Sign in to follow this  
magpie

fwd buggy

hello

found this fwd buggy on internet,think its home made.any ideas about what its made from,what bodyshell its using.

fwd buggy 1.jpg

fwd buggy 2.jpg

• Like 1

The body looks to me like a mutilated body from the vintage buggy called the RCL Incident. It was the only buggy ever made by the company RCL. Example.

• Like 1

The Ryuz FF is originally from the late 80s/early 90s; it's a hand-built prototype; FWD was used because back in the day it was not uncommon to race on loose dirt:

FFProto2.jpg

FFProto.jpg

There were also three brands that released production FWD buggy kits: Kyosho (Maxxum FF), MRC (Sandmaster) and Nichimo (Vantage & Spirit FF). The fine details I don't know because I wasn't in the RC hobby yet back then, but I have heard FWD was popular in several regions, amongst which Japan and France. They were also around for a short amount of time as a result of their success: The story is that one or several drivers - who were beforehand not considered to be in contention for the win - turned up at an IFMAR Worlds' warm-up with such cars and dominated the event; the IFMAR banned them from the 2WD class - instead it was to run with 4WD, where it couldn't keep up. Regulations from regional racing organisations also banned the car (although the EFRA and BRCA reverted that a few years later).

In that time, developing and producing a car required more resources and effort than it does now, so being that the car had no competitive advantage anymore, it no longer had a place in the product line-up of a car manufacturer.

25 years on, and the story is quite different: tires, shocks and knowledge on RWD suspension geometry had been developed significantly. Also, most tracks nowadays are not nearly as bumpy and the grip levels are higher. The FWD's strengths (consistency in all conditions) still apply and the performance of the cars is quite even now; the FWD buggy can have some advantage in tricky conditions, the RWD can have the benefit if there is good and consistent grip.

PS: This is what a modern FWD buggy performs like amongst RWDs:

• Like 2

I never knew what that buggy was called. It's the first time I've seen it in color. RC Car Action had a tiny black and white photo of the Camel liveried car in the "Inside Scoop" section of the mag way back when. It was long after the Nichimo Spirit FF but just before the the Kyosho Maxxum FF.