Sign in to follow this  
JoFan

Guinness Tanker?

I just got back from my first trip to Ireland. First trip to anywhere in Europe. And I've had an idea. I've always wanted to build one of the Tamiya rigs, but never really had any inspiration. Now I want to build a Guinness truck, with a functional tanker. Always loved it anyway, and I really like the look of the euro trucks better. Saw some a lot closer than I expected on the Irish roads. Because I've not dealt with the rigs before, where would be a good place to start? To keep it simple (and a little cheaper), I was thinking about using a single axle truck like the Scania R470, but would that be a problem with the tanker trailer? Especially with added weight of the beer? And has anyone else actually made their tankers hold liquid of any kind? I can't seem to find any info on that.

Nice idea B) Quite partial to a drop myself although my preference would be Murphy's  

I would say any of the rigs would be able to pull the weight of a tanker trailer loaded with 'liquid' - but maybe consider using the higher torque motor option.

You will get more traction from a rig with 2 driven axles. There is not a great deal of difference in the price of single / double axle rigs.

Assume you are thinking about using the Tamiya tanker trailer ? 

The tank will however readily leak your valuable cargo unless you seal all the joints but probably better to line it with something similar to the bag inside a wine box - this type of bag is obviously suitable to hold drinkable liquids - other types of liner may cause an unpleasant taste - and you wouldn't want that !

Sounds like an interesting project - good luck !

• Like 1

How scale is a can? Could you do a flat bed to haul a can around?

• Like 2

Camelbak makes liquid bladders in various sizes that would fit in the length of the tanker trailer. You could hide the hoses within the rails of the trailer chassis. Sure would make an interesting dispense rig at a party

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Shodog said:

Camelbak makes liquid bladders in various sizes that would fit in the length of the tanker trailer. You could hide the hoses within the rails of the trailer chassis. Sure would make an interesting dispense rig at a party

That's the idea! I hadn't thought about the camelback option

1 hour ago, Nobbi1977 said:

How scale is a can? Could you do a flat bed to haul a can around?

I had considered that. But I saw an image of a nice big stainless tanker with the Guinness script on the side, and really like that idea.

1 hour ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Nice idea B) Quite partial to a drop myself although my preference would be Murphy's  

I would say any of the rigs would be able to pull the weight of a tanker trailer loaded with 'liquid' - but maybe consider using the higher torque motor option.

You will get more traction from a rig with 2 driven axles. There is not a great deal of difference in the price of single / double axle rigs.

Assume you are thinking about using the Tamiya tanker trailer ? 

The tank will however readily leak your valuable cargo unless you seal all the joints but probably better to line it with something similar to the bag inside a wine box - this type of bag is obviously suitable to hold drinkable liquids - other types of liner may cause an unpleasant taste - and you wouldn't want that !

Sounds like an interesting project - good luck !

I was figuring on using the 55 turn crawler motor. I had a coupe of those in a clod crawler (back when everything was still home made) and they were awesome pullers. I've got an Egress to build, and my other FPV Racer Frog, too, but I'm thinking this project is in the near future! 

27 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Guinness-Lorry-website-2.jpg

I really like that one, but I'm thinking it's probably above my skill set to pull off. Unless I just happen to find some cans that size, somehow. I was thinking more along the lines of this.

11-270.jpg

Wouldn't be an exact replica using the Tamiya trailer, even still, but it should be close enough for my purposes. 

• Like 3

I would start by getting the tractor unit built and painted up first and then think about trailers afterwards. 

Yeah, that's probably good advice. Cost-wise, it will help, too. Just priced everything together, with the MSC (probably going to use an alternate there) and it came up to right at $1000. :o

16 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Big kit = big money

Very true. That's the main reason I've never tried any of these. Not as much of an issue now. Did check out the Mercedes Benz 1850L build on Tamiya USA's site, with the really cool Coca Cola truck they built there. Might be another option. Could look pretty cool with a tap in the back doors. Still thinking and dreaming!

For the trailer, I would buy a Hercules Hobbies 3 axle flatbed or container trailer to use as a donor for the axles and chassis, and build my own trailer.. You could make a tank out of some 90mm PVC Pipe and endcaps, so that it will hold liquid..

If you wanted to do the trailer with the 2 cans, maybe you could use a real can to get the picture printed on vinyl and make a big sticker/decal to wrap around the tank..

Alternatively you could put a PVC tank in the Tamiya tanker trailer.. You could always just recycle a couple of plastic cordial bottles to go inside the tank..

Just be aware that the Tamiya Tanker trailer is an oval shape, not perfectly round, so it wont look like the ones above..

Interesting idea this. I think your major problem will be with weight (having built a few heavy model myself) and the rear springs on the tractor unit compressing under the weight.  I built a 6x6 off road truck to carry a scale log load and had to add TT-01 shocks and springs to stop the standard leaf springs from sagging. Also I originally built mine with a 55turn ansmann motor in it, but then went back to a 540 (It seemed to lack power compared with the 540.). Look forward to see what you come up with.

