Truck Norris

84431 - 1/10 R/C Porsche 934 Jägermeister TA02-SW Limited Edition 40 Years

The UPS dropped a lovely gift at the door today. 

4CE8586B-F9C2-43B0-B16B-E51F90C5E32B_zps

I'm happy in that I'll get to paint a few of these bodies. I've had lots of ideas for paint jobs but I just couldn't bring myself to tear into my 30th anniversary 934 kit.  However as some have stated, it's kind of underwhelming. It's a parts bin raid that brings together some nice pieces. It's definitely not the level of the 30th anniversary kit but then again it's 1/3 the price. 

Here are some pics of the kit contents

EDFB493B-4A80-48FD-ADE4-3F57FBB92F26_zps

1889FEF9-1601-4C9B-BE03-0824F38A7206_zps

FA78DA08-A990-4509-B831-2B87E55AA024_zps

623483AA-222D-45D2-BD75-F5552FC47B3E_zps

Hmm, not even being able to pre-order one is making me anxious. I did see one on eBay but they wanted US$100 shipping just to get it across the Pacific which is ridiculous (Tamico will ship from Europe, twice the distance, for less than half the price).

So I purchased a Hi Lift Hilux. :rolleyes: I've wanted a Hi Lift for a while though and the price was right.

Does the Porsche come full set of bearings? I'm still committed to two if/when I can get my hands on them.

4 hours ago, djmcnz said:

Does the Porsche come full set of bearings? I'm still committed to two if/when I can get my hands on them.

Yes, it comes with a set of bearings and a TLU-01 light set. 

I wonder how many Tower has allocated and if they actually put out of stock if they run out of allocation.  I'm guessing you guys ordered way earlier than I did.

I go mine yesterday too from Tower.  I ordered it shortly after it was announced by Tamiya and appeared on the Tower site.

I suspect these will be more available than the 30th anniv. but it may be good to just pre-order from Tower and see if they get more.  

I remember I pre-ordered the 30th anniv. from Tower but the order was never filled.  i had to wait a few years and finally picked one up on ebay (actually less than they were originally going for) after the hype wore off.

Shodog, I haven't opened mine yet so would you mind posting a pic of the decals?  Are they just upscaled from the ones that came with the GT-01s?

Thanks

Got mine... One thing that makes me scratch my head is the absence of the adjustable upper arms. That seems to me to be a given once you include the carbon shock towers. I know... where would it stop though. The new TRF black shocks would be pretty sweet too. It does appear the body fits right on a TA02SW chassis though. No alterations needed. Also nice to see that the body comes w/o holes.

OK. Looked at it a bit closer. Not sure how to get the body to sit correct with the wheel base. I tried flipping TA02 arms forward. This is not practical as now the rear toe-in becomes toe-out...Also the forward angle is too sharp on the axles. No way this will work on a running car. Next issue..how to mount the shocks to the arms now that they are a approx 10mm forward of their original locations. Solution? I think the best option (Theoretical at this point) is to trim off some of the rear portion of the  lower control arms mounting boss on the rear gear case, This would allow you to use the correct TA01 arms by moving them forward by approx 5-7mm and then take up the extra space with some small spacers on the forward section of the mounting boss. Make sense? Pics are worth a thousand words but it's late and posting photos with doodles on them is not my strong suit. It would put a higher angle on the  drive shafts but the shocks should be doable.   Why can't we ever just leave our cars also and run them stock!

• Like 1

Yay, just ordered my first one, rcjaz confirmed they had limited quantities in stock 10 mins ago and I punched the button. GBP165/USD215 so not sure if that's good or not but it was good enough for me.

I'll decide about a second once I've received the first, if I got two at the same time I'd have to pay import duties on top (at least 15%) and I didn't need that.

Happy now.

Now available at Modellbau-Seidel without electronics for international delivery for only 164,99 €

• Like 1

That's awesome of Seidel to offer it like that. I've plenty of motors and several LED sets so this suits me perfectly and saves about £20 too. Just ordered.

As mentioned, I'll use the chassis for my GT2, the stickers for an orange 934 I already have painted and then keep the body as a spare.

Number 2 came yesterday. For a brief second I thought how cool it would be to make a #24 and #25 box art car. But that's not how I roll.756B03EC-DC93-4DB6-AD2E-B0C3BB66271E_zps

As for the decal, It's been several years since I built my jäger 935 Tamtech. So I can't tell you whether it's a straight upscale of the decal.  Window trims look similar. 

3963A65B-9979-439E-A726-526F894BF401_zps

9 hours ago, salvine said:

Solution? I think the best option (Theoretical at this point) is to trim off some of the rear portion of the  lower control arms mounting boss on the rear gear case, This would allow you to use the correct TA01 arms by moving them forward by approx 5-7mm and then take up the extra space with some small spacers on the forward section of the mounting boss. Make sense?

