Sign in to follow this  
Fuijo

King Tiger turret rotation problems

I dug out my Tamiya King Tiger the other day after it had been packed away and then forgotten for a while. Looking over it I remembered

that it hadn't been the smoothest of builds, and it had taken quite some time to get everything working together. Most of the problems

were to do with adding parts from other manufacturers, but the most annoying, and the one that took the longest to solve was

the turret rotation issue.

I read up a bit on it on the internet and came across many different things to try. Some of them to be fair, did help a bit, but never

really solved it. After much head scratching and several pints of beer I came up with a solution to this problem with my tank.

What seems to me to be happening is that the turret ring actually has no structural support at all. The turret half of the ring is pushed

up into the turret, warping the turret base, and the hull-side half of the ring is bowing down into the hull, warping the hull.

To solve this I added a styrene bulkhead just in front of the turret rotation mech in the upper hull, and the same thing

inside the turret, just aft of the mounting screw for the turret ring. Et voila! Problem solved, well, once I'd tidied up the wiring as well......

P1000859_zps6roeraub.jpg

P1000860_zpsjxz7tjyy.jpg

• Like 2