eyco80

MRC Tamiya Road winner

These buggies are not something you come across everyday. I think I have a new pair of halfshafts for the Road Winner somewhere, in case you want to trade. ;)

thanks for the replay's :) 

yes i think it was produce from 84-88 or 89 under MRC/Tamiya. 

i got my'n in 89 and it was stored until now, i just found it in the garage and since the electronics are more affordable this days i decided to renew it. 

its nice to see it runs after 26 year :D  

now im looking for a Hotshot to make a side by side video.

The Road Winner is not technically a Tamiya. It was sold by MRC who was the Tamiya distributor in the US in the early '80s. I could be wrong, but I think it was made by Monogram to be branded for MRC (Model Rectifier Corporation).

something like that, i know they sold under tamiya like you said...

i think monogram made a french copy of the mrc, they have a little differences in the body and shocks... 

Yep, the MRC Road Winner was definitely not a Tamiya. Rather, it seems to have been a sibling or descendant of the Bandai Interceptor. As were the Monogram Tornado, and the Monogram Brushfire. Differences between these models can be seen in suspension and body, but there are enough underlying similarities.

The french copy that eyco80 mentions, is possibly the Sammo Road Winner - which is again another sibling of these models. I know for a fact the Sammo Road Winner was manufactured in Korea. I also know that Monogram had a history of rebranding foreign R/C cars (e.g. the Monogram Lightning and Monogram Thunder were rebrandings of the original Yonezawa Land Dash and Yonezawa Missiler from Japan).

I don't know where the MRC Road Winner was manufactured though - was it Korea as well?

The fractured history of some of these models suggests their designs or molds were either cloned or sold off to other companies. Similar to how the later models from Japanese R/C company Mugen Engineering Co. seemed to either be cloned or reproduced by non-japanese brands like Panda (Taiwan) and Academy (Korea). 

H.

• Like 1