper (at long last!!) I have gone to fit it, ad the bolts don't go all the way through?  Have I got shorter bolts when I should have had longer ones from you? Sorry to be a pain I cannot work it out lol...Can you let me know what one of the three holes that the plate with one hole goes into?  With the bumper - it means that I have three spacers on one bolt and only one on the other three - thats cannot be right? Sorry!

You're not having a lot of luck with this geabox are you ;)

Ok, so the screws I send out are technically too long by a couple of mm, but they are the best fit available. So as far as them being too short...I have to admit that I'm lost in regards to how you're trying to put it together.

There is only one way that the first plate can go on (the one with 1 screw hole) as it matches up with the shape of the gearbox, plus the bumper takes up the bottom two screw holes so there is only one screw hole left and that is the hole that goes with the one screw hole in the first plate.

Please see the very first post in this topic to see how it all goes together. A picture speaks a 1000 words ;)

MB-01.JPG

3 hours ago, mheald said:

You're not having a lot of luck with this geabox are you ;)

Ok, so the screws I send out are technically too long by a couple of mm, but they are the best fit available. So as far as them being too short...I have to admit that I'm lost in regards to how you're trying to put it together.

There is only one way that the first plate can go on (the one with 1 screw hole) as it matches up with the shape of the gearbox, plus the bumper takes up the bottom two screw holes so there is only one screw hole left and that is the hole that goes with the one screw hole in the first plate.

Please see the very first post in this topic to see how it all goes together. A picture speaks a 1000 words ;)

MB-01.JPG

right - done!  Should we be tightening this pretty darn hard??  Presume we should be so that the gears do not click/come slightly apart at high speeds/under pressure - but will this make the gears too tight at all??... Finally - I have snapped one of the loops (muppet!!) but think it will be ok as luckily its on one of the ones wit 3 holes!! DOH!!! ;-)

On 19/05/2016 at 10:24 AM, lee1980 said:

Excellent thanks for sorting and getting these done.  Will these more than likely cure any gearbox/drive shaft issues?

Or am I still best off getting the other drive shafts mentioned in other thread?

Snapped? Ouch, I'm guessing you tightened these up VERY tight and possibly didn't use the outer washers? Having the outer washers allows you to tighten this up super tight without putting too much direct pressure on the screw hole. One golden rule of RC, hand tighten to a point where you're nipping it up, never tighten to a point where you have to put any serious effort in.

This mod can't over pressurise your gearbox either as the screw pressure is directed into the screw holes of the gear casing so its actually impossible to put additional pressure on the gears themselves. You're simply stopping the gears flailing out and forcing the thin metal casing push outward. 

Regarding the driveshafts, I thought you'd already bought those?

36 minutes ago, mheald said:

Snapped? Ouch, I'm guessing you tightened these up VERY tight and possibly didn't use the outer washers? Having the outer washers allows you to tighten this up super tight without putting too much direct pressure on the screw hole. One golden rule of RC, hand tighten to a point where you're nipping it up, never tighten to a point where you have to put any serious effort in.

This mod can't over pressurise your gearbox either as the screw pressure is directed into the screw holes of the gear casing so its actually impossible to put additional pressure on the gears themselves. You're simply stopping the gears flailing out and forcing the thin metal casing push outward. 

Regarding the driveshafts, I thought you'd already bought those?

Driveshafts -  I have - you have quoted someone else there ;-) 

Re: snapped loop - It happened when I pulled the plate back up over the bolts to position around the other way grrrr!

12 hours ago, Malakite said:

Driveshafts -  I have - you have quoted someone else there ;-) 

Re: snapped loop - It happened when I pulled the plate back up over the bolts to position around the other way grrrr!

I'm going insane obviously lol, I could have sworn I read something about driveshafts...I'll put this down to working night and day for 4 weeks ;)

1 hour ago, mheald said:

I'm going insane obviously lol, I could have sworn I read something about driveshafts...I'll put this down to working night and day for 4 weeks ;)

haha bless you mate!

Might be worth putting a bit of threadlock on the nuts too.  I noticed the gearbox has started to make the dreaded clicking noise in reverse. I tried tightening the nuts and I must have got 3 or 4 more turns on them, and I am sure they were fully done up when I originally fitted them. That said 'i haven't stripped the box down yet only popped the motor out to have peek and the pinion has seen better days so it could just be that

18 hours ago, Pumesta said:

Might be worth putting a bit of threadlock on the nuts too.  I noticed the gearbox has started to make the dreaded clicking noise in reverse. I tried tightening the nuts and I must have got 3 or 4 more turns on them, and I am sure they were fully done up when I originally fitted them. That said 'i haven't stripped the box down yet only popped the motor out to have peek and the pinion has seen better days so it could just be that

Clicking? Really? ****. Is this on a new gearbox, as in a re-re or is this on an original gearbox with existing mileage on it? I'm guessing and also hoping the latter as you mentioned the pinion was already worn. I can't see how the gears could push this mod open as its clamped down hard with 6mm's of ABS plastic. 

Regarding the threadlock, always worth adding but mine has held tight with the lock nuts and its been on since the release of the re-re MB. Hmmm.

Please let me know.