Sign in to follow this  
Dojo Dave

Why must I have another one?

So I have recently sold 2 of  the cars from my collection, my amazing dust collector the magical Ranger xlt and a new in box 84399 porsche gt2, from 31 to 29 yay. And now I buy a used and abused blitzer beetle that I intend to restore, why do we do this. Is it just me or are the rest of you guys the same, looks cheap  gotta have it?

Dave 

• Like 2

Doesn't have to be cheap for me to want it, but it helps.....

• Like 1

For me it's the "I want" factor :D As Adults when we buy our first childhood dream cars, we get a rush of endorphin & a need to repeat. After getting our main dream cars which was our original drive, Now we use any reasoning to get the buzz :D

I'm currently selling more cars, not only to reduce "I want" "Impulse" numbers, but to buy completion parts for my others. It takes so much energy not to buy random cars I see while looking parts & I don't always stop myself, but hey I can ;)

I got the bug again in March this year, i was down to one buggy (a Sand Viper), plus 3 in South Africa...a browse around on ebay, and I am back up to 11 now...and bidding on 2 more!

I keep saying I am going to sell a few, but it never happens....

My view is :

If it says Tamiya - Buy it,

if not, write Tamiya on it,

then Buy it!!!

:lol:

• Like 3

I keep telling myself that I've got too many cars, they've become a serious stress, the last two weeks I have done almost nothing but build my MAN TGX and work on my 1:1 camper van, everything else that I love to do has slipped, all the other RC projects have been shelved and I'm basically really stressed because a) I want the TGX finished in time for a truck meet this weekend and 2) I haven't got space to do anything anywhere because my studio is overflowing with miscellaneous TGX parts and various manuals.

Once the truck meet is over, I'm away on holiday and won't be taking any Tamiyas.  And as soon as I'm back from holiday, I'll be getting my runners fixed and sorted ready for the Iconic Revival at the end of July.  And after that I'll be building my DT03 for the DT03 Challenge.  Plus I still have my camper to finish so that I can potentially actually go camping in it before summer is over.  So I'm really, really not free of time.

Plus, my studio shelves are now overflowing - there are cars where I never intended to put cars, I have new shelf brackets that I don't have time to fit - that's the only way I'll get cars up off the floor, the printer, the workbench, etc...

However, I closed off my personal accounts for May at the weekend and realised that I finished in the green despite spending a fortune on RC parts and camper parts.  So now I figure I can justify yet another Tamiya.

I don't know why I feel I can justify this, because I don't have time to build NIBs, I don't have the mental capacity to start more projects or restorations, I don't have the enthusiasm to finish what I've got...  I just want the buzz of hitting BIN, the buzz of watching the parcel tracking website, the buzz of hearing the doorbell ring and the buzz of opening the box.  And then the disappointment of knowing all the buzz is gone and I won't get it unless I hit BIN on another big fancy Tamiya box or another basket-case with half the bits missing and the other half broken beyond repair.

Oh well :P 

• Like 1

For me this is an easy one to explain: I love the build process!

And since most Tamiya plastics don't appreciate repeated disassembly and reassembly, if I am to indulge my passion for building Tamiyas without damage to my fleet, it has to be through the acquisition of another model.

Luckily I get almost as much enjoyment out of building for others as I do from building for myself, so friends and relations have been receiving RCs for birthdays and Christmases - I haven't had to find space to store them all at home.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas for the responses,  im pleased but not surprised that I'm not the only one with the Tamiya bug. Otherwise we would be here right!

I just finished watching 4 seasons of POI and now feel the draw back to my laboratory,  mwahaha ! The Blitzer I have coming will be a new twistfor me and I think I may treat myself to a rere hotshotbefore summer is up. Although fathers day is this sunday......... Temptations,  temptation.  Oh what to do. I still have a couple of cars I should rehome but thirty is such a nice round number. I have 3 original WW, I would happily part with one for a cr01 or cc01 Landcruiser NIB. But honestly those are the models I crave next. Its got to be interesting now the TT-01 is easy the hornet and mad bull,  I can do in my sleep. I need the buzz of a challenging build. Perhaps the Ta07 pro maybe my next new one. I'll share when it happens you can be sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XV Pilot said:

Luckily I get almost as much enjoyment out of building for others as I do from building for myself, so friends and relations have been receiving RCs for birthdays and Christmases - I haven't had to find space to store them all at home.

