Sign in to follow this  
Mad Ax

Painting plated parts

I figured this was best here since it's mostly big rigs that this applies to and the rig builders on TC must have come across this before :)

I have to paint part of a chrome plated part.  That is, the chrome plated light housing also has a little grille section on it which needs to be painted black.  For little detail parts like this I usually brush-paint directly onto the plastic, but will I be able to brush paint onto a chrome part?  My experience with Tamiya X-pots is that it won't stick to the chrome at all.  I can try to remove the plating as best I can with some abrasive but as it's a small part I'm worried about going over and putting scratches where I don't want scratches.

I'm getting to the end of my first rig build but the amount of painting of tiny little parts is slowing my build right down and really testing my painting skills :P 

The grille bits next to the headlights? Yup you need to sand it off or the semi gloss black will rub off,  especially on the raised sections. Mask the rest of the headlight off so you don't accidentally mark the bits you want left chrome.

I tend to use a knife like a scalpel type one I have a hobby set so plenty to choose from.

Just take your time and scrape the chrome of away from what you want to leave.

This is how I always remove chrome plating 

• Like 1

Thanks for the infos.  After a long weekend of spraying and masking and spraying again, this is now officially the last part of the TGX that needs to be painted before I can do the final assembly.  (I hope.  I keep on finding miscellaneous parts that need painting, usually as I'm right about to fit them).

I'll try to mask and prep these parts tonight ready for paint tomorrow AM.  I just hope the dregs of my very last tin of TS-29 hold out enough to do these tiny parts, I've got through more tins of spray on this build than on any other.  It seems to be worth it tho, even the wife said "wow" when she saw the half-assembled shell on the workbench last night :D

Would love to see some pictures when it's ready! :D

I hear you on the paint, I painted the cab, chassis and trailer chassis of my scania in TS-49 and I lost count but it was somewhere between 15-20 cans :blink: (then there is the primer, clear and flat clear!)

Well I laid on the final shot of paint this morning - some Tamiya fine grey primer follows by the last dregs of my TS-29.  Only a couple more steps to go and this rig is done!

I'm a bit disappointed in the paint job - I used Halfords brand Vauxhall Arden Blue for the cab, it's the same colour my wife had her Mini painted in and I also painted Project Ringpull in the same colour for our wedding.  The first can came out amazing on the main cab and side panels, I used two more cans on all the smaller parts, the roof and the spoiler but somewhere down the line the paint mix seems to have changed and the colours don't quite match.  I know it won't really show once the truck is on the floor at the club layout but it's still a bit of a shame.  Then again, painting has never been my strong point - I don't have the patience for it!  I prepped the surface with 2500 before painting, washed and dried everything thoroughly, then did quick shoots of primer (Halfords Grey Plastic Primer) followed by the main colour without any sanding in between, and I haven't used a clear coat on top.  I've had some horrible experiences using clear coat from a rattle can so these days, once the colour is on and looking good, that's how it stays.

I'm hoping I'll have time to get all the lights wired up and take myself to a truck meet this Saturday, so I'll get a few pics there :)

• Like 1