Truck Norris

84431 - 1/10 R/C Porsche 934 Jägermeister TA02-SW Limited Edition 40 Years

My guess is the updated part number merely indicates an update to the mould to add the post hole dimples for the new chassis. The 49400 uses the TA-05 mountings which are further forward at the front and further up the rear window at the back.

I have a few unpainted 49400 shells so I'll be able to confirm this when my 84431kit arrives next week.

12 hours ago, marcod13 said:

Based on the manual it looks like you should be able to. The parts used are the same for the GT2 body (see attachment). From what I understand on tamiya'a site, the body from it 84431 has the larger wheelbase (same as the GT2) than the body from 49400. Evidenced by these photos of a new built 84431 (see attachment). Note that the height of the front of the body still needs to be adjusted properly and was done so purposely in the photo.  But it is clear to see it has a wheelbase of 236mm and you can def achieve the look of the box art photo. 

IMG_4631.PNG

IMG_4632.JPG

This picture right there shows the front wheels not centered in the wheel arches. The factory photo is a 3/4 shot so its not possible to see clearly. It's well known that this body has a 330mm wheel base and the GT2 has 336. I put this 934 body over my GT2 Chassis  and could see that while it "fits" it's not centered for those of us that are a bit anal when it comes to scale. Pretty sure there is a workable solution but it would be nice to be able to build it correct right out of the box.

4 hours ago, salvine said:

..........and could see that while it "fits" it;s not centered for those of us that are a bit **** when it comes to scale.

Aren't we all?:huh::P

Bodies appear to be the same wheel base as their most likely from the same mold.  49400 on right and 84431 on left

ACFCB9CB-9B54-43A8-AC58-F52C2315AB3F_zps

Both are stamped with 49400 and 2006 but the new release has a #1 impression stamped into it. 

C8781BDE-2878-4914-A9CE-BC6B407CEC32_zps

They added more rear body post dimples to the 84431.  The 49400 mounts are in the middle of the rear window

2650B34A-6C86-4D26-890D-80D33DFC1C3C_zps

It definitely favors the front edge of the front wheel well. 

85A52CA6-EEE2-442C-9DDF-9B4F59B7EE74_zps

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Shodog said:

Thanks for the side-by-side, any info on those wheels and nuts? They're sweet.

9 hours ago, salvine said:

This picture right there shows the front wheels not centered in the wheel arches. The factory photo is a 3/4 shot so its not possible to see clearly. It's well known that this body has a 330mm wheel base and the GT2 has 336. I put this 934 body over my GT2 Chassis  and could see that while it "fits" it's not centered for those of us that are a bit anal when it comes to scale. Pretty sure there is a workable solution but it would be nice to be able to build it correct right out of the box.

I agree, the built one isn't perfect. One may be able to get it to look perfect if the front wheels a cocked a little and that might be good enough for me. Otherwise I'll actually be quite disappointed.

jagermeister-porsche-934-moritz-racing-title.jpg

4 hours ago, Shodog said:

Bodies appear to be the same wheel base as their most likely from the same mold.  49400 on right and 84431 on left

Both are stamped with 49400 and 2006 but the new release has a #1 impression stamped into it. 

C8781BDE-2878-4914-A9CE-BC6B407CEC32_zps

They added more rear body post dimples to the 84431.  The 49400 mounts are in the middle of the rear window

2650B34A-6C86-4D26-890D-80D33DFC1C3C_zps

It definitely favors the front edge of the front wheel well. 

Great photos, thanks for looking into Shodog. I guess this means let the mods begin!

i wonder if it's possible to help achieve a more centered front wheel if the body is "raked". Sitting higher in the rear and lower in the front. Might also help to literally drop the front shocks as low as possible but yes I can see it is def a bit too short. Dang it Tamiya!

Have to admit to being disapointed so far by the apparent "bitsa" approach. 230mm onto 237mm was always going to be a bit out. 

The promo shots from the front 3/4 hide the compromise Tamiya appear to have made.

Not good enough, especially for a special anniversary release.

• Like 1

They could have fixed this wheelbase issue but cutting the upper and lower chassis plates and making a new center shaft 7mm shorter.  Then silk screen special 40th anniversary markings to make it special. 

I got a little bit done on my chassis by assembling the gear cases. Not loving all the plastic and I'm already looking for some aluminum bits. 

071F1A2D-8627-4262-A2E4-F34C3EC6EA26_zps

• Like 1

Yeah I agree it's not really so "special" as someone think it would be. I wonder if using m chassis sized tires and wheels would help the wheelbase problem ? Only issue is you'd need wide m chassis rear wheels to help fill in that wide rear tread. Just thinking out loud.

Are the gear boxes grey at least in the 84431 kit? Or did Tamiya skimp there as well on this "special" release lol

Gearboxes are black. I'm using a set of grey ones but the rear one is still coming on its way from across the pond. 

