GooneyBird

CC01 49490 Pajero built by an on-road racer

Radshape have a car trailer as one of their upcoming releases...

I'm actually looking at the Xtraspeed trailer they have here on RC-Mart. It's well within budget, comes with lights already installed, and it looks quite good! I'm curious if it might be a bit on the large side, but then again car trailer in real life can be quite large too. 

Guys, I made a thing from scratch! :D

I wanted to make a tow bar mount, and when looking online I saw many 1:1 scale trucks equipped with a receiver for a tow hitch instead of having the whole assembly bolted to the chassis. For me this worked far better, as I don't have a trailer yet (soon!), and I'll probably end up having a few trailers, all with different coupler heights. 

While at my job I was near one of the largest Tamiya shops in the area. Or at least, they were, the owner said that there was 0 profit to be had in RC kits, so he resorted to selling RTRs, boats and many plastic kits. I picked up a resistor for my wife's sewing machine, along with some brass tubing and stock.

Now I've never soldered brass together, but I figured there's a first time for everything, right? I mocked up a design in cardboard, and set to work.

A few hours of faffing around later:
image.jpeg

It's not pretty.... But it feels sturdy enough, and when it's installed you can barely tell it's there anyway. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Of course I I had to hide it a bit, so out came the primer and the off-brand flat black. Right now the paint is curing, tomorrow I'll install it and show you some more pics.

image.jpeg

(And yes, it looks WAY better when painted :) )

• Like 6

*Blows dust off of thread*

Right, more than one year later, and this car is still kicking around! Out of all the cars in my collection I think this accumulates miles the quickest, as I take this thing around on a good (2+ hour) walk just about every other week. 

Since then I've changed a few things, starting with a 3rd-channel on/off switch for the lights. I've stuffed all that in the receiver box in the rear...
IMG_0804.jpg
... so it's getting a bit crowded in there!

Also, I've replaced the rather fake-looking rear tire cover with an actual rear wheel, using an adapter from Shapeways.
IMG_1235.jpg

It doesn't really help with an already ***-heavy CC01, but it certainly looks the part! @chevelle sold me the rear wheel, it's an almost exact copy of the Tamiya wheel and tire under the Pajero, but made from surprisingly tough plastic instead of rubber. Doesn't matter, it still looks great! (Also, it not having a lot of grip might help should it ever get caught on something while offroading)

After a year of being drug through the worst of what nature has to offer around here didn't help much for the state of the printed license plates. A quick trip to the 1:10th scale Japanese Department of Scale Motor Vehicles later, and I got new plates. 

IMG_1997.jpg

Still registered in Shizuoka, but with a different (and more correct) combination. Also, these I covered in clear packing tape before cutting them out. See if that helps a bit with their waterproof-ness. I guess we'll find out in a year's time! :D

I also changed out the rear suspension with Junfac's excellent 4-link kit. While it's not directly visible it does help with the amount of flex the car has. I'll take some pics tonight. I made a set of lift blocks for the rear shocks, as the shock eyelets included with Junfac's kit are a bit shorter than Tamiya's, lowering the rear. I've lifted the rear up using 5mm blocks, and the car sits nice and level again.

As promised, a picture of the underside. The Junfac kit comes with a metal skid plate covering the transmission bump. This actually lowers the ride height a bit, but should help with twigs and other muck getting hung up on that bit of the chassis. Also, less wandering rear axle means more sure-footedness, which is always a good thing. :)

IMG_2060.jpg

• Like 1

Well, that project was on the table for at least 6 months...

image.png.640cd911e8d330087cfd3e50cba3325d.png

image.png.e98fd08391e49ffb7c0400982fcc16b0.png

image.png.52d5cfb6d64e9c277bfdd93de2747d5b.png

Pro-tip for anyone doing this at home; do NOT do this after you've completely finished the body. There's nothing more nerve-wrecking than drilling a bunch of holes, then Dremel'ing them out, followed by a bunch of filing to get the lenses to fit on an already painted body shell.

And a shot of the front, to prove it's actually completely lit up:

image.png.46d5cea9e06b4ccaeebb8803ee90370d.png

• Like 5

So do I still use this thing? Yes, I certainly do!

