thunderstriker

Giving a vintage Thunder Shot some fun factor

Been getting back into the RC hobby thanks to kids, the best car in the house being a Kyosho RB6.

Back in the day I had a few different cars but always had a real soft spot for my Thunder Shot, which seemed to get the most use so out of nostalgia got a 'spares and repairs' one on Ebay to bring back to life. As it happened, aside from a broken A5 (which I remember happening to me way back) it was complete and everything worked. It's clearly bog-standard spec and I'd like to rebuild/restore it to get it running as sweet as possible and  be more fun than standard.

I'm going to get full ball bearings (no brainer)

I'm toying with going brushless but want it to be a usable, drivable car and not something bonkers that pulverises itself.

Was thinking getting a Tamiya super stock motor (but which one?) to be vintage sympathetic but if there's a brushless option that would suit I'm all ears. Regardless of brushed-v-brushless what ESCs would by a good option?

Any other must-do mods you guys can recommend?

• Like 1

I use a 13T EzRun system in my T/Shot and it screams and it loves it LOL

I have adj top links, Unis all round and a alloy A5 brace, Custom wing mounts & wing and modern rubber on 2.2 wheels. Not in pic.

Seriously under rated buggy...

Photo181_zps18580955.jpg

• Like 1

id say any of the super stocks would be fine (mine currently run rz and bz's)

for more of a period 'look' get a mfa rx-15 plus which seems to be the Tamiya technigold under a modern name and has good reviews

plenty fast enough and motors cheap to rebuild

i like modelsports own xt-12 (down to 12t motor) esc

its waterproof and although the quicrun esc is cheaper the modelsport one has a similar sized switch to Tamiya so I can mount the switch properly in the chassis, quicrun esc has a tiny switch

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MAD RACER said:

I use a 13T EzRun system in my T/Shot and it screams and it loves it LOL

Smart-looking TS! What batteries do you use with the EzRun?

54 minutes ago, MAD RACER said:

IMG_4849_zpspcqd8wjm.jpg

Here it is, next to my daughter's well-bashed Helion. Just added an eBay A5 brace (original part broken on one side, but I haven't replaced the plastic part as the brace seems plenty strong. Ball bearing set and a decision on the motor choice and I'll start the resto.

As it's still huge fun to drive thinking I'll maybe treat it to a brushless. I use a Speed Passion 8.5t in my Kyosho and they do a 13.5t kit too, which is about the same price as the HobbyWing and readily available.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, thunderstriker said:

Smart-looking TS! What batteries do you use with the EzRun?

Just Hobby king Nano Tech 4200 stick pack. A tight fit but it fits.