I've considered this before, but not sure how well it would go down with the recipients :D

Many years ago I bought a used M03 with an unpainted Mini Cooper Racing shell for my wife's birthday present, so she could paint it up just like her 1:1 Mini and have something to run when we go out playing.  But for some reason she painted it with a white roof (which hers doesn't have and she insisted she didn't want on her 1:1), and added some random pink tear decals from a Baja King.

When we moved house I handed it to her so she could put it in her display cabinet along with all her vast hoard of other stuff, she said "why would I want that?  It's crap!"

It stayed on the shelf in my studio for 18 months and recently got boxed away into the garage along with a load of other cars that aren't fitting my display right now.

That is a really sad story. It makes me feel sorry for both you and the poor unloved little Mini. Does it want a new home?

• Like 2

Mad Ax needs to visit the sales forum for us scavengers to keep collecting. 

I just received my 84424 M05V2 R. What did I do afterwards? pre-ordered the 40th Anniversary Porsche TA02SW.. 

Rinse and repeat.

I mentioned to my wife that I had started this thread and after I read some of your replies she chuckled and with a big smile said so what do you want for Father's day! Oh how I love my wife..... she knows exactly how to get to my heart, and its not with a sharp knife between the 4th and 5th ribs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dojo Dave said:

so what do you want for Father's day!

Despite dropping all kinds of hints to parents and wife for years, I've never had an RC-related gift.  One Christmas my parents and wife clubbed together to get me £80 worth of vouchers for a local hobby shop that didn't stock a lot (I used it to buy an Ansmann Mad Rat which I raced once before replacing it with a B4.1 Worlds), and when I left my last job the team had a whip-round and got me £100 worth of vouchers for Tower Hobbies - I was totally stunned at that.  In fact I think I should change jobs more often to increase the size of my collection :D

My wife and I usually tell each other we're going to have a "cheap Christmas" and not buy loads of presents, then Christmas day comes and she'll have got me dozens of tiny little things which probably add up to as much as an expensive present.  But any request for an RC-related gift is always met with a mix of "that's too expensive" and "you have too many of those already." ;)

I am very fortunate in that most of the cars in my fleet have been birthday, Christmas or anniversary gifts from my wonderful wife. :D

• Like 2

On 13/06/2016 at 6:07 AM, Dojo Dave said:

So I have recently sold 2 of  the cars from my collection, my amazing dust collector the magical Ranger xlt and a new in box 84399 porsche gt2, from 31 to 29 yay. And now I buy a used and abused blitzer beetle that I intend to restore, why do we do this. Is it just me or are the rest of you guys the same, looks cheap  gotta have it?

Dave 

Back in the day I had one rc car to race at a time which was the hotshot then boomerang and so on! Loved every Friday night me and my cousin down to the local school hall with like minded people:wub:, long story short life goes on to my present day I started a few years ago to collect tamiya probably the time tamiya started the re-re's I was collecting everything even stuff i didn't care much for (thundershot) Sorry fans of them :)! All that was happening is they were collecting a lot of dust and started looking like a miniature scrap yard in my house I think I got caught up into trying to re-kindle my happy childhood because I had now got the financial means to do it but it wasn't working!, what has worked is I sold the lot apart from about 5 rc cars which include hotshot, kyosho optima (re-re) which is just brilliant! And sand scorcher and monster beetle I use them all not hammer them and that's when i have got my childhood memories back when I basically play around with them (to the dismay of my wife and kids who are not kid anymore :rolleyes:) but I think of nothing else while I'm with any of those brilliant cars!

I like to consider myself lucky in that I don't desire any further or any different RC cars than what I already have :)

The 5 or 6 that I have get very light use, some get absolutely no use, they are all vintage and I have owned them all for many years with exception of my Monster Beetle which was the one car I always wanted growing up that I never managed to get my hands on so picked up a project one in 2009.

Makes it a fairly cheap hobby for me :lol:

On 6/13/2016 at 1:07 AM, Dojo Dave said:

why do we do this. Is it just me or are the rest of you guys the same, looks cheap  gotta have it?

"The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear its fill of hearing."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Oh Grasshopper you speak riddle which make me smile . lol. So very true. 

19 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I like this. Some of you may know this, some may not. Although I live in Colorado and I'm an American citizen, I am Afghan. I was born in Kabul and came to the US as a 1st generation immigrant in 1980 after the Soviets invaded. In my language, we have a saying; "Chishim gushna." It literally translates to hungry eyes, as in you can't get enough of what you see. 90+ RCs in my house and I feel I truly understand what this saying means as do a lot of you on here lol.

• Like 2