Truck Norris

84431 - 1/10 R/C Porsche 934 Jägermeister TA02-SW Limited Edition 40 Years

tamiya-84431.jpg

tamiya-84431-box.jpg

2016 marks the 40th anniversary of the release of the Vaillant-liveried Tamiya Porsche 934 (Item 58001). It was the first ever Tamiya R/C car model and one which would kick off a major worldwide trend that still continues to this day. This kit is part of the celebrations of that anniversary, and recreates the 934 in distinctive Jägermeister livery. This highly detailed body runs on the short wheelbase and wide stance TA02SW chassis. The kit includes a plethora of option parts to make this a very special release.

The TA-02SW exhibits a short-wheelbase and has a wide track to accommodate the scale form of the real sports car. It normally features a tub chassis with 4-wheel, fully independent suspension coupled with a rear ball differential and a front gear type differential. This special edition is fitted with a double deck FRP chassis for increased rigidity.

Option Parts Included
Item 53142 Aluminum Motor Mount
Item 53166 FRP Chassis Set
Item 53194 FRP Rear Damper Stay
Item 54608 CC-01 Assembly Universal Shafts
Item 53152 Hard Propeller Shaft
Item 53193 FRP Front Damper Stay
Item 53806 Ball Diff Cup Joint for Universal Shaft

Features
The 934 is recreated stunningly in durable polycarbonate, with separate side mirror and wing parts. Separate light cases are also included.
Comes with an LED light unit to light up headlights and taillights for the ultimate realistic appearance.
The TA02SW chassis was previously used on the 911 GT2 Racing (Items 58172, 84399 and 47321). It offers a short (236mm) wheelbase and wide tread setup; similar to that so often employed by Porsche.
This kit uses the FRP chassis set, which transforms the chassis into a double deck unit using rigid and lightweight FRP material parts.
FRP front and rear damper stays ensure optimum performance from the CVA oil damper-fitted 4-wheel double wishbone suspension.
The stainless steel propeller shaft is highly durable and offers efficient transmission of power.
Includes front and rear assembly universal shafts, which come with ball diff cup joints.
Enclosed front and rear gear cases have built-in diff gears. The rear is fitted with a ball differential.
Comes with 2-piece wheels, tires and inner sponges. The rear of the model uses wide wheels.
Full ball bearings included.

Specifications
1/10 scale R/C model assembly kit
Length: 435mm
Width: 202mm
Height: 130mm

Source: http://tamiyablog.com/2016/06/tamiya-celebrates-40-years-of-rc-cars-with-commemorative-84431-110-rc-porsche-934-jagermeister-ta02-sw-limited-edition/

• Like 3

My thoughts - seems a bit lazy, there's nothing new here, just bits from other kits cobbled together. The only thing that stopped you from building your own before was the Jägermeister stickers in 1/10th scale.

The wheels are the BBS LM type so about 20 years too new for the car. Also the wheelbase at 236mm is longer than the 49400 934's 230mm so either that's a typo or it will sit not quite right.

Still, FRP chassis though so it's a definite buy!

• Like 1

Ta for posting it. While it might not be anything new, the combination is very exciting to me. It is a shame about the wheels, but they do look good :lol:

The FRP chassis is enough to get me excited......

I personally think its a good re-release.  

I had no expectation of Tamiya creating the correct wheels for such a small run model.  The FRP chassis and the universals are more than I expected.

So glad I'm on Stella's reserve list :D

2 hours ago, Truck Norris said:

Also the wheelbase at 236mm is longer than the 49400 934's 230mm so either that's a typo or it will sit not quite right.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Unless they have slightly re-sized the bodyshell (highly unlikely) or managed to tweak 6mm off the chassis (again unlikely) I can only imagine that it will indeed be a little bit off.

Think I may stick with my hard-body only policy and focus on getting my 1/12 static 935 body onto the GT01 chassis.

Am tempted to get this anyway just for the FRP chassis set though and slap a Lancia 037 body on it.

I'm making direct comparisons with the 30th Anniversary 49400 934 where we got a new body, new wheels and a new chassis too, all presented beautifully in the box. 

Given how much effort went into that this just seems like a bit of a parts bin special. It's missing the Dunlop and Shell logos too :(

I'll still get one though, but put my GT2 bodies on it and stick with the 230mm TA-05MS for my 934s.