Like Blackhole Sun did to make his 210mm wheelbase M04 (HPI Stratos):

Front-lower-arms2.jpg

http://www.blackholesun.fr/fr/15-fr/mes-modeles/piste/m-chassis/163-tamiya-m-04-lancia-stratos-hf-rallye-monte-carlo-1977?start=1

Just ordered mine from Tower as it showed in stock. Thanks to my earlier Arrma Nero purchase and Gold member status, got it shipped for $132.88. The question is, do I still have Stella send me the one I preordered with them? This is the first time Tower has receive stock faster than Stella that I can remember.  

20 hours ago, salvine said:

OK. Looked at it a bit closer. Not sure how to get the body to sit correct with the wheel base. I tried flipping TA02 arms forward. This is not practical as now the rear toe-in becomes toe-out...Also the forward angle is too sharp on the axles. No way this will work on a running car. Next issue..how to mount the shocks to the arms now that they are a approx 10mm forward of their original locations. Solution? I think the best option (Theoretical at this point) is to trim off some of the rear portion of the  lower control arms mounting boss on the rear gear case, This would allow you to use the correct TA01 arms by moving them forward by approx 5-7mm and then take up the extra space with some small spacers on the forward section of the mounting boss. Make sense? Pics are worth a thousand words but it's late and posting photos with doodles on them is not my strong suit. It would put a higher angle on the  drive shafts but the shocks should be doable.   Why can't we ever just leave our cars also and run them stock!

Are you sure you're not placing the TA01 rear arms the opposite way? I don't mean to be upfront but just a quick though based on what you're explaining. The Rear arms facing the motor should be at 180 degree (flat), this gives the 236mm wheelbase you're looking for. Also there is a matching pair of rear upper control arms for the ta01 rear arms too. Be sure you're using those as well. 

41 minutes ago, Theibault said:

Just ordered mine from Tower as it showed in stock. Thanks to my earlier Arrma Nero purchase and Gold member status, got it shipped for $132.88. The question is, do I still have Stella send me the one I preordered with them? This is the first time Tower has receive stock faster than Stella that I can remember.  

Awesome deal!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcod13 said:

Are you sure you're not placing the TA01 rear arms the opposite way? I don't mean to be upfront but just a quick though based on what you're explaining. The Rear arms facing the motor should be at 180 degree (flat), this gives the 236mm wheelbase you're looking for. Also there is a matching pair of rear upper control arms for the ta01 rear arms too. Be sure you're using those as well. 

We are trying to achieve a 230mm wheel base for this Porsche. The GT2 body is 236mm. 01 arms won't get us there. Reversing 02 arms was just a wild guess. The newer TA05 chassis can be modded to get to 230 but the TA02/01 looks like it will take more creativity. Good call on the upper arms. Forgot about those. They have more of a bend in them to make the reach. I generally replace these with adjustable arms anyway.

So are you saying you can't get it to look like this if you simply build to the instructions?

84431Porsche.jpg

1 hour ago, djmcnz said:

So are you saying you can't get it to look like this if you simply build to the instructions?

header_84431_01.jpg

That's what I wanna know, I haven't seen a built one here yet to confirm why it needs these "mods"

3 hours ago, djmcnz said:

84431Porsche.jpg

Based on the manual it looks like you should be able to. The parts used are the same for the GT2 body (see attachment). From what I understand on tamiya'a site, the body from it 84431 has the larger wheelbase (same as the GT2) than the body from 49400. Evidenced by these photos of a new built 84431 (see attachment). Note that the height of the front of the body still needs to be adjusted properly and was done so purposely in the photo.  But it is clear to see it has a wheelbase of 236mm and you can def achieve the look of the box art photo. 

IMG_4631.PNG

IMG_4632.JPG

I don't think the body has been lengthened. I'm pretty sure the body is the same as the 49400 as it has 2006 molded into it.  I've been working so much I haven't had a chance to build mine and I kinda want to wait till I get a set of silver gear cases I ordered. 

Guys, I have had no interest in this until I have started seeing the kits turn up. 

Is this turning into one of those must haves, even if to stay boxed on the shelf? I'm normally a truck and rally man but this just looks so epic.

1 hour ago, Shodog said:

I don't think the body has been lengthened. I'm pretty sure the body is the same as the 49400 as it has 2006 molded into it.  I've been working so much I haven't had a chance to build mine and I kinda want to wait till I get a set of silver gear cases I ordered. 

I noticed that date stamp too when you posted the picture Shodog. But based on the photo of the built 84431 and the manuals build it does indeed look like it is the larger 236mm wheelbase. I guess the best way to know for sure is to wait and see until a few more people build their kits. Shodog what is the wheel base centre to centre of your 84431 body?

Edit: Also i noticed the 49400 manual and the 84431 manual both list different part numbers for the body (shells alone) - not sure if that means anything, now this is a strange case we have here!