Sign in to follow this  
salvine

Backing white body?

Few people like translucent RC car bodies. PS-12 Silver works very well to back white paint; I have used it with great success on two of my cars now.

I use silver then either black or white again, depending on what colour I want it to be inside (assuming you're not tinting the windows). Race / rally car = white, road car = black.

Jang from UltimateRC once mentioned the same as Truck Norris did. According to him, silver works very well to back white paint on the inside of lexan bodyshells, especially if you want to apply darker coats like black later on for a more realistic interior appearance.

The real reason I bring this up is because I just painted an old Kyosho McLaren GTR shell that had started to yellow. I tried several attempts to get it to clear up but in the end just painted it. It looks OK but you can tell that it is not a true white. Was hoping that backing it might help but my test of some extra lexan did not make a difference. You can tell its a bit off but unless it's right next to a pure white surface it will have to pass. No amount of peroxide and sun could clear it up.

Backing white with silver will generally make it a brighter white with a hint of a metallic hue, banking it in any other colour will tend to make the colour darker with a hint of the naming colour used. This is normally the case with lexan shells, given that your shell has discoloured, you may see that discolouration and the backing colour show on and through the white. 

The above info is based on what I've read around the Web, and have been advised of by lexan body painters I have spoken with here in nz 

12 hours ago, salvine said:

The real reason I bring this up is because I just painted an old Kyosho McLaren GTR shell that had started to yellow. I tried several attempts to get it to clear up but in the end just painted it. It looks OK but you can tell that it is not a true white. Was hoping that backing it might help but my test of some extra lexan did not make a difference. You can tell its a bit off but unless it's right next to a pure white surface it will have to pass. No amount of peroxide and sun could clear it up.

I always back bodies with silver and then black. I have actually backed some bright coloured bodies with white, then silver and then black and has worked pretty well too.

Since you are facing discoloration issues, maybe you should consider painting the outside of the body and then applying a clear coat.

+1 for silver, i use Rustoleum for plastics spray because it's so great for backing.  if it cracks, who cares it's a backing coat.  very economical.

I also use gold for red.  Gives it a nice quality.