Lhodgo

Hotshot Upgrades

Hey guys, I collect vintage but purchased a Rere Hotshot to thrash around. I have completely fallen in love with this buggy and want to upgrade it to smash everything else. I've done the norms, technigold, ball bearings. Any other tips? Was thinking upgrading the wheels tires to something more updated?

My thoughts on hop ups....

DF-03 rims and tyres, you'll need some 12mm hex adaptors also.

Top Force universal joints all round.

Thorp ball diffs if you can find them.

Parma bump steer eliminator kit.

Super Shot skid plate

Steel pinion

Super Stock BZ motor

or you can check put threads like this one 

What sort of KV do you get from the Supef Stock BZ motor and what's the Parma bump steer eliminator kit?

10 minutes ago, Lhodgo said:

What sort of KV do you get from the Supef Stock BZ motor and what's the Parma bump steer eliminator kit?

Tamiya claim 26500@7.2v no load. So KV is 3,681.

Anyone explain to me what a parma bump steer eliminator kit is? Also on another thread I've been discussing ESC and since I've taken Snappy1's advice to go for a SS BZ motor it looks as though I'll need to upgrade the electrics too. Thoughts on this? I want this to be my daily runner that pull the pants down of people thinking its old school.

Also have a quirky question. I've just stripped down the Hotshots gear boxes and re-greased etc. I've put the car back together but noticed when I turn a rear wheel by hand the opposite wheel turns in the same direction. I'm sure before I worked on the gear boxes when I turned a rear wheel say clockwise the other rear wheel would turn anti clockwise. Have I put the gear boxes back together incorrect? I want to know before I run it in case I'll damage it.

The Parma bump steer eliminator kit is a pair of extended ball studs for the steering arms the idea is to make the steering arms 'more' parallel to the suspension arms to reduce the bump steer.

For the esc have a look at the quicrun 1060.

With the gearbox re-build did you use anti-wear grease in the diff? This will stiffen it up and give some limited slip and cause the wheels to spin in the same direction. If you hold one wheel can you spin the other freely?

Putting the motor back in fixed this 😁😂😂😂

anyone know the model of the thorp ball diffs that would fit the hotty?

On 28 July 2016 at 7:16 PM, Snappy1 said:

My thoughts on hop ups....

DF-03 rims and tyres, you'll need some 12mm hex adaptors also.

Top Force universal joints all round.

Thorp ball diffs if you can find them.

Parma bump steer eliminator kit.

Super Shot skid plate

Steel pinion

Super Stock BZ motor

or you can check put threads like this one 

Hi do you no what the model number for the thorp ball diffs are the will fit the hotshot?

Hi guys, Hotshot upgrade coming along nicely. Searching for the Thorp diffs, no luck yet. Went with black egress wheels, looks rad. I've upgrade electrics tamiya 302bk ESC and a tactic tsx45 servo and radio. Motor to a super stock BZ motor.

One dumb question. I have literally just plugged all of this in and it's running...however...reverse is super slow and as soon as I back off the throttle it stops sharply. Also if I turn off the radio before the car (I know that's the wrong order) it blasts off at full throttle.

as I just plugged in everything, should I, or do I have to re-program anything? The ESC?

image.jpeg

I have never used that ESC, but I would suggest reprogramming it from scratch.

How does it go now? lol

Are you running a lipo ?

Are you running a 13 or 15 t pinion?

No lipo, have never gone there...should I? I chucked a 15t pinion in it as that was the recommendation in the kit originally. I'm yet to let it rip until I have sorted out the ESC but will give you an update.

Reverse should be slower than forwards as the ESC supplies 60A for reverse and 120A for forward. Plus the motor is directional, so faster in one direction than the other. So it depends what you mean by super slow.

The motor stops much faster than a silver can when power cuts off as the magnets are dramatically more powerful. Turn both by hand and you'll feel the difference.

From the manual - "If settings are correct, LED will turn off when trigger is in neutral, turn on when accelerating / reversing, and turn off when at maximum acceleration / full braking".

"If receiver is turned on while transmitter is off, LED will flash,. If motor is connected an alarm will also sound".

EDIT: Hotshot gear ratio is 8.704:1 with the 15 tooth pinion. The Superstock BZ is recommended to run 9:1 to 11:1, so really you want to fit the 13 tooth pinion which gives 10.043:1.

All that info is awesome thanks Fuijo. I don't get all that ratio business but it sounds like you do so I'll take your word for it! I guess u am just not used to a modern motor. I'll run the ESC program and change the pinion to a 13t and see how I go.

Just to add to the 'hop-ups' - I would recommend a pair of these. I broke one of mine within a couple of months attempting an optimistic maneuver. Ordered a pair of these around 5 years ago and still going strong.

I used to run a Super Stock TZ motor (very similar to the BZ) and then changed to brushless and lipo. After the novelty of 'fast but only in a straight line' wore off, I've dialled the power down considerably and now get more enjoyment (and longevity) from one of my favourites. To be honest, the Hotshot chassis/suspension can't really handle much more than a Super Stock in stock(ish) form (although the gearbox is fairly robust in my experience).

I also have one of these (didn't pay that much though!) but to be honest, either I'm doing something wrong or it doesn't do very much, as I can't say I've noticed a great deal of difference.

• Like 1

The gear ratio is pretty simple really. For example 9:1 means the motor rotates 9 times for each revoloution of the wheels. The more times the motor rotates for every turn of the wheels, the less work the motor has to do.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2016 at 3:44 AM, Snappy1 said:

Those ball diffs are pretty expensive.   Do they make that big of a difference in performance?  

and also, where does one find  "Top Force universal joints all round".

Thanks...asking for my Super Hotshot rere i just got :)

On 8/21/2016 at 5:34 AM, Lhodgo said:

Thanks Snappy1!

Total party foul...  But I thought I would throw it out there...

I have a used Thorp setup I could sell you for fairly cheap...  I got it used out of a Blackfoot I picked up a EBAY...  The Diff Parts are complete - you'll have to find the other HS pieces...  And you'll probably want to pick up NOS Thorp pieces to upgrade this as you go along...  That's what I've done for my own Frog...

Are you in the US???

Terry