Regarding the weight.. A 90mm cylinder, 800mm long, by my maths is about 5 litres.. A litre of water is 1 Kg, so the contents will weigh approx. 5Kg, plus the weight of the trailer (another 2kg-3kg) so we are looking at 8kg all up?? 8kg should not be a big drama for one of these tri-axle trailers..

You could always add more leaves to the leaf springs (say from a Hi-Lift Kit), or there are coil over oil shocks available to replace the stock ones (although they don't look very scale) Another option would be to replace the small springs in each shock with some silicon fuel tube..

Coil over shocks.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALLOY-REAR-SHOCK-DAMPER-TAMIYA-1-14-KING-KNIGHT-HAULER-TRACTOR-TRUCK-56301-56314-/380272362555?hash=item5889ffc43b:m:mb_e2LQDGFMaQo1B*******sGdg 

Hmm. That's all food for thought. Glad you had some rough dimensions, Backlash. i was about to ask that question. The problem with the cans is finding some large enough. Even the draught cans aren't that big. I had a thought about maybe cutting them length-wise and putting them over the PVC, but I'm not sure that would look very good. Kinda why I was thinking the single cylinder tank would be easier. Those tri-axle trailers do look a lot more like the one I pictured above, though. A little less expensive, too. I'm almost thinking about doing this backward, and putting the trailer before the truck. Seems like that will be the most work-intensive part.

Oops, I just re-read your first post, Backlash. The vinyl idea could work. I like that.

kinda kills the scale-ness, but this could be cool on a trailer. :lol:

715re7Q7CaL._SX450_.jpg

JoFan, where in the world are you located??

Are you on Facebook by chance??

There are quite a few RC truck groups on Facebook, that may help you in your build..

11 hours ago, Backlash said:

Regarding the weight.. A 90mm cylinder, 800mm long, by my maths is about 5 litres.. A litre of water is 1 Kg, so the contents will weigh approx. 5Kg, plus the weight of the trailer (another 2kg-3kg) so we are looking at 8kg all up?? 8kg should not be a big drama for one of these tri-axle trailers..

You could always add more leaves to the leaf springs (say from a Hi-Lift Kit), or there are coil over oil shocks available to replace the stock ones (although they don't look very scale) Another option would be to replace the small springs in each shock with some silicon fuel tube..

Coil over shocks.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALLOY-REAR-SHOCK-DAMPER-TAMIYA-1-14-KING-KNIGHT-HAULER-TRACTOR-TRUCK-56301-56314-/380272362555?hash=item5889ffc43b:m:mb_e2LQDGFMaQo1B*******sGdg 

I was thinking of the weight on the single axle on the rear of the tractor unit, rather than the trailer. Also the leafs from the hi lift are a different shape (more curve) than those used on the 1/14 trucks (I went through all this when I built the 6x6). If the trailers weigh 8 8kg all up, then assuming that's 4kg on the 5th wheel and 4kg on the trailer axles, then as you say the trailer axles will be fine, but the 5th wheel on the tractor will be like having a clod buster sat on top of it.......

18 hours ago, Backlash said:

JoFan, where in the world are you located??

Are you on Facebook by chance??

There are quite a few RC truck groups on Facebook, that may help you in your build..

I'm in  the US. I do use Facebook, I'll have to look around there. That's the trailer I thought you meant, I found it on asiatees. I think it should work just fine. I was actually looking to see if I could find a stainless tank close to the correct dimension when I ran across that mini keg, But I do agree that the PVC tank should work just fine, if I can find a way to make the end caps more or less flush.

8 minutes ago, JoFan said:

if I can find a way to make the end caps more or less flush.

When I made the PVC pipe tank for one of my trucks, what I did was used a second length of PVC pipe, and made a single cut lengthways down the pipe which allowed me to slide it over the first piece of pipe like a sheath so it sat flush between the endcaps.... All that I needed to do then was fill the small seam where the outer sheath met the endcap at each end of the tank.. The open seam that ran the length of the tank was then placed at the bottom so it couldn't be seen..

I can take a pic of the tank I made if that helps..

• Like 1

That makes a lot of sense. I see how that could work pretty easily.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I was thinking of the weight on the single axle on the rear of the tractor unit, rather than the trailer. Also the leafs from the hi lift are a different shape (more curve) than those used on the 1/14 trucks (I went through all this when I built the 6x6). If the trailers weigh 8 8kg all up, then assuming that's 4kg on the 5th wheel and 4kg on the trailer axles, then as you say the trailer axles will be fine, but the 5th wheel on the tractor will be like having a clod buster sat on top of it.......

As I said, I don't know that 5Kg's would be that great of an issue, but if there is genuine concern then buy the 6x4 Scania 620..

If its only the springs that are the concern, you do realise that the 4x2 and the 6x4 trucks use the same single spring in the rear.. (The 4x2 spring just has 2 extra holes so it can be screwed to the diff/axle)..

I've seen these trucks being driven around with small children sitting on flatbed trailers, pulling Tipper trailers full of dirt, even 40 pound D11 Bulldozers on custom made low loaders..

• Like 1

Hey, Backlash, how did you mount the PVC to the trailer?