IMG-20200325-134817322.jpg

We've recently 'discovered' a bunch of new trails in our nearby forest, and we've been taking full advantage of it. It's a good mix of what you see above combined with sandy trails, and the occasional climbing over tree roots and such. 

A full walk is usually about 2+ hours, and I bring along 2 3000mAh NiMH batteries. One lasts for about an hour and a half, and then I swap to the other which lasts me the rest of the walk. Afterwards, the car is just a bit dusty:

IMG-20200520-145141951.jpg

IMG-20200520-145152088.jpg

IMG-20200520-155300107.jpg

Of course this is easily cleaned off. So; things I've changed over the years from stock:
- Steel pinion
- New gear set as the fine sand ruined the old gear set over time
- Junfac 4-link set. This alone made SO MUCH difference in the car!
- New chassis. Not because I broke the old one, but a battery exploded during a run and melt it.
- Tie-wrap around the stock servo saver. Low-budget way to make sure the saver doesn't snap and leave me stranded.
- Different tires. I hate their looks, but love the performance. Torn!

• Like 3

And just to prove I still am using it, even though its parking spot is now shared with a TRX4, I broke some stuff on it. xD

The last time I took it out, I went to a crawler course. Of course, this car is a little undersized for it, but I figured it'd be fine. It was...

IMG-0261.jpg

IMG-0263.jpg

...right until it slid down a hill, nearly T-boned an SCX10 parked at the bottom, and the left wheel caught a rock and went to full lock without the servo moving. Ouch. It was still drivable, but something got wonky in the steering setup after that. 

The following conversation happened inside my head:
The internet: This aftermarket part is of bad quality and underbuilt for its task. It will break if you use your RC car for any kind of crawling or heavy off-roading. 
Me: Pfff, I’ve had this part in my RC car for three years and I’ve used it to walk many miles of trails. Those guys must be doing some pretty extreme off-roading with them. 
Also me: Hey, let’s try this new crawler track with my pretty unsuitable and undersized RC car. I’ll be careful, what could go wrong?
Part that the internet said would break under these conditions: *Breaks*
Ugh.

New parts were ordered, but because someone went all Tokyo Drift near Egypt, took quite a while to arrive. However, the Yeah Racing steering set soon showed up, and was promptly brought over to the workbench.

IMG-0405.jpg

It's a really nice kit. Also, I ordered it in black. Ah well...

If you compare both steering shafts (black being the old one) it's quite apparent why it broke. The little square nub that grabs the bottom arm is easily half the depth on the GPM set compared to the YR set. In the crash it stripped out the hole, causing massive play in the steering and making the little CC nearly undrivable.

IMG-0407.jpg

IMG-0408.jpg

Shiny parts, dusty chassis.

Installation went off without a hitch. The parts fit well, and work well too. It's nice to have adjustable turnbuckles on the steering arms now, meaning I can set toe a little more easily. There's a bit of play in the system, but I assume it's the servo saver. I'm still running the stock Tamiya servo saver, al be it tightened up using the zip-tie trick.

Now the main question remains. What do I do with it? It's a great car, but its usage has been completely replaced with the TRX4, and while I could think of a few projects to make use of it, none would result in a useful, fun vehicle. Selling it is an option, but how much interest would there be in a high-mileage (but well-maintained) Pajero? Granted, I could buy some other fun stuff from the profits of it....

• Like 3

Brilliant stuff!  Love the humor of your writing as well.  "All Tokyo Drift near Egypt"  ROFL!

I'm still rocking the stock CC steering arms on mine because I haven't seen a good review of any hop-up options.  Anything anyone seemed pleased with was all home built, self engineered stuff. 

I'm in the same boat at you with my Bronco.  While I thoroughly enjoyed my CC-01 on the walking trails when I lived in TX, where we use our trucks now in ME the CC-01 is too small to tackle the terrain.  My sons SCX10 is bone stock and does so much better of a job.  I have heaps of cash into my CC so I don't want to sell it but really it's gathering more dust on my shelf than from the trails at this point.

• Like 2

@Effigy3: the YR set feels solid enough, and from the stock setup pretty much anything is an improvement. The GPM set was fine, right up until the point where it snapped because I kinda overstressed it. I'm willing to bet the stock setup would have failed under the same conditions.

Speaking of selling stuff, it's now FOR SALE. Should anyone like this to the point of wanting to own it, now's your chance!