I don't think they skimped on the kit.  There are a lot of nice pieces in the kit that pack is a lot of punch for the ~$250 price.  6 months ago just one of shock towers could fetch $50+. Of course Tamiya could've made it nicer but it would also have increased the price. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if any suppliers do a more scale 1/10th replica of the BBS R50 wheels on the real car? I suppose SSR Mesh drift rims would be closest?

I've been experimenting with this - the stock wheels look OK but even better with a lick of gold paint on the centres. I have since fitted some other rims which look great, if a little less on the "period correct" side - but I've failed to take any pictures so I'll grab one in the morning. 

DSC_0714.jpg

Also, look at that *perfect* 230mm wheelbase :P

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I've been experimenting with this - the stock wheels look OK but even better with a lick of gold paint on the centres. I have since fitted some other rims which look great, if a little less on the "period correct" side - but I've failed to take any pictures so I'll grab one in the morning. 

DSC_0714.jpg

Also, look at that *perfect* 230mm wheelbase :P

Looks fantastic !! ... what is the fix to get the ideal 230mm wheelbase :P

11 hours ago, Shodog said:

Gearboxes are black. I'm using a set of grey ones but the rear one is still coming on its way from across the pond. 

I don't think they skimped on the kit.  There are a lot of nice pieces in the kit that pack is a lot of punch for the ~$250 price.  6 months ago just one of shock towers could fetch $50+. Of course Tamiya could've made it nicer but it would also have increased the price. 

While I do agree with what you're saying. I still feel the kit just doesn't live up to the 30th anni. version. I know that being more expensive is never a good thing, but that being said, it's a mark of celebrating the 40th anniversary for the RC portion of the brand. I don't think most collectors would mind spending just a bit more cash, on a more polished up kit. In the end it's no big  deal really considering I love tinkering around with a TA02 as much as the next person, just my 2 cents.

They included bearings but no stainless steel suspension shafts (hinge pins)? It's is an odd mix, I might have to use a combination of this kit + my 58157 TA02 Special Racing Chassis to make it "proper".

I do have fancy carbon chassis plates NIP to use... I'm tempted, can I resist!?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

They included bearings but no stainless steel suspension shafts (hinge pins)? It's is an odd mix, I might have to use a combination of this kit + my 58157 TA02 Special Racing Chassis to make it "proper".

I do have fancy carbon chassis plates NIP to use... I'm tempted, can I resist!?

My bag of tricks is pretty big for this chassis too. Do I build it? I have about five other TA02/01 chassis already as well as those carbon plates nib....It's hard to resist this kit for all the goodies it included and the crazy prices for the hop ups on eBay.

2 hours ago, salvine said:

It's hard to resist this kit for all the goodies it included and the crazy prices for the hop ups on eBay.

Agreed. Considering you get a complete FRP chassis set and alu motor mount which could be used with any TA02 this kit is a bargain when you consider the prices of vintage Hop-Ups.

But if it's let down by a poorly fitting body then I'm not sure how many of my Hop-Up I'll throw at it considering that I already have A TA-02SW with every period Hop-Up available...

TaisanHopUp-01.jpg

• Like 1

My 230mm wheelbase is a bit of an oddity - it's actually an F103GT with custom designed chassis plates. 

I'd love to get my hands on one of these kits just to CAD the chassis plates and find that 6mm for them to be re-made in CF,  it's no stretch of the imagination then to make a custom CF propshaft and then hey presto - proper wheelbase.

I have no moneys though!

18 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

My 230mm wheelbase is a bit of an oddity - it's actually an F103GT with custom designed chassis plates. 

I'd love to get my hands on one of these kits just to CAD the chassis plates and find that 6mm for them to be re-made in CF,  it's no stretch of the imagination then to make a custom CF propshaft and then hey presto - proper wheelbase.

I have no moneys though!

I believe I have a set of unneeded FRP plates in storage that I can send you once I put my hands on them. But that's probably a matter of weeks rather than days.

I'd be keen to explore the options including finding a suitable length that accommodated an off-the-shelf drive(prop)shaft.

18 hours ago, redzone said:

Does anyone know if any suppliers do a more scale 1/10th replica of the BBS R50 wheels on the real car? I suppose SSR Mesh drift rims would be closest?

I plan on using a set of these BBS wheels that I used on my RSR

AAC367D6-034F-472E-8E60-C1CCD58DDB21_zps

• Like 1

Finally got some pictures. These are MST 2-piece rims which look a bit more like the originals (well more than the kit-supplied ones do) albeit the diameter looks a bit big. The other downside is that you lose the big fat rear tyres with this setup, so I'm undecided! 

AC696E2B-A41B-4E6C-87F1-C7FD2CE79537.jpg

4EF04053-1FD8-4F5A-8D5D-D80E5782BFAB.jpg

I'm really digging this chassis and I like the look of the BBS wheels  I also used a vintage set of 53155 low friction dampers.

18EF3F35-AE5C-472E-97EA-FD1A7BA29CD3_zps

D88A44A1-1A76-4C36-884D-F35FFEFCD3B1_zps

• Like 1

That looked better than I expected now that I've returned my pre-order :(

I even have a set of the same 53155 dampers too ..

• Like 1