XV Pilot

A different ff-02 build

Those are the very ones, yes!

Swap addresses via PM?

• Like 1

And thus a deal was struck! Posts for posts. :)

• Like 2

Posts arrived in the post today!

Thanks Mr Scarecrow!

• Like 1

With the front posts trimmed and mounted, the shell can go on:

DSC06112_zpsnk2kmpxw.jpg

DSC06117_zpsur3tulqw.jpg

I know not won't be to everyone's tastes, but I really like how it looks with the Fiat shell. Wide, rugged and slightly bonkers, with plenty of ground clearance under a rounded shell with a happy "face", it puts me in mind of some of the more extreme Baja conversions I admired in my Beetle-modding days.

• Like 4

Looks good from here! It might benefit from some ostentatious stickers and/or a brightly-coloured shell, though ;) 

• Like 1

That looks pretty cool.  Do you think you might post a running video of it?  I'd love to see how it performs on loose dirt.

I am very interested to see how it performs on dirt too. It isn't quite a runner yet though - the receiver is still on backorder, and I have yet to install the servo and ESC. I'll certainly try to make a video of it once it is finished! :)

• Like 1

Not only is the receiver on backorder with Muddlesport - it is also on backorder with their suppliers apparently. I guess I won't be seeing it anytime soon...

I don't like the "robbing Peter to pay Paul" approach to modelling, nicking parts from a finished model to complete another, but sometimes impatience gets the better of me, as it has done in this case. With the weather looking good and the park looking inviting, I doubt I'll be using my drift car for a few weeks at least, so I have "borrowed" its receiver to get the Trophy Fiat running.

Here is the chassis with all its gear on board. 

DSC06132_zpsg2fufozt.jpg

I am quite pleased with my solution to switch mounting, far more secure than the double-sided tape suggested in the manual. I don't know why I never thought of it before!

The front posts are a bit short in stock form, so a TL-01 post extender is employed for a bit more height:

DSC06134_zpsvd2gge2g.jpg

Took it for a short test run in the street earlier - very pleased with its performance! Video will follow shortly.

In the mean time, here is a "recipe" of parts required should anyone else want to build one like it:

1 x FF-01 or M-03 donor car

1 x 13485068 U-shaped shaft 

2 x 10005688 C-parts sprues (TL-01B suspension arms)

1 x 10445572 uprights (2 come on the 1 sprue)

2 x 12500023 threaded shafts (optional - you could use the fixed length tierods on the suspension sprues)

1 x 51283 reinforced adjuster (optional as above)

1 x 19805551 dogbones (2 in a pack)

1 x 53056 metal hexes (4 in a pack, optional but recommended especially in colder climates)

1 x 51238 M-03M F-parts (for the medium wheelbase chassis extenders, not required if the donor car was a M-03M)

1 x 50793 M-03 C-parts sprues (2 in a pack, for the body posts, not required if the donor car was a M-03)

A pair of pieces for extending body posts - can't remember what sprue they came on but it was part of the Stadium Raider kit.

Wheels, tyres, shell and electrics to taste.

54604 body mount extenders would also work in place of the mystery pieces I used.

Did you choose that location because there was a 1:1 Fiat parked right there?  It seems to motivate quite nicely and you even got a little bit of drift/slide action going on.  Nice!

• Like 1

That`s ace,it looks very sure footed,i wonder how long it will take to eat those front tyres? what with all the wheelspin :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Effigy3 said:

Did you choose that location because there was a 1:1 Fiat parked right there?  It seems to motivate quite nicely and you even got a little bit of drift/slide action going on.  Nice!

Not so much the location as the time - I waited until our neighbours' car was parked up in its usual spot. :) I am quite pleased that it slides rather than rolling - makes for a fun drive and hopefully a long-lasting shell.

6 hours ago, twisty said:

That`s ace,it looks very sure footed,i wonder how long it will take to eat those front tyres? what with all the wheelspin :) 

The tyres are CC-01 "hockey pucks" that have a reputation for being virtually wear-proof, so I think they will last well. I am pleasantly surprised by how easily it lights up the tyres considering how tall the gearing is -the Torque Tuned motor is certainly living up to its name!

• Like 1

I finally had an opportunity to take the little Fiat to the park earlier today.

At first I was running Super Grippers on Stadium Raider wheels. However I found them a bit too grippy. With the Super Grippers installed, the combination of short wheelbase, forwards weight distribution and good brakes resulted in GF-01-style forward rolls when braking hard - not too good for the bodyshell. I was running on grass so no damage was done, but I think I prefer the CC-01 "hockey puck" BFGs as they don't result in this behaviour.

I popped the hockey pucks back on for the rest of the run, and had a great time with the car. The combination of light weight and relatively undemanding motor give excellent performance and runtime - it was darting around my wife and I as we walked all the way around Hartsholme Lake, and still had enough charge left to scamper around on the open grassy area near the carpark for a while. And that was on an inexpensive 3000mAh NiMH!

The Torque Tuned motor is quite impressive for a glorified silver can, able to be geared ridiculously tall without overheating or bogging down. I am running what are effectively buggy-size wheels on a gearbox designed around 60Ds, and still lighting up the tyres. Not bad at all!

Cute!

I do wish it were yellow though....

You have inspired me for a future Fiat-based project. Perhaps that one will be yellow.

• Like 1

I kinda wish it was yellow too. The blue and black shell was one I had painted up previously, before seeing the picture that inspired this build. If I were to start with a fresh shell, it would be yellow for sure. 

And here's another version of the video, manually edited this time without all the silly effects:

• Like 2