SpZero

Help what have I bought (Blazing Blazer for £30.00)

Okay before any serious work this morning a quick look on ebay, no harm in that....

Oh look!! this looks good, a vintage tamiya 3 speed, quick buy it before anyone else, its only £30.00......

Oh dear it's trashed......

I know ask for help on TC, any one.. any one at all?

But seriously where do I start....

$_57.JPG

• Like 3

I would start with a careful strip, a clean, and give all the gearbox and axle parts a really good look over as I think the re-re axles are different, if they are all good, then I'd look at what other parts are needed to get it running again.

I've seen better examples...looks like a money pit to try and restore.

I would split it up for parts and try to get my £30 back...and put it towards a better one.

you give in too easy,good starter project,,there lots to save and re-spray,,what are you going to do with it? restore to orginal or make it into a runner

• Like 1

If you strip and clean it then in time with ebay sales you'd see more than your money back - depends whether you see any point in spending 2-3 hours stripping it all down and another 3-5 hours cleaning and polishing !

No ,no, no. Don't clean it or polish it. Go for the 'rat' look. Bin the electrics and put a modern ESC in it, dismantle the gearbox and axles check the mechanical condition. If it's ok, shove a shell on it and some cheap radio gear and run it till the tires drop off. Cheapest blazing blazer runner ever ! :)

• Like 5

21 hours ago, MadInventor said:

No ,no, no. Don't clean it or polish it. Go for the 'rat' look. Bin the electrics and put a modern ESC in it, dismantle the gearbox and axles check the mechanical condition. If it's ok, shove a shell on it and some cheap radio gear and run it till the tires drop off. Cheapest blazing blazer runner ever ! :)

Now that is a fantastic Idea, a quick clear lacquer to seal in the rust and stop it getting any worse and run her as intended, I never liked the blazer (forgive me blazer fans) so I will go down another route maybe a custom styrene body, if there are any real problems with it I think I may have to sell her on in bits, But I would like to keep her just keep it away from the wife for a while, would she notice just one more in the back room.....

Hopefully the seller will post it quickly

Perfect project for a rotten / rat look Blazer. :) IF the wheels are still turning and the tires won't perish away on the first signs of movement.

Oh I'm sure at least one tyre has had it and Im sure I will be drilling / dremeling some bolts and nuts thankfully i have plenty of tool including a bench grinder with polishing wheel 

The only tool which helps here is a press and a bin!<_<

Looks like the perfect starting point for a custom scaler project to me.  Leafs, axles, chassis and gearbox are pretty much all you want anyway - if you can custom-make the rest or afford generic parts then you're onto a winner.  Even if you junked everything else, you'd struggle to get a bare chassis like that for similar money, but I'll bet the gearbox and axles will be fine if they were properly greased before it was submerged for 20 years in a salt bath.

(that said, there's a very interesting camber situation going on with that front axle - could be a split case...)

I'd noticed that camber angle, and thought it could caused by the condition of the tyre and the photo angle, and just had a thought, could do it up like the good old top gear hilux if the camber angle is caused by the axle, tho custom "damaging" a hilux abs body to match could be a real challenge, and not something I'd personally be keen to attempt, but it would be cool to see.

For heaven's sake DON'T SELL IT!

As much as it looks sad and beat up, that Blazing Blazer has TONS of potential. If it was mine I know I'd make you guys smile with little work. ;)

Simply dismantle each and every part of it and use some rust remover product. The polishing wheel you said you have will sure come handy afterwards.

Here's something you could use:

41zYTDX02oL._SY445_.jpg

After removing the rust from parts, then do a little polish and then rebuild it, and use lil grease on moving parts. Add some bearings in place and as last step dismantle the gearbox. Believe me, it is NOT a hard task!

And of course, if you think you don't want to go through the trouble of, I know I'd be happy to triple your money for that diamond in the rough that you have there! ;)

Best of luck with the project. And don't forget to share some pictures of it as you go working on it. :)

• Like 1

I have taxed worse lol.  I would almost bet if you hooked a battery to that it will run

• Like 1

what else could you of bought for 30 quid,ideal starter for one-off hybrid,crawler,pick up,what i can see is alot of cleaning and new/second hand tyres/servos/esc

ive seen same condition go for 100/150 fews years ago,,u should feel lucky for 30 nuggets

It looks fantastic, my vote is for the rat look, as some say Overhaulin the drive tranny, change electronics, new tires (you could weather them) and a rat look body of your own choice(weathered) 

Looks like a dream project in my eyes :) 

Thought about this a bit more, and had another idea. I think I'd draw a line up the centre from front to back, and clean and polish 1 to perfection, and then leave the other side as is. Make it a 'before and after' car.

It depends what you want from it. It's a waste of money from a restoration perspective, but if you have a bit of spare time and give it a polish up with a wire wheel on a dremel and can spring for some rc4wd tyres and a polycarbonate shell you can make a cheap scale runner.

Personally that is what I would do... strip it, spend some time polishing it up, chuck an esc and some nice servos in it, replace the tyres and find a cheap suitable body for it. Done! And better than any other chassis you can get for £30.

• Like 1

Well the Blazer arrived, she was very rusty and had seen better days but it was okay for £30.40 delivered, one tyre was split the others okay for very light running just..

I stripped her down and gave everything a quick clean, the good news is that there is nothing seriously wrong with this thing, (it wouldn't shift gears at first but now it's all opened up the internals are fine and can not see anything to cause problems once it's re assembled), I had to drill out a few nuts and chop a few bolts off so many are unusable but if I rebuild I would get a stainless hex head screw set and new bearings the only parts broken that I think are going to be hard to get are the U bolts for the axles all four of them had bolts welded in by rust and all four snapped on at least one end if not both.

So I now have a box of parts most look much better all I have done is wash and wipe down with a cloth the various parts many look too nice allready to do a rat look so may clean up a bit more or just get to building new linkage rods would be beneficial as well but think I can use what is here..

.DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

• Like 3

Okay I'm trying to find a bearing kit the only one I can see is a kit with 7 bearings all of the same size, however there are loads of bearings to replace any one know a good source I have a few spares but not all the sizes or quantities I need the (bruiser has 45/46 bearings I know its not the same but similar chassis would that kit be a good starting point or does someone know where I can get a complete kit?

Also any good screw kits.

Thanks In Advance