GTodd

TRF 801X

Happy 4th of July weekend! So I have had this sitting NIB for a couple years, life and time has just got ahead of me. I'm starting the build now. I'm not a professional racer, I will go to the local tracks and racer here and there, but I'm more of a basher. I love Tamiya's and that's why I'm using this buggy for my entry into the 1/8 buggy world. The design is a few years old but it can still hold its own. I have a 801xt that is now brushless that has no problem holding its own against newer models. I haven't decided on what servos to use. Ill be using the pipe engine combo that I ran in the XT before I converted it to brushless.  I'm going to use the set up example from the Tamiya website by Lutz http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=588#.V3a_U4-cHD4.... anyone a painter out there who can duplicate that paint job for me???? The engine is a 28 LRP which is a beast!!!!!!

Anyway. Here are the first few pictures. Itll be a SLOW build

Plastic still on, I'm not a NIB collector!!!

IMG_20160701_112605987.jpg pic upload

The parts get to see the light of day again!!!

IMG_20160701_113026.jpg free upload image

A better look at all of the wonderful Tamiya goodness!!!

IMG_20160701_113136.jpg host image online

XT Big Brother

IMG_20160701_113449.jpg screengrab

• Like 2

I will be watching this with interest.

This one of my favorite Tamiya's, lots of good build info over on rctech from factory racer Ryan Lutz. Good servos are the Hitec 7955TG or Tower Hobby TS170 (same servo)

Ill start tomorrow with the differentials. Built to Lutz's specs. Anyone have the link to Xtreme RC's review,of the 801x, I cant find it.

I'll show the build phase of the differentials in a bit. I always wondered what the differences were between the XT and X. Here are two chassis side by side. They are the standard kit ones not the light weight. The Gold is the truggy, Black the Buggy.

IMG_20160702_130236.jpg

• Like 1

Ok guys, happy Independence day to my fellow AMERICANS!!!! Family is in San Diego, I had to work.  I have some time to start this awesome buggy!!!

Got all my oils ready. What's neat is my buggy came with two different differential weights, I wonder if it was from lessons learned. My XT only came with the pink.

IMG_20160704_180906.jpg

Typical Tamiya, tons of parts to build one component. The differentials are bomb proof, and you can see why. But all these parts make it timely to adjust weights and maintenance. They are bomb proof, a year of racing my XT with a 28 LRP showed no wear.

IMG_20160704_181851.jpg

...and here is the beast that's going to power it. Already broken in. Only two gallons of fuel through it. Ill be back soon as I build the diffs.

IMG_20160704_180935.jpg

• Like 1

Time for an update guys.  Front and rear differentials are assembled.  I put 7000 in the front and 5000 in the rear. I used a paint pen to write FR on the front differential so I wouldn't install them backward!!!! Here you can also see the stock silver diferential ring.  There are reports of these breaking, Ive been trying to find 2 sets of blue ones for a year. If any of you have them please PM!!!! Here is a series of steps.  Ill be back in a few with more pictures.

IMG_20160704_193944.jpg

IMG_20160704_202507.jpg

IMG_20160704_204133.jpg

OK, last step for tonight, Ive got the parts assembled for the rear bulkhead. LOTS of parts.

IMG_20160705_001342.jpg

Nice work GTodd,

I have four Hop Up diff rings for my builds (when I finally get to them), But I have not seen any available for a very long time.

Here is a workable fix if you cant find the Hop Up diff rings, Its what the TRF801X racers were doing over on RCTECH.

" The M4 nut is wedged in between the cast ring and the plastic rear bulkhead (where the chassis brace is connected to the rear). Then I added a bit of glue so it was set to the cast ring. Once I did this, I had no problems, every so often the nut may come loose, but it is a fairly easy mod, just jam it in there as tight as you can with a screwdriver and glue it."

Paulo.

Wow that was easy!!!! I wonder if Tamiya changed the composition of their materials for the bulkheads?  When I built the XT screwing the screws into the bulkhead resulted on two striped heads and a lot of cursing, this time it was nice and easy. No chasing of threads or other tricks needed. Here is the beginning of the rear being assembled.

IMG_20160705_004221.jpg

IMG_20160705_010427.jpg

Nice to see another 801 getting built.  I still have my 801XT, and I have a 801X NIB for when the time is right.  Carry on!

Love watching these things go together.  Thanks for doing a build thread.  Subbed.

Some more work is done.  Working on the rear suspension still.  Attaching the rear suspension arms. And getting ready for the hubs and drive shafts.

IMG_20160705_134900.jpg

IMG_20160705_193715.jpg

The rear suspension is done, minus the shocks.

IMG_20160705_213602.jpg

• Like 1

PS , thank you for the kind compliments gents!

PSS, progress will be slow now. Going to build this with my 4yr old little man now that they are back from visiting Grandma and Grandpa.

No build updates until tomorrow, but i do need some help. I need a servo recommendation, what budget servo offers good speed and torque for steering purposes? I have an extra metal servo that I'm using for the throttle and brake but it's a micro so it won't hold up to steering duties, and I don't dare put one of my bazillion s148s in for steering duties!

Anything good in the 50 and under range?

3 hours ago, GTodd said:

No build updates until tomorrow, but i do need some help. I need a servo recommendation, what budget servo offers good speed and torque for steering purposes? I have an extra metal servo that I'm using for the throttle and brake but it's a micro so it won't hold up to steering duties, and I don't dare put one of my bazillion s148s in for steering duties!

Anything good in the 50 and under range?

Servos in 1/8 cars are very important, I would recommend spending as much as you can afford on both throttle/brake and steering. Something from Xpert, Savox, Highest, Hitec is where I'd be looking in the 20kg range. The throttle/brake servo gets placed under immense stress particularly when trying to pull up a large heavy buggy/Truggy using brakes, and the steering servo obviously cops a decent workout too. Been racing 1/8 offroad now for the last 8 years.

**Edit - for buggy you could probably go to 10-15kg

Back with some updates. The front was a little frustrating. The bulkhead required taping of the screw holes and instill stripped the four screw heads. I just ordered some caped heads. I wonder why the rear went to so easily and the front didn't. What is really neat is the use of a screw to capture the hub pin and not a dreaded e clip!!Here it is the front, love that TRF blue. The quality is amazing!!! Having a problem uploading, getting a over 4mb error. Will get pics up in a bit.

IMG_20160716_110334.jpg

IMG_20160716_112920.jpg

IMG_20160716_113537.jpg

IMG_20160716_113706.jpg

Sorry I didn't get a picture of the parts laid out, I forgot to.