• Like 1

Maybe hop ups will be rereleased 😊

sven

1 hour ago, Truck Norris said:

I'm making direct comparisons with the 30th Anniversary 49400 934 where we got a new body, new wheels and a new chassis too, all presented beautifully in the box. 

Given how much effort went into that this just seems like a bit of a parts bin special. It's missing the Dunlop and Shell logos too :(

I'll still get one though, but put my GT2 bodies on it and stick with the 230mm TA-05MS for my 934s.

Very true, I'm just glad its not sat on a plastic bath tub chassis with dogbones

decal placement on the rear wheelarch is a bit too low on Mr.Ts built example too (boxart about right)..

jagermeister-porsche-934-moritz-racing-t

• Like 1

looks like RRP is US $349, but already a few online sites quoting $210-$230.

Bodes well :D

1 hour ago, Truck Norris said:

If you make comparison with 49400, it would be fair enough to mention also that this one is almost 4times cheaper than the 30anni was. And 84431 even comes with LED's. I'd call this almost a bargain:)

Yawn...

The FRP is the only good thing about it - a hop-up part that was sought-after. Nothing new here at all! As said before, the wheels look completely wrong even compared to the boxart - 49400 would've looked better?!

I've never been a big fan of the TA02 - much more a collector of all things TA03 instead. So my wallet is safe with this one!

I'll definitely get two kits.  I've got a 30th anniversary kit that I couldn't bring myself to build and I've been saving up parts, fuchs from the RSR and a spare 30th shell to do a nice Rothmans 934.  This kit will make it easier for me do plus spare body kits will cheaper. 

I really like the look of this. It would look great sat on the shelf next to my Impreza. But ive just bought a Madbull so im out of RC funds.

just read this again and see it comes with the frp chassis set,nice.

how much is this going to affect original hop parts I wonder?

sven

12 hours ago, Percymon said:

So glad I'm on Stella's reserve list :D

Did they confirm to you that you are on the list? I emailed them but have heard nothing back.

Although this is a nice release I also agree with some of the comments above that it is a bit "meh" compared to what could/should have been done for the 40th anniversary. A full re-release of 58001 would have been so much better, but the fact they haven't done so pretty much confirms that the truly archaic stuff has little chance of making a return. Maybe they will change their mind by the time the 50th anniversary comes around. :rolleyes:

This will hopefully come in from Stella for around the £140/£150 mark, delivered.

It's been a damp squib so far this year, considering that they have such an important milestone to commemorate. However I am encouraged by the descriptive text for this release, where they say that it is "part of the celebrations". Hopefully that means something more pulse quickening than this one will be announced before the end of the year.

Anyway, this is THE orange Porsche to have this year.

917e730c70fcd23b7846af05c0f04f39_zpsa6sk

a518c5295aab1e0e8183dbdbd22a4181_zpsbxln

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Did they confirm to you that you are on the list? I

they say that it is "part of the celebrations". Hopefully that means something more pulse quickening than this one will be announced before the end of the year.

Yes I had confirmation - my email went in about 2 minutes after it hit Tamiyablog news lol!

I'm too hopeful on the basis of that extract of text, but it might just mean the staff are also having a party with free cakes

• Like 1

Just now, Percymon said:

I'm too hopeful on the basis of that extract of text, but it might just mean the staff are also having a party with free cakes

:P

36 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Anyway, this is THE orange Porsche to have this year.

917e730c70fcd23b7846af05c0f04f39_zpsa6sk

a518c5295aab1e0e8183dbdbd22a4181_zpsbxln

Mines packed in the suitcase - going home from Berlin tomorrow (:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flerbizky said:

Mines packed in the suitcase - going home from Berlin tomorrow (:

Lucky guy. I guess you got it from the Lego store? It sold out within minutes across the board yesteday and now won't return until August 1st when the mainstream sellers get them.

20 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Lucky guy. I guess you got it from the Lego store? It sold out within minutes across the board yesteday and now won't return until August 1st when the mainstream sellers get them.

There's a small issue with the manual apparently. If built as the manual says, it shifts 1-3-2-4 - and not 1-2-3-4 - easy fix, but a mistake still. So they're not sold out, but waiting for new manuals! So I got one with a broken manual (: