jBrinks

King Cab / Monster Racer SC10 Tranny Swamp

I dug my childhood King Cab out of storage a couple months ago and have been dealing with all the common headaches. I wanted to post some pics of my tranny swap. Lots of people talk about this, but I've only seen 2 threads with multiple pics to give a sense (1 - Traxxas VXL / 1 - RC10) of how it worked. I am technically, but not mechanically, inclined, so I was really hesitant to get started on this. I'm not sure I'd be eager to go through this again, but I'm really happy with the results. 

What I used:

1. SC10 brushless ready 2WD tranny with slipper clutch and standard pinion (~45.00 USD)
  2. 12x12" (1/8") G10 Garite fiberglass (~15.00)
  3. Jigsaw with hard tile/diamond blade (~8.00)
  4. Kolbalt Filing Set (borrowed)
  5. Respirator/Gloves (borrowed)
  6. Matching screws/nuts/bits/etc. (~5.00)

I traced out the sub chassis on to the new fiberglass sheet and cut it out with the jigsaw. Once it was close I clamped the old and new together and hand filed it to match. Then drilled the chassis and wheel arms mount holes. 

P1040154.JPG

P1040155.JPG

The hardest part is lining up where the new tranny will mount, marking off the holes, and then filing out an area for the bottom of the tranny to rest in. I used a ruler. Turned out very good, but I would be a bit more precise next time. 

P1040157.JPGP1040158.JPG

Had some difficulty with the bottom mounts and spacing where the motor guard attaches. Eventually got it lined up right and spaced. Pic shows ball bearings but I got some metal spacers from my hardware store now.

P1040175.JPG

I drilled out a small space in the chassis where the stock tranny top-mounts. I put a piece of fiberglass across the stock chassis tranny mounts (outside screws), and then mounted the SC10 tranny using its top mounts through the fiberglass (middle screws).

P1040168.JPGP1040169.JPG

Finding dogbones/swing shafts that fit were an absolute pain in the ***. I finally found some cheap steel ones from NitroRCX that measured 70mm eye/pin to eye/pin. I think anything 68-71mm would work.

P1040171.JPG

I also took the time to cut out a new electronics tray so I could fit a hardshell Li-Po more centrally along side the electronics:

P1040167.JPGP1040172.JPG

I'm happy to say this thing is much quieter and is a blast to drive. Might need a wheelie bar now.

• Like 5

That looks very much like what I've just done (: Have ordered some 68mm pin to pin dogbones, as the 70.5mm pin to pin from my Blitzer Beetle is definitely at least a couple of mm too long.

Just did a little Dremling on the chassis - I'd say it looks ok'ish (:

U5TtsgI.jpg

4GT5kk3.jpg

• Like 3

That's awesome. What I'd really like is a set of CV swing shafts so I can convert to modern hex adapters with some bigger wheels for fun, but the extra long rear axles are making it impossible. Getting plain dogbones were hard enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jBrinks said:

That's awesome. What I'd really like is a set of CV swing shafts so I can convert to modern hex adapters with some bigger wheels for fun, but the extra long rear axles are making it impossible. Getting plain dogbones were hard enough. 

Search ebay.com for dog bones. That's how I found the 68mm ones. It's never in the title, so dig and dig deep....

20 hours ago, jBrinks said:

Ha, why don't you CNC me up a set of those axles ;)

Because I have no more access to the lathe, I'm sorry.

:(

Max

On 15/7/2016 at 11:31 PM, jBrinks said:

P1040168.JPG

I think your dampers need some tlc.

:D

Max

17 minutes ago, kontemax said:

Great! It's powerfull!

Max

Yeah. 9T BL with a semi dis-charged lipo. This could replace my Blitzer Beetle as my primary beach basher (:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flerbizky said:

Double posting here in case someone will miss the other thread (:

Wow, that SC10 tranny can handle some serious power, awesome work!!  Would love to see it bashing on a beach :D.

Great work jBrinks, would love to see yours in action :).

6 minutes ago, kontemax said:

The King Cab is a real jumper.

Max

A real High Flyer :D.....  Seen your pics Max!!

17 hours ago, jBrinks said:

I've since got some new dampers. They're much better!

I'm quite surprised how well the crawler ones I got for mine works!. Mind you, jumping has been kept to a minimum so far, but they feel really nice!

Yeah, I put some GPM 110mm threaded alloy on mine and I've been really happy. Especially at 7 dollars a pair.

6 hours ago, kontemax said:

The reservoirs will touch the hubs and the knuckles.

Max

They don't.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2016 at 10:17 AM, Flerbizky said:

They don't.

You lucky man. Mine did touch, I had to remove them.

Max