Scotty-08

TT-02R first build

So here we go my first tamiya build let's hope it all goes smoothly. 

Firstly this is the kit I will be building. 

image.jpg

After quickly making a table to rest on my lap I began. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

so far so good seems straight forward enough. 

• Like 1

Thanks I have more to upload but it's only letting me do two pictures at a time and I keep getting stopped to do other things. 

image.jpg

i was unsure how much of this grease I should put in here so I put a little blob so I can add more if needed. image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

After getting both the diffs in I noticed the little logo for the tube of grease so had to open it up and put it together again.

I appreciate how a kit like the TT-02R can be made for simple assembly yet decent performance. Keep up the good work!

You're doing great.  The TT-02 is a perfect first kit too.  And look at all the blue bling! 

Regarding the AW grease in the gear box, all you need to use is just a little on the teeth.  Any excess will simply get flung off from centrifugal force.  If you over do it, you'll end up with the grease splashed on the inside of the gear case.

So my first issue I have come across is after getting the lower arms on and the dog bones in I gave them a spin only to have it feel really clunky. I'm not too sure where it's coming from, if I spin both diffs individually they seem fine I have stripped it all down and nothing looks out if the ordinary. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

So that was my progress for last night. 

Next in the book are the shocks which I'm not really looking forward too but I'm sure I can get through it.

I'm glad I went with a build yourself kit rather than a RTR. 

I'm sure that once I've finished it I will be able to dismantle it with no issues which will help with installing new parts if I haven't spent money on a new kit by then.  

• Like 3

Find something to hold the shocks as you build them. Holes in an old box will do.

if you do this you can build all 4 at once and leave them long enough for the air to rise out the oil.

Scotty, maybe this video will help some:

Three things I have found over the last year to be invaluable in building shocks are:

Team Associated "Green Slime" or equivalent.  You use this on the o-rings, crush spacers between the o-rings, shock shaft or anywhere else you want some lubrication.  I used to just soak the o-rings in some shock oil before building but Green Slime will coat the o-rings and protect them from absorbing the shock oil over time.  If the o-rings swell up from taking on oil, they'll stiffen or become "sticky" from the excess friction the fatter o-rings are exerting on the shock shaft.

Shock stand.  I saw this on in a build thread that Nobbi did and decided the "box with holes" approach I had used for so many years wasn't worth the hassle.  I ended up with a Duratrax shock stand but that was a bit of a waste.  The thing is great for building shocks, don't get me wrong but that's all it does.  I now know that there are plenty of car stands which also incorporate a shock stand into them!  So while I ended up buying a Duratrax pit stand as well, I could have gone with something like this Pro-Line car stand.  2 birds - 1 stone.  Either way I think you'll eventually want both (or a combo jobber).

Shock shaft pliers.  I got tired of accidentally scoring my shock shafts so I bought a pair of Team Associated shock shaft pliers.  They make building shocks so much easier!  I can't even tell you.

The exact brands of this gear isn't really that important.  I just showed you what I happen to have purchased based on cost and availability.  You'll be doing yourself a favor if you invest in some of this gear.  Not only will your builds and repairs be easier and to a higher standard, but they'll be a lot more fun!

• Like 1